You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jamester
 Rep: 84 

Re: GnR Band Member Interviews from 2009-10 Tour

jamester wrote:

1-2009
http://www.transaudiogroup.com/news/31/ … igns.shtml
SexTapes’ Chris Pitman Admits To Being An Addict
Chris_Pitman.jpg
– Of A-Designs!
LOS ANGELES -- Although he may be most often recognized these days as Guns N' Roses' keyboardist and effects man - not to mention one of the group's principal songwriters and co-producers for the past ten years - Chris Pitman is an adept multi-instrumentalist, engineer and producer that has lent his talents to Tool, Failure, Lusk, Replicants, ZAUM, Blinker The Star and Medicine, among others. Along with celebrating the recent release of GNR's long-anticipated Chinese Democracy, Pitman has also just unveiled a debut album by SexTapes, a side project he fronts as lead vocalist. According to Pitman, both albums made considerable use of his sizable collection of studio tools from A-Designs Audio.

Pitman first came in contact with A-Designs at NAMM several years ago. "I was passing by their booth and ended up meeting Peter [Montessi, A-Designs' president], who introduced me to his gear," he recalls. "I was impressed with the ATTY passive stereo level control and he also showed me the MP-1 tube mic pre that was going to be released later. Being a fellow gearhead myself, we were talking about tube designs, transformers and so on, and his was based on the EF86 tube, one of my faves, so I was really eager to try it out.

"I ended up ordering the ATTY because I was in dire need of a volume control to go from my converters to my monitors, and I didn't want anything to alter the sound, as with active electronics. This being a passive attenuator was a direct link and perfect solution. Then I found I needed more of them to use in front of mic pres, output devices and you name it, so I got the rackmount ATTY2'D."

That simple "fix" ended up being the hook that would ultimately spiral Pitman into full-on addiction for most of A-Designs Audio's product lineup. "Now, practically every time I hear some new device that Peter has come up with, I end up buying it!" Pitman laughs. "First of all, it just always sounds incredibly unique and hi-fi in my environment, and everything is enhanced by it being in my studio, so I just won't let it go after that... no way! I have a nice little museum now that includes ATTYs, an MP-1, the Pacifica, several EM-Blue pres, the HAMMER EQ, and lately a pair of REDDIs... and I'll probably have his kitchen sink here soon, too."

Basic tracks for the self-titled new SexTapes album were laid down in one night at The Pass Studios in Hollywood with the whole band playing together, focusing on capturing the best possible drum sound. "The Pass has one of the greatest live rooms you'll ever hear," raves Pitman. "We used a pair of A-Designs EM-Blue mic pres on Ryan Brown's kick and snare, and a Pacifica for the room mics, which was essential to preserve the dynamic live sound of a drum kit going 90 miles per hour." He also notes that the signal from bassist Marko Fox's SVT was directly inserted into the MP-1 for the direct output.

Like classic records of the past, where everything was recorded through the same kind of mic pre, Pitman chose to follow that route by limiting himself to using the Pacifica as much as possible. "So when we came back to The Pass to record Kelly Wheeler's guitar tracks, we used the Pacifica for his Marshall cabinet," he shares. "And I used it again when recording all the vocals in my own home studio. My signal path was a U47 to the Pacifica to an 1176 to a Lavry converter, and it was the best sounding chain I've ever used for my vocal. I tried several other tube pres, including a Neve and Telefunken, but they just didn't have the kind of presence and range I was achieving with the Pacifica."

Pitman also reports that his A-Designs arsenal was equally well represented on Guns N' Roses' new album. "On all the tracks I did for Chinese Democracy, whether we were recording keys, bass, vocals or whatever, everything would pass through some A-Designs device or another," says Pitman. "And we did use some of the 500 Series pres for recording guitars at times. Guitarist/writer Paul Tobias even bought quite a bit of gear from Peter for his home studio, he liked them so much. They made the guitars sound really beefy with a modern edge to it, quite unlike anything else.

"Again, I can't stress enough the fact that when you can fuse together a classic design with modern components like Peter has, and gather all the information and feedback from musicians and engineers, and then tweak that musicality into the device... well, it really can't get much better than that. I've always told him that once people hear these things in their own studios, this zhit's gonna blow up! Bottom line: if you're wanting top notch recording gear to enhance your sex life, go buy A-Designs gear!"

jamester

jamester wrote:

2-2009
http://www.spinner.com/2009/02/27/axl-r … and-burie/
Axl Rose Insists Original Guns N' Roses Lineup Is Dead and Buried

* Posted on Feb 27th 2009 8:59AM by Spinner Staff

Since releasing the long-awaited Guns N' Roses album 'Chinese Democracy' this past November, Axl Rose has said very little about it, taking to message boards and e-mails for the few comments he has made. But if there's one person who could get him to break his silence it's Del James, Rose's longtime friend, road manager and the man whose short story, 'Without You,' inspired the epic clip for 'November Rain.'

James, a music journalist who has covered G N' R for years, dating back to his days at metal mag Rip, as well as in several Rolling Stone articles, spoke with Rose and is sharing the results of that one-on-one exclusively with Spinner. Yes, here he is, W. Axl Rose, letting loose on Slash, answering whether he was trying to make the best album ever and waxing philosophically on when the original G N' R lineup really died.

Del James: As reported, were you, either in your mind or otherwise, trying to create the "best album ever made"?

Axl Rose: No. That's f---ing ridiculous and more negative media nonsense. We were all just trying to do our best for the fans and ourselves.

At any point did you feel or say either you or the band had to make a "masterpiece"?

