You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Re: Slash album reviews

Naltav wrote:

Been listening to the album a few days now back to back. And that in itself is more then I did with the last VR album. That's allways a good sign...  smile

I would not consider myself a Slash-fan at all. I have some problems with things he's done, that to me reeks of sellout (VW-commercial...).

But on this, his THIRD soloalbum (c'mon! Slash's Snakepit are soloalbums!!!), he seems like he has called his friends in the buisness and put together a good "project" and not a soloalbum....  smile

Favourite songs: Ghost, By The Sword, Doctor Alibi and Nothing To Say.

I kinda whish that he would have settled on only one singer. When he now goes on tour, By The Sword (i.e) will just sound wrong without Stockdale on vocals. I also wish he would have pushed him self a little more, if you know what I mean...? He plays it a bit to safe, imo.

But all in all, an album worth having in my collection! smile

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I've listened to this album quite a lot, and at first I wasn't that impressed, but I find myself going back and listening to it more and more, and really liking more and more on there. I'm really digging Back From Cali and Nothing To Say at the moment, and even Promise has become a favourite.

I rate it much, much higher than Libertad, definitely up there with Contraband.

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:

I love this album. When I think of "Five O'Clock" there are so many tracks that I just skip, same with "Ain't Life Grand" there are also moments on "Ain't Life" where my skin just crawls with the cheesiness of it all, back to the moment for example. This album has not got that cheese, even gotten which is the most lovey dovey song on the album is lent credence by the fact it is sung by a guy who has made a career out of that type of songs. Adam Levine isn't compromising his integrity by singing a love song, because love songs are his thing.

Lemmy isn't compromising any integrity by doing a balls to the wall rocker because that's what he does best.

Each singer is in his comfort zone here with the exception maybe of Fergie (but I think secretly she's a little rock n roller at heart) I mean that in a good way , like when Liam Gallagher says he never wants to leave his comfort zone because he doesn't want to jump the shark ( cornell timbaland style I suppose).

But Slash on the other hand, man, that boy goes places on this album he's never been before in his career.

Going from a song Like gotten (which has my favourite solo on the album) to a song like Nothing to say to By the sword. The fact that he is almost unnoticeable unless you listen out for him kind of just shows how he can meld well into all of these styles.

This is a modern classic in terms of Rock n Roll Collaborations. I don't skip a single track on this album. I can't even say that for appetite.

Gong
 Rep: 60 

Gong wrote:
Naltav wrote:

I would not consider myself a Slash-fan at all. I have some problems with things he's done, that to me reeks of sellout (VW-commercial...).

Do you think you could articulate (in your own words) why this bothers you so much?

Is it a problem with VW themselves, or are you just against any artist appearing in any commercial?

Naltav

Naltav wrote:
Gong wrote:
Naltav wrote:

Do you think you could articulate (in your own words) why this bothers you so much?

Is it a problem with VW themselves, or are you just against any artist appearing in any commercial?

Does that statement even need to spelled out...?

It's not a problem with VW, I drive a VW Polo.  smile

It's just that an artist looses a lot of credibility in my eyes when he does something like that for no other apparent reason than a quick paycheck!

If he had done a one-time-thing, like help promote a new Les Paul or a Marshall-amp for a very special occation and that was that. I don't think I would have thought twice about it.

But with Slash, he seems to constantly be doing stuff to make some extra $$$:

- American Idol
- Guitar-straps 
- Amps
- Car commercials on TV(!)
- Celebrity Poker Tournaments
- Playing guitar at basketball- and baseballmatches
- Selling and promoting videogames

We're just lucky he's NOT in full controll over the GNR back catalogue!

With that said, I'm not totally crazy about some of DJ Ashba's activities either....

Sorry for going totally off topic!
This thread is about Slash's third soloalbum, which I think is a good collection of songs that would have been a nice contribution on the various guest-artists own albums. To me, it's not a very coherent soloalbum.

Gong

Gong wrote:
Naltav wrote:

It's just that an artist looses a lot of credibility in my eyes when he does something like that for no other apparent reason than a quick paycheck!

Yes. But why does the artist lose credibility for you?

Naltav wrote:

Yes. It does appear that Slash is constantly doing stuff to make extra money - why does that bother you?

What other artists are you a fan of?

Naltav

Naltav wrote:
Gong wrote:
Naltav wrote:

Yes. But why does the artist lose credibility for you?

Naltav wrote:

Yes. It does appear that Slash is constantly doing stuff to make extra money - why does that bother you?

What other artists are you a fan of?

An artist to me is someone who does his thing and his art regardless of the financial reward. When Saul Hudson uses his artistc reputation, Slash, with the sole intent to make money, that to me takes away a good chunk of his credibility.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

I wish I had the quote but I think that Rogers Stevens of Blind Melon said it best back when people called the Hoon-less reunion of Melon a sell out. His point was, of course it's a sell out. You're doing it to make money. There's no degree of acceptable commercialization - either you're in it for the money or you're not.

I think what he said was "if we weren't sell outs we would just play music in our houses. the act of touring is selling out, recording an album on a label is selling out, anything where you make money is selling out".

It's a business. You're in it to make money.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Also slash is the type of person that needs to be doing something...otherwise an idle slash is bad for slash's health...that point has been proven time and time again during his career

anyway i think its great, the more i get to see of musicians i admire the better IMHO

Gong

Gong wrote:

Axl Rose said

What I'd tell any kid in high school is "Take business classes." I don't care what else you're gonna do, if you're gonna do art or anything, take business classes. You can say, "Well, I don't want to get commercial," but if you do anything to make any money, you're doing something commercial. You can be flipping hamburgers at McDonald's, but you're a commercial burger flipper.

http://chinese-democracy.blogspot.com/2 … -rose.html

Board footer