You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Re: Alice's take on Axl

Mikkamakka wrote:

I'm with D. Slash's album has a lot of very interesting songs, although sometimes it would have needed more work to be A+. But I have 2 major problems with D's list: he forgot about Gotten and Mother Maria. 21

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Slash has a ton of good songs post GNR in my opinion, you take the best from snakepit, VR, and his solo stuff and they're fucking awesome. Had Axl played on them most of them would easily match GNR material - they just lack his melodies and lyrics and of course that vocal tone.

Meanwhile I like some of Ashba's stuff, SixxAm have a couple of songs I enjoyed. So i don't think it needs to be a case of people enjoying one or the other.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Difference in DJ and Slash?

DJ sits around learning Slash songs.

dresses,acts to a tee like Slash.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

mini_me_dr_evil.jpg

give em both a tophat and you get the idea.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:
-D- wrote:

Difference in DJ and Slash?

DJ sits around learning Slash songs.

dresses,acts to a tee like Slash.

I'm sorry but what a load of crap.

DJ Ashba have plenty of song writing skills down on paper. Sixx A.M and Saints of Los Angeles to name a few, but also his former band Beatiful Creatures.

He's used a hat for years. It got nothing to do with Slash at all. I expected that shit to come from some average Joe who sees a guy with a hat and connects it to Slash but you're supposed to be a bit over such things. Let me call GNR management and make them ban people on stage for wearing any form of headgear as it is "copying Slash". Better ban Bumbles red hat too, and I've seen Pitman use a hat as well. Buh fucking hu.

He plays in GNR, ergo it's obviously needed a person needs to learn the songs, why would you hold that against him? In your perfect world, Ashba would refuse to learn the songs because they were written by another person?

You got insulted because I think Slash's new stuff the past decades are generally boring, and so wanted to throw some crap Ashba's way?

Could at least done the "toilet seat" argument, it would have been a good laugh.

"Dresses like Slash, sits around learning his songs.."

Jesus fucking Christ.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
DCK wrote:
-D- wrote:

^that song is ok... but damn for a 4 minute song it felt like it last 20minutes....Dont hear anything spectacular guitar wise to be honest.

Depends what you're looking for. I hear the best GNR solo ever created, regardless of technical difficoulty etc etc, you don't. Just taste.

That song sounded like a Hoobastank B side with a cool talking part in the middle.  I can't beleive some there think DJ is some muscial bad ass for having been associated with a couple decent tunes from Sixx AM etc.  I see better guitar players every weekend at a local bar, the worship for this guy is out of control.  Slash's resume more than speaks for itself, very few in rock have a better one.  The one guy Axl had a shot at getting that might have worked was Zakk Wylde.  I too liked Bucket, but he didn't want to put up with Axl's shit either.  Neither did Zakk, DJ will, so lets make DJ out to be something he is not... Which is a Class A guitar player/writer.  If you just want a good "writer", call Izzy.  If you want a good lead player/writer, get on your knees and get Slash back.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I dunno smoking....i think he's a pretty good guitarist...and hes got the 80's hardrock swagger as well...the SixxAM disk is good, you should check it out...give it a download, there is some cool stuff on there, it has a cool vibe about it, they did well on fleshing out the theme of the book into a musical context

as for DJ's image...its his own, maybe he took a bunch of little peices of a bunch of different people, but at the end of the day he has constructed his own image

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

They are there to imitate something which they are not. As soon as this bunch comes up with better stuff than AFD, Lies or UYI, I will be the first to assume that they are great musicians and a great band. Until then they are the guys who aren't Slash. I've seen a lot of great cover bands, but that's not enough for me to be their fan.

I heard Ashba's stuff, he can play, but he's nothing more than one of the 1 million guitarists in LA. Even mentioning his name with Slash's in the same sentence would be ridiculous. He's the Richard Fortus 2010 of the band, who has a cool image (for some) and seems to be the 'secret weapon' as he hasn't done jack shit in the band, to prove otherwise.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Neemo wrote:

I dunno smoking....i think he's a pretty good guitarist...and hes got the 80's hardrock swagger as well...the SixxAM disk is good, you should check it out...give it a download, there is some cool stuff on there, it has a cool vibe about it, they did well on fleshing out the theme of the book into a musical context

as for DJ's image...its his own, maybe he took a bunch of little peices of a bunch of different people, but at the end of the day he has constructed his own image

They have some good "catchy" songs, but so does Nickelback... He is a decent player for sure...  slash is of a rare breed, not ready to put DJ in that group of players.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

you guys claiming that its ridiculous are the only ones putting them in the same sentence as each other ...

thats all i'm sayin

yeah DJ isnt Slash...i know that, DJ is DJ and i'm diggin what he brings to the band, i just dont feel the need to compare current guitarists with previous ones anymore, i think DJ, Ron and Rich are all playing really well together right now...they put on a good show and appear to have great chemestry together

Board footer