Of course not -- more unaccountable nonsense. Obviously, media, elements of the public, fans and our detractors had all kinds of things going on such as high hopes, expectations, pressure, naysayers, etc. I don't think anyone would mind discovering a diamond mine and I don't think anyone in any competitive field would get very far if they didn't have dreams, aspirations or simply hope to do well. That said, these types of comments are more from our detractors, pulled out of their ass if not thin air.

Do you feel that your alleged sense of perfectionism has delayed the release of the album?

No. Guns in any lineup wasn't going to release anything all that great any sooner. And no matter how any of us tried, that didn't happen, and often while any number of us were pushing to try and do so with whatever we had going at the time. In regard to so-called perfectionism, I feel that has a lot to do with your goals or requirements with whatever one's doing or creating. Different levels may be required for different objectives. If you're making brakes for a vehicle, what's required? It's all relative, right? You try to make the best calls you can at any given moment and go from there. Generally, when this term is used by others in regard to me or how I work, it's said in a negative way or as an excuse for their shortcomings -- and again by my detractors. Whether they are open about such or not, some people love putting others in a negative light; helps them feel better about themselves. Too many ears and too many stupid comments have proven that.

Did you break up the old Guns?

It is my belief that the commitment to end old Guns came long before the band started in the heart and soul of one man. After that, it became more visible sometime before/during [the 'Use Your Illusion' albums], when the others opted for personal reasons to change our approach, styles and methods of working together. At the time, I unwittingly chose as a means of what I felt was both my own and Guns' survival to adapt, and threw myself into whatever I could get out of that to support and promote our efforts.

The group shot of the band in front of the piece 'Dead' was not a coincidence but not something I felt could be talked about openly, and something I hoped would change. I couldn't reach Izzy [Stradlin] and couldn't manage or curtail Slash and his personal objectives to take over Guns anymore than I did at the time, and I'm lucky to have survived, got what we did out of it and some still enjoyed the results. But for all intents and purposes, the 'Appetite [for Destruction]' lineup and approach was already dead, and with the addition of Matt [Sorum], the end of the then-lineup and what Guns was really about was only a matter of time. Only heartfelt choices by the others could or would change that. Unfortunately, nothing did.

I'm generally blamed for the time it took to release 'Illusions,' but again the reality of my fault would be in not finding a way to manage Slash complete with his addictions and bring both him and Izzy together either similar to 'Appetite' or in some other progression more conducive to Guns than how 'Illusions' was accomplished. Unfortunately, that never truly happened, and both Guns and the public suffered for it. I'll take the responsibility in the sense that had I known how to achieve those goals we would have made what I feel would've been a more effective and powerful album at the time.

See? There's the catch, right? All this time, most thought I changed the direction with 'Illusions.' A lot of nonsense theories, speculation and complete nonrealities put together by others, based on Slash and others' crap and off one interview taken out of context I did with Kurt Loder where I said I hated 'Appetite.' That sentence has been used and twisted in every conceivable way since to vilify me and purports to prove my guilt and responsibility, when I wasn't speaking to the music itself but the overwhelming and at that time seemingly drowning success of our record.

My statement was in specific response to the feelings I had listening to DJs at the L.A. hard rock station KNAC at the time complaining about having to play the entire record for the umpteenth time for fans. I simply wanted to make another record and have it be as good or better. If you don't think I would've liked to have five 'Appetites' and been living like the Stones at the time, you're high. With that, any other avenue I hoped to pursue musically would more than likely been available as well. This was something I could never get through to the others with. Personal need to dominate in Guns was very important to them. Izzy has to be in charge or he's not comfortable, same with Slash. Duff [McKagan] tries convincing himself he's equal partners with Slash. Each to their own.

Why didn't you write 'Appetite'-style songs yourself then?

Part of what destroyed Guns was the battle between those guitars that works so well for 'Appetite.' I have no concept how to duplicate that with either the old guys or anyone else. I liked it then but can't say I truly understood their nature as I feel I do now. Make no mistake: That was a war and the efforts of one man to "successfully" remove another in his path between him and I. Neither player wants to deal with each other in those ways again. Those battles have already been fought, both sides went their prospective ways. Regardless of if they were to work together or not, the true dynamics of back then aren't something Izzy has an interest in or would allow himself to actually be in to such a degree other than for appearances, if that. Also, anything I had written I felt was in similar directions then, during and after the 'Illusions' tour was more than rejected by both Slash and Duff at a time, which greatly helped destroy whatever confidence I may have had at the time.

Why so many guitars on 'Chinese Democracy'?

Why not?

Seriously, past Guns records have only two. Why did you feel the need for more on this endeavor?

I understand it's for whatever reason a bit of a challenge for most people to feel comfortable in their minds with any band having more than two guitarists, but technically, as far as our recording goes, we're a bit more alike with the older recordings than one might think. On the older records, though, it's very distinct that there are generally two guitar parts -- each part is actually performed and recorded twice, giving a fuller sound, so in effect you have four guitars. Leads and fills are another pass, and often songs were originally written and demos were done with other guitarists as well.

On 'Chinese,' instead of having the same player double his part, we chose to add another voice and either each player's own take on the part or their take of another's, then there's leads and fills which vary from one person or a few on a track. Also on this record, though, you may have one player playing more than one part in a section; they generally tend to be two distinct parts and not overdubs or harmonizing with their own leads or fills. No way is better than another; it's just whatever works for what you're trying to do, what you personally want or for whatever reason you feel you either need, choose or like.

For this record, I wanted a blend of different-style sounds and approaches; some at least a bit unique to the individual players and their takes on these songs. I feel the different personalities and techniques give the material its own sense of originality. Live, I prefer the more solid approach of the three guitars now, especially as the performances with the rhythm are more energetic, consistent and reliable. It was fun having Izzy on board a bit adding yet another voice to the mix and seemed to work better for the songs this way, as opposed to having him by himself.

