You are not logged in. Please register or login.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

Re: How can GNR fans possibly be "AGAINST a reunion?

-D- wrote:

Let me apologize in advance for this thread. This isn't meant to be another billion reunion threads started over the years, but in light of Duff playing last week, I see so many people vehemently against a reunion.

You should see some on other message forums, talking how they don't want a "Stupid" reunion and how they hope this doesn't make people talk about a reunion etc.

I don't get it, honestly i dont. This has nothing to do with old band,new band, which side of the line u are on, but if u are a true Guns N Roses fan, why wouldn't you want to see, if nothing else, a one off kinda gig?

I'm sure I am not the first to say this, but I honestly believe, either most people on message forums, didn't become fans till Greatest Hits, OR they are Axl Rose fans, not Guns N Roses fans.

I can relate in some ways, cause I got into Kiss once the original lineup was done, so I 've always appreciated Eric Carr WAYYY more than Peter Criss and I even loved how Bruce Kulick expanded on Ace's solos and Bruce was my favorite guitarist in my younger teen years. Only as I've gotten older did i understand the contributions and importance of Ace and Peter.

Manets
 Rep: 9 

Manets wrote:

I don't really want a reunion. It would be a fake thing (and before someone says actual GNR is a fake GNR, a reunion would be even more fake), they would be there for money, to tour the world for 2 years or so and then goodbye. And for what? Just to see Axl playing with Slash, considering that Dj Ashba sounds the same? The fact is that not only Ashba sounds the same, the whole band sounds the same or even better sometimes, but with New GNR we may have the chance to see them releasing new music... and not they playing with the Pussycat Dolls and Justin Bieber.

We can't DEMAND a reunion, that's their lives, they do whatever they want.

And I like GNR boards the way they are. Imagine a reunion... what would we talk about? You think Axl would change his reclusive mind and the GNR censorship? I don't think we would get DVDs, interviews, new website or whatever everyone wants. We would talk less. We wouldn't talk about leaks, we wouldn't talk about rumors, we wouldn't talk about new albums. We would talk about the setlists, that wouldn't be much different from today, except for the ChiDem songs off. After 5 concerts very similar, it would get boring.

Look at Bon Jovi. I've been posting at the Jovitalk forum. Bon Jovi has been releasing albums every 2 years, books, DVDs, livestreams, touring the world. Their website is amazing, showing lots of things, even better then Metallica's and Megadeth's webiste. And MyGNR and even Guns N'FN' Roses have more posts than Jovitalk

jamester
 Rep: 84 

jamester wrote:

Good point!  For me its more like this.

Was a bad break up. It is way past 87-91 now as fans of appetite GnR we get music from GnR, Slash, VR, & Loaded, AA.  With all these guys still playing the hits + new(er) music. Im good with that. and do not expect anyone of them to release HITS  like they did as old gnr

Duff & Izzy playin with GnR was exciting and made everyone think of the past. 
BUT witrh bad breakups go some people get over it and get back together. And some move on and have some sucess after.

In this case GnR has a nice touring band that seem to get along. They have good songwriters and good showmen. Why wish for something that is not likely to happen?

I would like a one off or a reunion if it happens. but not at the expense of current line up .

In my eyes AXL, Slash,Duff,izzy & Steven have nothing left to prove or achieve. So I choose to be happy with current projects. And i hope none of the above guys are ready to retire !

You say you understand in the end with the KISS deal. Everyone feels different for one reason or another. Opinions & A$$holes !

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Because I've already heard Appetite for Destruction.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
Manets wrote:

I don't really want a reunion. It would be a fake thing (and before someone says actual GNR is a fake GNR, a reunion would be even more fake), they would be there for money, to tour the world for 2 years or so and then goodbye. And for what? Just to see Axl playing with Slash, considering that Dj Ashba sounds the same? The fact is that not only Ashba sounds the same, the whole band sounds the same or even better sometimes, but with New GNR we may have the chance to see them releasing new music... and not they playing with the Pussycat Dolls and Justin Bieber.

And how is this different from what is going on now with the current GNR?  You have hired guns (no pun intended) playing songs mostly written by Slash, Izzy, Duff etc.

This current incarnation of GNR hasn't exactly released a lot of material either.  One album that was mainly composed/written by guys that are no longer in the band.  I would be less critical if Axl released some new music once every few years or so. 

If anything a reunion might lessen the load on Axl and push him to release some new music with some of the original members helping him write/compose some of the songs.  The current structure (guys recording stuff, Axl listens and decides which parts are good) seems to not work at all.

I would be for a reunion obviously using the Van Halen template.  Do a tour and record and release some music later.  The difficult part would be to get Axl/Slash to reconcile whatever differences they have.

Manets wrote:

And I like GNR boards the way they are. Imagine a reunion... what would we talk about? You think Axl would change his reclusive mind and the GNR censorship? I don't think we would get DVDs, interviews, new website or whatever everyone wants. We would talk less. We wouldn't talk about leaks, we wouldn't talk about rumors, we wouldn't talk about new albums. We would talk about the setlists, that wouldn't be much different from today, except for the ChiDem songs off. After 5 concerts very similar, it would get boring.

What exactly are we talking about now?  We don't talk about new albums here now?  I think the rumors thing is pretty tiring too.  The Duff plays with GNR thing garnered 14 pages and I'm pretty sure eclipsed whatever is on the first page.

Posts seem to be up whenever a) GNR screw up (see Dublin and London past threads) b)Reunion/old member in the news talk.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

At the moment a reunion would be for the cash and would seem contrived to me. If relationships were mended and freindships rekindled and they wanted to do it out of passion after reflecting on it for a few years, it would blow my mind.

I want to know where its headed with this line up though, this is a serious band with huge potential to make great music, its bemusing why they havnt been recording together. Its a travesty if all they are going to do is play out other peoples songs, such a waste of talent. I'm one of the people who would love to see them play more new songs live and reduce the classics, but I know that wont happen as the majority want to hear the classics. Thats not cause I hate the old band or old songs, I grew up with them and they are part of my life. Its just this is a new band and in my mind they should be more focused on the present and the future than recycling the past.

Axl seems so passionate these days, I find it hard to believe he is not inspired to write with these guys. Mabye they are and have been denying as a defence to stamp out any of the anticipation and expectation that dogged Chinese Democracy.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

So if a reunion is only about the money, what is a never ending tour supporting an album that only came out because it paid off a debt about?  Think about that for a bit.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Mabye New GNR is all about the cash, I'm not convinced either way yet. The focus and whole point of rebuilding and continuing GN'R has been lost along the way somewhere I think.
My point is the original GNR was about the music and the passion, at least in my mind, and the way things are at this point in time a reunion would seem shallow and spoil that memory.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

So Axl has been buddies with all of his employees throughout the years?  I think you're going to find you can say the same thing about the current/recent past versions of the band.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

I'm not sure a reunion would be all about the money, none of them need it for one thing. Ok they might not be billionaires but fuck me, they`ll never have to know what the 9-5 is ever again.  Use Duff as a template, I know he doesn't speak for everyone else but he said it plain and simple "I missed it", and he's not talking about the cash that much I can say with 99.999% certainty, its not in him.  I'd like to think the rest of them, if they ever peformed together again, would feel the same after the fact..

Board footer