Would you consider a reunion with the 'Appetite' or 'Illusions' lineups?

No.

Why not?

A lot more reasons than I'll get into here now. Different reasons for each version and each individual. The Izzy bit was fun -- and also fun because we didn't have to rely on him in any way, which is how he prefers things and works better for everyone. That said, you never knew if Izzy would be there or not or if he'd remember the song or decide to leave early. It didn't cause any problems, because we were doing our show regardless and didn't have to depend on anything, but it did open everyone's eyes a bit and blow minds.

He called, asked to come out and negotiated a deal with management that it's probably best that none of us knew about or the fun would've seemed a bit more like being used or taken advantage of spoiling the moment. As it was, we had a great time.

It'd be highly doubtful for us to have more than one of the alumni up with us at any given time. I suppose Duff could play guitar on something somewhere, but there's zero possibility of me having anything to do with Slash other than by ambush, and that wouldn't be pretty. He wrote that whole bit about not having his guitar in Vegas, I'd assume, to save face. I was told by both the Hard Rock and different Guns industry people who had come out to be supportive of the new band and were a bit surprised to see him there, especially guitar in hand, but just assumed it was a surprise for the show and we were in on the arrangement.

Steven [Adler] brings assorted ambulance-chasing attorneys and the nightmare of his mother. One gig, or even a couple songs, could mean years of behind-the-scenes legal aftermath.

Wouldn't you make more money?

If the music was there, meaning new music, I can't say for sure right now -- and there have been market surveys, and various promoters have put together different projections and analysis that in areas where there could be more, it's not enough to sell your soul and live in hell the rest of your life for, that's definitely certain. But that's the catch, right, the music? If I believed in that as a reality which, no offense meant to anyone, I haven't seen anything in all these years to convince me or we'd be doing this interview under different circumstances of some sort, to say the least.

It's not some place I want to be or have any interest in being. If I believed in it in regard to the music, not in direction so much but in how it feels and to what degree, then maybe it'd be another story. I'm in no way trying to be offensive to anyone here, and I'm allowed to have my own feelings in regard to what inspires me, not someone else. Other than a one-off or something, I don't really do songs because someone else likes them.

There is the distinct possibility that having his intentions in regard to me so deeply ingrained and his personal though guarded distaste for much of 'Appetite' other than his or Duff's playing, Slash either should not have been in Guns to begin with or should have left after 'Lies.' In a nutshell, personally I consider him a cancer and better removed, avoided -- and the less anyone heard of him or his supporters, the better.

Didn't you say you loved him in what -- '06?

No. I said "loved," as in past tense. It was a misquote by a writer I mistook as a fan.

Do you think he can play guitar?

I prefer listening to others in general, especially those who both push their talents and infuse them with a level of energy that I've seldom heard in his efforts over the years. I'm not taking anything away from the man that are his to claim for his past efforts; it's just that for whatever reason for me, whether the approach, style or basic hands-on technique is there, the passion and true dedication to the art of guitar in his chosen area other than being, in my opinion, a whore for the limelight has generally seemed absent or lacking with most efforts for a long time. To me, it's sad. I don't get it. Where does it go? Is it a choice? Sometimes it's there on covers; I think Clive [Davis, legendary record executive] fell for that.

It wasn't there with me on 'Sympathy [for the Devil]' or ['The] Spaghetti [Incident?'] and it took years for me to get there again, in my opinion, and in the ways I wanted it to be. Will I keep it? Who knows? I'd like to, but who can say?

Who's your favorite drummer you've worked with?

I've liked elements that each brought in. Josh [Freese], [Brian] "Brain" [Mantia] and Frank [Ferrer] have been the easiest to work with and get along with, as well as it being fun to hang out with any of them. I do feel that all three were the right drummers to make this album. The rehearsals with [Dave] Abruzzesse and Pod as a duo were really cool; it was a shame then that it didn't work out but seemed for the best once we found Josh. In regard to old Guns, I don't listen much and for different reasons -- more because of the drums than anything else.

With 'Appetite,' for me the parts, playing, etc., timing flaws, whatever, are perfect, and as a moment in time for me, the whole record is. That said, the sound of the drums, which at the time in our niche of the woods was a bit of a bold statement and a somewhat successful effort to change things from the current flow at the time, and so may have been necessary but for me sound the most dated of anything there sound-wise.

With 'Illusions' several years ago, something came on the radio and I realized how the energy in the drums, though solid and consistent, brought me down in a way I feel damaged the material in the long run, if not from the get-go. Maybe it's there with some, most or all of us in ways, but I specifically notice it more with the drums. And when listening in that sense of analyzing how something feels to me in regards to its involvement or inclusion in the song, whether anyone disagrees I'm somewhat capable of removing myself and events from the picture.

For m,e it's more about certain energies and feel, and I'm not into what we did there for a good bit in regard to the drum work. To actually have a drummer that could play at the time, though, was a bit too overwhelming. The public has no idea what went into Steven's parts and the notion of getting through songs in rehearsal if ever, with no exaggeration, was unfortunately a nightmare that neither I or Izzy could take, and eventually the others as well, though they lasted longer for other reasons.

What do you think of Steven being on the VH1 rehab show?

I wish Steven the best; unfortunately Steven's given us the spoiler for that. I hope people are able to find answers and get the help they need; other than that, I'm not the biggest fan of the show.

Who's in the band?

I think we'll go with a combo of who's around and who's on the album for now and worry about that when we get ready to tour.

Is Robin [Finck] in the band?

Last I was aware, he had some interest in touring, though I can't say what that means until then. In our opinion, he's made things a bit awkward publicly, but that's just his way.

Is Brain in the band?

Last I checked. Brain works on several things with Guns either from his home or in the studio.

So you have two drummers? Will they both tour?

Yes, and who knows?

When's the next album?

Have no idea and don't care. Hopefully, we'll be working 'Chinese' for a good bit. Of course there's the same idiots that have been around forever already demanding release dates.

How much material is there?

Not as much as Baz [Sebastian Bach] thinks he heard! Really, it doesn't matter. If things go well enough, we'd like to get another out at some point in our lifetimes.

Is anything finished?

Depends how you look at it.

How do you look at it?

Not something we've focused on.

You're not saying much.

You got that? What I can say is if you don't like this, then you probably won't like that. Same people, lots more approaches, bit meaner in places and darker in some. Robin does a really great Stevie Ray Vaughan-type solo on one track.

Slash has said that the sessions they did with Izzy before Velvet Revolver were the best Guns album ever. What do you think of that?

Politics.

In what way?

Old Guns promotion.

Editor's note: At the request of the interviewer, this article was edited after publication.

jamester

jamester wrote:

3-2009
Exclusive interview series  with Guns N'Roses guitarist Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal at the Gibson Showroom in Berlin (Pre tour 09)
02 Robot guitar

03 Germany
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOMroq8HqFk
04 - Getting in touch with GNR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd_tlq9X05g
05 Attitude towards living up to legacy of GNR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BGh90i6er0
06 Crazy and stupid persons
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqVPJNSLbs4
07 Gear
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niqmWQtnu48
08 Screw ups live
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFM8zKakNYI
09 Pranks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G01fL8CmgVQ
10 Axl
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymtqYUsj5pM
11 Alachol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AHWQtfxnFU
12 Example for weird effects of alcohol bumblefoot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1R7jCC1nN8
13 Plans for 2009

jamester

jamester wrote:

3-2009
http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/ … ist-201072
Guns N' Roses hire DJ Ashba as new guitarist

Still no tour, however

Joe Bosso, Mon 23 Mar 2009, 10:47 am UTC
Guns N' Roses hire DJ Ashba as new guitarist

DJ Ashba puts a spell on Axl Rose
dj-ashba-850-100.jpg

Although the actual lineup of Guns N' Roses remains a mystery, Axl Rose has hired guitarist DJ Ashba to replace Robin Finick, who is currently playing guitar with Nine Inch Nails.

Ashba, who formed his own inventively titled band called Ashba is credited with writing and producing tracks for the last Motley Crue album Saints Of Los Angeles.
Loving announcements all around

In an announcement on the Guns N' Roses website, Axl Rose said, "DJ 's a gifted, energetic guitarist that Guns N' Roses is proud to have on board!! We're very excited to have the opportunity to work together.

"I'm looking forward to working with Axl...a true artist" new Guns N' Roses guitarist, DJ Ashba

"Guns' radar has silently been aware of DJ's presence for quite some time! He brings a fresh approach to our particular brand of mayhem, expanding the tapestry of Guns N' Roses live. Once DJ's name was in the hat, the hat disappeared!!"

And, of course, DJ returned the love to his new employer, saying, "It's an honor to have the opportunity to be a part of a band that I have always loved and respected. I'm looking forward to working with Axl, who is not only one of the few great frontmen of our generation, but a true artist."

However, 'working with' is a relative term when it comes to Guns N' Roses. The band has yet to tour behind Chinese Democracy (which just slid off the Billboard Top 200, failing to sell even 2800 copies last week). But rumors are beginning to surface that GNR might hit the road this summer with Van Halen and (gulp) Creed.

Which means just one thing: Given Axl Rose's history of tardiness at gigs, you have an excellent chance of seeing Van Halen.

jamester

jamester wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_De … ngs_played
Axl Rose led Guns N' Roses to the Far East to start a world tour in support of the rock band's 2008 album Chinese Democracy. GNR fans wildly enjoyed the music shows.
[youtube]fvz28czuEhg&translated=1[/youtube]
12/11/2009        Banqiao     Taiwan     Taipei   County Stadium     18,000
12/13/2009     Seoul     South Korea          Olympic Arena     6,000
12/16/2009     Japan     Osaka     Japan     Osaka Dome     36,000    
12/19/2009     Japan     Tokyo     Japan     Tokyo Dome     35,000±
(still under construction)
http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=7547
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_De … ngs_played
12/11/2009        Banqiao     Taiwan     Taipei   County Stadium     18,000
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2563/414 … bc6349.jpg

yehmin20091212001739.jpg
12645_197709279801_653679801_2928510_870454_n.jpg
Setlist:
    Soundcheck 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H83qhsVPefI
    Soundcheck 2:  Sweet Child O' Mine FULL  9
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxsylm5cyDs
01. Chinese Democracy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu9SgbbL6Uk
02. Welcome to the Jungle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXt9ICT_JcY
03. It's So Easy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xks_ASJS-Mc&translated=1
04. Mr. Brownstone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BNoicJZxj0
05. If The World
06. Live And Let Die
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TazvxohWVx4
07. Richard Solo (James Bond Theme)
08. There Was a Time
09. Drum Solo
10. Bass Solo
11. My Generation w/Tommy on vocals
12. I.R.S.
13. Rocket Queen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XygqhNDP9p4 (snippet)
14. Dizzy Piano Solo
15. Street Of Dreams
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chrRD8LcdoI (snippet)
16. DJ Ashba Solo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J62Js-UMR0
17. Sweet Child O' Mine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH8k5-peyfE
18. Jam
19. November Rain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFd9SH0RoZ0
20. Bumblefoot Solo (Pink Panther)
21. You Could Be Mine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8hFG7Zbi4o (full)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqfY0PShPjU (snippet)
22. Shackler's Revenge
23. Knockin' on Heaven's Door
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9ZAyalE7a8 (crowd interaction snippet)
    Encore:
24. This I Love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvBE3sH0O0U
25. Jam
26. Better
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB0h-1N2068 (snippet)
27. Paradise City
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NccxnQnf6rE
    End Of Show
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzUVv8ctNA8

Setlist notes

First show since the release of chinese democracy and the first ever show in Taiwan. During 'november rain' it started to rain and Axl changed the lyrics to 'december rain' to acknowledge it.

4050241891_fb2117466f.jpg
hqdefault.jpg
0.jpg

1.  Chinese democracy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eqKqmAx2Rc
   2. Welcome to the jungle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbp-V0WXImw
   3. It's so easy
   4. Mr. Brownstone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnVb7dcPDT4 (1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifV5Qv4Z1WU (2)
   5. Shackler's revenge
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlDL5bWrr2A
   6. There was a time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0U-bVJzRAw
   7. Richard Fortus guitar solo (James Bond theme)
   8. Live and let die
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98Tl18_hgv4
   9. Drum solo (Frank Ferrer)
  10. Sorry
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfMH4NcquYE
  11. Rocket queen
  12. DJ Ashba guitar solo (The ballad of death)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep4haklnBgE
  13. Sweet child o' mine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QKRTQH_cyk
  14. Dizzy Reed piano solo (Ziggy Stardust)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD__70RWdlY
  15. Street of dreams
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYnvgvde2Kk
  16. You could be mine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7le1_AhO_A
  17. Band jam (Black Betty)
  18. My Generation (The Who cover)
  19. Band jam
  20. Axl Rose piano solo (Someone saved my life tonight)
  21. November rain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84b220T8Jas
  22. Band jam (Walk on the wild side)
  23. Better
  24. Knockin' on heaven's door
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1U0oPueXx8
  25. Bumblefoot guitar solo (Pink Panther theme)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-muUL1jHB8M
  26. Paradise city
  Take A Bow Guns N Roses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6DHRxYxevI

Setlist notes

After 'it's so easy', Axl greets the crowd with "Seoul! Korea! Very good to be here with you tonight. Thank you for having us!". 'You could be mine' features footage of Formula 1 racing on the video screen.
4140307755_13bcbaf384.jpg
800px-Kyocera_Dome_Osaka1.jpg
opening act(s)
MUCC
Setlist for Kyocera dome Osaka
Osaka, Japan

1. Chinese democracy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzOhmydFO7A
   2. Welcome to the jungle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_7IDVRJcxk
   3. It's so easy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqhlAffMlMY
   4. Mr. Brownstone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNjCLtoxmao
   5. Shackler's revenge 9
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QmV8Ell7AQ
   6. If the world (Bond, Black Bond)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlpcC6D3HMQ
   7. Richard Fortus guitar solo (James Bond theme)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm3h2Ct0Wxo
   8. Live and let die
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFuxIFIDo5U
   9. Sorry (this song was NOT written about someone I use to know)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eJBmxvf2Fc
  10. Rocket queen (Frank Fuckin Ferrer) 9 3:33
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLa0VDlLQQs
  11. Prostitute
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjH1_yFlZA8
  12. Dizzy Reed piano solo (Ziggy Stardust)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sdH6CKI7UQ
  13. Street of dreams
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhT7nuEjUSc
  14. Scraped (frank stands out again)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6z8eCcb1Gg
  15. Drum solo (Frank Ferrer)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev2hIhTblpY
  16. You could be mine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NCg6GPIn_Q
  17. Band jam (Waiting for a friend)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1YtiCnaJV8
  18. Axl Rose piano solo (Goodbye yellow brick road/Someone saved my life tonight)
  19. November rain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqh5k26U-Rk
  20. I.R.S.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzMxLX7AkVQ
  21. DJ Ashba guitar solo (The ballad of death)
  22. Sweet child o' mine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmTe5z_pgRg
  23. Catcher in the rye
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxQbzf8z_J8
  24. Out ta get me 9
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ijlv3YdMjk
  25. Bumblefoot guitar solo (Pink Panther theme)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayh_UMV3Mlc
  26. Knockin' on heaven's door
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZSgj43mmNk
  27. Whole lotta Rosie (AC/DC cover)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyJBsRURZXg
  28. This I love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIgd6EpBw8c
  29. Nightrain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpCibQn3Now
       Encore
  30. Madagascar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ5PbkBQWzo
  31. Better
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7yXffHgZ8c
  32. Sonic reducer (The dead boys cover) (ft. Tommy on vocals)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTyFF4Xq … re=related
  33. Patience
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-XK8q_eW8s
  34. Don't cry
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9Ah2xUWm1k
  35. DC/Paradise city (bass drum vibrating the cam High energy PC)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69z6sxZcsac

Setlist notes

Awesome show that lasted for over three hours! Before 'whole lotta Rosie' Bumblefoot plays some riffs from Iron Maiden's 'number of the beast'. After the song Axl says A little impromptu there. I just can't believe I remembered the fucking verses. I think I sang that last time at the Marquee in England."

jamester

jamester wrote:

12-2009
Bumblefoot:

"Longest GNR show ever - 3 hours, 37 minutes. Thanks sooo much to everyone in Taipei, Seoul, Osaka and Tokyo for making this tour kick ass!"

Dj Ashba:

"Tonight we broke a record, longest Guns N' Roses concert in the history of GN'R - 3hrs 37 minutes!!! Im exhausted!!! haha! night! Looking forward to getting back to LA!!12 minutes ago"

According to a Twitter message by GUNS N' ROSES guitarist Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal, tonight's (Saturday, December 19) GN'R concert in Tokyo, Japan was the band's longest performance ever at three hours and 37 minutes.
3085037718_a193697c6c.jpg
The group's setlist was as follows:

01. Chinese Democracy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gg_G1TEPLE
02. Welcome to the Jungle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfSO7LhibLI
03. It's So Easy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmT7NgSV-qM
04. Mr. Brownstone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr101LZ1zkU
05. Catcher in the Rye
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfGwh5QNAt0
06. Sorry
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYbnpZ4Sr74
07. Band Jam (I Want You Back, Jackson 5)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9g-mMuAZOY
08. If the World
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQH0kIIFT-s
09. Richard Fortus Solo (James Bond Theme)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3VNrMLzN3M
10. Live and Let Die
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXvG35UiSoU
11. Dizzy Reed Solo (Ziggy Stardust)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJrhqIzVMXc
12. Street of Dreams
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJbtR7shL88
13. Band Jam
14. You Could Be Mine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMXDdK3cgmw
15. Rocket Queen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Clusx-sBoJ8
16. My Michelle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw4pwhq8Yyo
17. DJ Ashba Solo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h-OgdXb_Aw
18. Sweet Child O' Mine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P0FKM_3f1E
19. Shackler's Revenge
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_57eSgdPxg
20. I.R.S.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVGotTQ-yHc
21. Band Jam
22. Axl Rose piano solo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cviT9WP3Jm0
23. November Rain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPxvLh5BafE
24. Band Jam
25. Whole Lotta Rosie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j75cvJxVozM
26. Knockin' on Heaven's Door
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaOygP9wTRQ
27. Scraped
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esOhoCNgUTs
28. Prostitute
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5oA98_qB8A
29. Jam
30. This I Love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8YJsQbIL2s
31. Frank Ferrer Solo (We Will Rock You)
32. Out Ta Get Me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50IPbn3jybc
33. Ron Thal solo (Pink Panther Theme/Don't Cry)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayh_UMV3Mlc
34. Don't Cry (Axl, Ron and DJ)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_-QK9wRrA8
35. Nightrain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TXYufnnpDY

Encore:

36. Madagascar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7Ic-OoNyV4
37. There Was a Time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGYOU-nxjQI
38. My Generation
39. Better
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLVoM8KztYw
40. Patience
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npPH6D_jqfM
41. Nice Boys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOUqmDBsHbg
42. Paradise City
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_-QK9wRrA8

Earlier in the week, GUNS N' ROSES frontman Axl Rose issued a statement claiming that he he did not authorize the posting of an earlier statement regarding a scuffle between him and a photographer at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) last week. Rose was quoted as saying in the new post, "I did not release any statement or authorize either any statement or anyone to release a statement regarding anything at any airport anywhere . . . (In my opinion) this nonsense may be some type of manufactured or publicity stunt."

Rose did not say why the statement regarding the incident was posted in the first place, but hinted at miscommunication with people in his own organization. "We had recently began working with newer individuals in management in relation to our current Asian tour . . . though as it happens we are once again touring Asia without management of any kind," he wrote.

The altercation occurred on Wednesday (December 9) at LAX while Rose was preparing to board a flight to Taiwan for the first GUNS N' ROSES show in three years. TMZ reported that Rose punched an "overzealous paparazzo," with the original statement at the GUNS blog saying that the photographer "became aggressive with the singer and female members of the traveling group."

Rose was not arrested and was allowed to board his flight to Taiwan.

GUNS N' ROSES' last world tour, in 2006 and 2007, took in 60 shows in 26 countries and was the band's first full trek since 1993.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe … mID=132278

jamester

jamester wrote:

12-2009
Originally posted at:  http://www.kissarmyaustralia.com/index. … &Itemid=65
http://www.bumblefoot.com/press.php
header_short.jpg
bumble-banner.jpg
Just before Christmas 2009 KISS ARMY AUSTRALIA once again spoke to Ron Bumblefoot Thal of Guns 'n' Roses.

* It has been about 2 years since the KAA last spoke to you. What have you been up to in that time and what are your plans for the future both within the GNR camp and your solo activities?

2 years... that went quick! OK, in late '07 I started working on the 'Abnormal' CD, put that out mid- '08. 'Chinese Democracy' came out in Nov '08 and I did an acoustic album 'Barefoot' that came out in Dec '08. In early '09 I spent a few months in LA working with GNR, prepping for future touring. Took a break from that and toured the Summer with Lita Ford, then continued in the Fall with GNR, tweaking the live show, and we did some shows in Asia in Dec '09. I came home, caught a cold, took some NyQuil and started answering these questions... haha. Did some TV and radio appearances too, some gigs and jams, guest spots on albums, some mixing and mastering of bands... been a busy 2 years.
bumblefoot-abnormal-cd-100.jpg Bumblefoot-Barefoot-CD-cover-100px.jpg Guns_N%27_Roses_-_Chinese_Democracy.jpg
Abnormal               Barefoot           Chinese Democracy

KISS Questions:

* As a teenager, did you ever think you would be seeing KISS live on their 35th anniversary tour and having their highest charting album ever at this stage of their career?

Ya can't expect that for any band, ya never can predict a band's lifespan. It's great that KISS could make that happen, very happy for them.

* Sonic Boom has been out now for almost 2 months. What are your impressions of the album? Did it live up the pre-release hype of being "like a 70's KISS album" to you?

It definitely had more of that vibe, it had more of what I loved about KISS's music growing up.

* Ace Frehley has also recently released Anomaly, his first solo album in 20 years. What are your thoughts on this album?

Loved it. Was like the Ace solo album continued, totally dug it. And the packaging with the fold-out pyramid, excellent!

sonici-boom-100.jpg anomaly-100.jpg  kiss-alive-35.jpg
* Ace has mentioned that on his upcoming 2010 Australian Tour he might play some Ace songs from the KISS catalogue that have never or rarely been play lived, like "Talk To Me", and "Dark Light." What obscure ACE songs from the KISS catalogue would you like to hear Ace do live?

I don't know, to me none of them are obscure, they're all stand-out songs... maybe Strange Ways? Getaway? But to KISS fans these songs aren't very obscure. How about Torpedo Girl, or Save Your Love...

* How much KISS merchandise and memorabilia do you have on display in your house?

Right now none, the cats would eat them. But I had all the posters and dolls and the KISS Army sticker on my door, tour books, the Phantom movie, haha...

GNR/KISS-ish Questions

* GNR are heading out on the road again soon, and Sebastian Bach is once again supporting GNR this time for the Canadian Tour. Sebastian is a HUGE KISS fan. Do you and Sebastian talk about KISS? Have you ever been to Sebastian's house and checked out his awesome KISS collection? If not, would you like to?

Sebastian and I have spoken about KISS - one time we were both on Eddie Trunk's radio show we called Ace from the show, on-air, just thanking and praising the dude up and down like two little kids, lol. But it's true man, KISS was the inspiration, I wouldn't be doing what I'm doing if it wasn't for KISS doing what they do so well. I live about a half-hour from Sebastian but have never been to his house.

GNR Questions:

* It has been just over 1 year since Chinese Democracy was released. How do you feel about the album now and what impressions of the album have you received from fans after this time?

It's a unique album unlike any other - you've got years of amazing contributions orchestrated together into this intense listen. I don't know if people were ready for it, but it seems that as time goes on the music is sinking in and people are 'getting it'. It was great to be on tour and have audiences cheer for the new songs and sing along.

* Can you add anything to the rumors and statements attributed to Axl regarding more GNR albums coming out in the not to distant future (Less than 15 years wait)?

For now I'm just thinkin' about the upcoming tours and supporting 'Chinese'...

* What is your favorite song to play live when on tour with GNR? Which song do you think gets the best fan reaction live?

Of the new stuff we played 13 out of 14 songs, and it's hard to say which got the biggest reaction - Chinese, Street Of Dreams, those two definitely... the classic hits like Sweet Child, Jungle, those get a reaction... my favorites to play? I can't pick. I just love to play. As long as I'm playin', I love what I'm playin' at that moment.
GNR_in_Tokyo_(Dec_19_2009)_-_Bumblefoot_50222694.jpg
Above: Ron playing live with Guns N Rose on December 19th 2009 at the TOKYO DOME.

Hypothetical Situations:

* While playing with GNR if you could do a KISS song live what song would you pick and why?

The band has jammed to some KISS songs at rehearsals, usually I'll bust 'em out - I remember doing Parasite, C'Mon & Love Me, Take Me, I Want You, Detroit, just pullin' anything out of the air. I would do the first five studio albums in their entirety. Why? Because they fucking kick ass.

* Countless musicians have mentioned in interviews that as they were growing up they often wondered what it would like to be in KISS. If you had the opportunity to be in the band with your own character what would you be?

That's a tough one...! I never pictured myself being in KISS, always enjoyed them for what they are, wouldn't have wanted to change anything. If they asked me to join and I had to have my own make-up...? The obnoxious part of me wants to just say "I'd paint my face like a chicken and be the COCK." But I'm not gonna say that. The easy way out would be the whole "Bumble"-foot thing and do bee-like stripes, but that's not KISS-worthy. I can't think of one thing - I don't want to be in KISS, I want KISS to be KISS and to enjoy what they do from the outside.

* Since joining KISS, Tommy Thayer has copped a lot of heat over wearing Ace Frehley's make-up and costume design. If you were asked to join the band on the condition you wear the existing make-up and costumes would you do it?

Props to Tommy for not letting the heat get the best of him. It's just rock n' roll, they're just making music, no need to find a crime in it. Just enjoy what they're doing. Would I do it? Only if I can wear Gene's make-up, his was my favorite, haha. But I wouldn't want Gene to leave - there would have to be two Gene's in the band, haha.

Happy Holidays, see ya in 2010!
Bumblefoot_-_20080920_-_The_Haunt_(Yonkers_NY).jpg
KISS ARMY AUSTRALIA
Made by Keith Tarrier Webdesigner for KISS ARMY AUSTRALIA

jamester

jamester wrote:

12-2009
(mistranslated?)
Axl Rose Comments on Guns N' Roses Korean Tour, DJ Ashba
Posted on Dec 4th 2009 7:00AM
http://www.hani.co.kr/arti/culture/music/391143.html
http://www.noisecreep.com/2009/12/04/ax … rean-tour/
FP_4882861_Rose_Axl_CJNY_042210-351x600.jpg

Guns N' Roses"Reuniting with the original members isn't an easy thing," Axl Rose says of any possible plans to reunite with the original members of Guns N' Roses. "The old members are all devoted to their own music, and I wholeheartedly support them in their endeavors. The important thing I'd say is to support the current members and the best environment so that we can keep making music. The only thing right now is Guns and Roses."

Rose made the comment in a recent interview with Korean news agency Hangyorae. The online interview is written in Korean and fans have translated the exchange on a Guns n' Roses message board. The band will soon head to Korea for the first time, touring on the back of 'Chinese Democracy.'

Since no one at Noisecreep is fluent in Korean, we can only trust the bilingual skills of the many GNR fans worldwide that have confirmed the contents of this exchange. Naturally, the interviewer asked Rose about his excitement in coming to Korea.

"With [the] concert coming up, we've received a lot of comments on MySpace and our homepage from Korean fans. There are also requests for us to make sure we play specific songs. Korea is a country we always wanted to visit, and now we're here. We can't wait to meet the fans."

GNR is famous for member turnover, and the 'Appetite for Destruction' lineup is long since over. These days, DJ Ashba is handling guitar duties for Guns n' Roses.

"The members with us on this tour are absolutely the best," continues Rose. "Especially the guitarist, DJ Ashba, who's come with lots of experience since he was in the opening act for Kiss and Ozzy Osborne's festival [and] the Marilyn Manson tour. During the tour he switches between about 10 different guitars while performing."

Guns N' Roses head to Taiwan Dec. 11 and then on to Asia, hitting Seoul; Osaka and Tokyo before hitting Canada and South America. No North America dates are scheduled at this time.

jamester

jamester wrote:

1-2010
DJ Ashba, lead guitarist for Guns N' Roses and Sixx AM, gives us a look at his new Ovation Guitars Demented Collection. New for 2010, this new series of guitars features artwork designed and inspired by DJ himself.
[youtube]m4Ek-kfmeB4&feature=player_embedded#[/url]![/youtube]
25679_376894437474_208130482474_3852326_5213073_n.jpg

jamester

jamester wrote:

1-2010
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breaki … 74192.html
Latest News
Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
Guns N' Roses show a massive rock 'n' roll spectacle

Concert Review
Guns N' Roses
Jan. 13, 2010
MTS Centre
Attendance: 7,500
4 stars out of five
By: Rob Williams

Posted: 14/01/2010 6:44 AM |
100113_gnr12_bm.jpg
WINNIPEG — Axl Rose and Guns N' Roses toured in support of Chinese Democracy four times before the album was finally released in November, 2008, 17 years after the last album of GNR originals.

Then nothing. No tour to support the album and only one promotional media interview from the reclusive frontman.
Axl Rose sings up a storm.
100113_gnr7_bm.jpg
Axl Rose sings up a storm. (BORIS.MINKEVICH@FREEPRESS.MB.CA)
100113_gnr9_bm.jpg
(BORIS.MINKEVICH@FREEPRESS.MB.CA)

At least a bunch of people in America got a free Dr. Pepper.

A year later Rose announced he was ready to hit the road in support of the long-awaited album with four shows in Asia and 13 in Canada, the first in Winnipeg at the MTS Centre on Wednesday where they last played in December, 2006.

Why they chose to tour Canada in January, and start in Winnipeg, is anybody's guess, but the 2010 live version of Guns N' Roses is a sight to behold. The show is a massive rock 'n' roll spectacle as 7,500 fans witnessed Wednesday during a two-hour and 50-minute show featuring most of the new album and the band's greatest hits.

The unofficial over/under betting line on the band's start time was 10:30 p.m., and anyone who knows anything about GNR would have had their money on over. The group took the stage at the perfectly decent time of 10:45 p.m., 75 minutes earlier than in 2006, but still more than an hour after opener Sebastian Bach left the stage.

A series of fireworks encircling the stage exploded to start the show before the opening chords of Chinese Democracy kicked in and Rose ran on stage zigzagging his way through his seven-piece band. He was in constant motion throughout the whole song, looking a little like Kid Rock in jeans, a white shirt and fedora, albeit with more facial hair.
100114-guns-roses-2.jpg
More explosions signaled the end of the opener before the familiar riff to Welcome to the Jungle rang out and a huge roar erupted from the crowd as Rose screeched: "Do you know where you are? You're in the jungle, baby. You're gonna diiiiiieeee."

He dumped the hat to reveal a red bandana (and no cornrows!) during the song and showed off his two favourite dance moves -- that weird serpentine slither and a series of herky-jerky bounce steps -- which would be repeated numerous times throughout the night whenever the 47-year-old wasn't running around on the massive stage shaped like the top half of a chalk outline of a body with fluorescent orange tape providing the piping. The circular "head" jutted out from the main body and two "arms" extended out on either side, curving slightly when they hit the seats. The drums were on a riser on the stage's torso flanked by two sets of stairs which ran up behind it while a set of circular lighting rigs with its own LED system moved vertically above it.

Rose's distinctive nasally whine is still in fine form, as he displayed on the swaggering It's So Easy and the drug ode, Mr. Brownstone, two classics from the band's 1987 debut, Appetite for Destruction, that help open the show. He looked and sounded as good as ever, but still relies on TelePrompTers to help out in case he forgets some lyrics.

And he even appeared to be enjoying himself, flashing the occasional smile and offering up some between song banter with the crowd.

"It's nice to be with you tonight. It's nice of you to turn up the heat for us while we're here," he said, referencing the warm weather, before launching into the new Shackler's Revenge, which gave his three guitarists --- Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal, Richard Fortus and DJ Ashba--- a chance to show off some riffs Slash didn't write and allowed Rose to head backstage, something he did often throughout the night.

Massive flames shot in the air and concussion bombs exploded for the band's wall-of-guitars cover of Live and Let Die before they slowed things down with Sorry, If the World and Street of Dreams, three new songs that show off Rose's two best-known sides: ticked off and tender.

They got back into the hard rock boogie with Better, before pulling out some more old faves, with the caustic You Could Be Mine, Sweet Child O' Mine and November Rain, featuring Rose playing a grand piano at centre stage. Each song was given extra heft by the sheer amount of musicians on stage, each of whom got his own solo.
100114-guns-roses-1.jpg
The metal-blues drinking anthem Night Train finished the main 130-minute set before the band returned for a six-song encore, highlighted by Rocket Queen, the ballad Patience and customary show closer Paradise City, climaxing with confetti being shot into the audience and more explosions.

"Have a good night, be safe. We love you and we'll see you again," Rose said after he and his band mates took a bow.

Knowing Rose, anything is possible.

rob.williams@freepress.mb.ca

Board footer