You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Help wanted — jobless need not apply

monkeychow wrote:

Cool.

I'm going to apply this to dating.

If a girl has been single for more than 6 months, that's a massive red flag to me.

I mean if she was capiable of being in a loving relationship she'd be in one, not sitting around parting waiting for the right fit.

So it married women only for me. They've already demonstrated as willingness to commit and the tollerance skills to be able to put up with me.

How's all your wives by the way?

/end sarcasm mode.

christina_rose
 Rep: 15 

I can say from my own experience that not everyone is being lazy/refuses to take "any" job, etc. I moved to another state in July last year, and I went looking for every any any job. I applied to jobs every single day, went to workforce centers, etc. Eventually it gets depressing and you feel like an utter failure. I did get called for interviews once in awhile, and would never hear back. I finally took "any" job, a seasonal, on call job for a retailer at Christmas. I worked MAYBE three days a week, for 4-5 hours a day. Once all the Christmas stuff was put out, I got cut to on call, meaning I would work one day a week. I left once that happened. I knew it was on call, and I wasn't being promised hours, and I took it, because it was something. I went back to looking in January, and I JUST got hired last week for a full time job. I spent seven months looking, and every day was torture. So its not for lack of trying on my end, not by a long shot.

On the other side, I have a friend who was fired from his job, and the company didn't block him from getting unemployment. He stayed on unemployment for as long as possible, simply because he was making more than if he took a menial part time job someplace else. He took every extension offered, and when it finally was set to dry up is when he went looking, and wound up with a part time retail job anyway.

So I can and have seen both sides. I agree some are lazy, don't want to bother looking, or take advantage of the system. But not EVERYONE is like that, and yes I do feel the economy has something to do with the fact that certain people have been without work for so long. When you have 100 people applying for a job looking for only 10, the other 90 are left to keep looking, and to keep hoping. It's not easy to look and not get discouraged when nothing comes along. I feel very fortunate to have my job now. But I think to lump everyone into the category of "lazy" or not bothering to look is unfair.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

It's very unfair.

Ask this...what happens to guys like Buzz if too many people they hire don't work out. They end up in trouble or loose business themselves.

Which means we end up with a society where everyone is afraid to take a risk and everyone has to go with the safest, most cliched, most homogonised outcome.

Some of the most talented people in the world are people that don't fit into the cookie cutter mould...but it's too risky to try out people like that usually, easier to assume everyone is lazy or 'taking advantage of the system' as if the very foundation of capitalism isn't the concept that if you can profit from something that makes it ethical to do so. What's the minimum wage in the usa again? How many working homeless people are there? You know the people that get dressed in a suit to go to work but still can't afford a place to live on their wage.

I don't have a solution, but our society leaves a lot of people to fall through the cracks, and I think it's sad to see people blame those that fall for what is esentially a systemic faliure.

Just my 2c.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

It's all about playing the percentages.  If someone has a great background, I'm still going to call them to find out what their story is and hope that they have a good explanation for it.  It is very, very true that if you want a job, there's a job for you.  It may not be the job you want, but there are tons of jobs out there.  If you're not working (and you don't have a legitimate reason such as health issues or family issues), then you're not really interested in working unless it's exactly the job you want at the amount of pay you want. 

I was making very good money when my position was elimiated.  I took a one month temp position paying $10/hr at the company I now work for to check it out and see if I liked the company.  When that assignment ended, I took a contract doing what I do for a living for about 1/2 what I had been making.  While on that contract assignment, I kept looking for the role I wanted.  My current company contacted me and hired me at about 25% more money than I had been making before my position was eliminated - even in this bad economy.  Why?  Because I am good at what I do, but also because they saw that I did my homework on their company and kept myself busy while looking for the right role.  Would I have gotten the job anyway?  Maybe.  Probably.  But I'm glad I wasn't in a position to have to find out.  You know what else came from that?  The company I worked at as a contractor wants to hire me to work for them.  I have options because I put myself in position to be successful.  People that work hard and take work over not working are always putting themselves in a better situation from a work perspective.  You never know who will be impressed by you and what other opportunities could come as a result.

One more thing to note: Contrary to popular belief, good recruiters don't look for reasons to exclude people; they're looking for reasons to include them.  I would love to just be able to hire the first person I talk to every time...makes my life easier.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

You'd be wrong. Anybody can get a job, but many won't settle for less financially or in title/responsibilities than what they think they are worth, which is fine if you can live with the consequences of that. Others are lazy and choose not to work at all. Both of those are not attractive options from an employer's point of view.

Sure thing. What do you base this on? What data? Your own opinion I'd imagine. I guess you missed the 60 minutes piece on the unemployed. There were people out their hustling to get work, trying everything they could and they couldn't get a call back. And those were the people who had it in them to look, had the street smarts and were able to get out the door and shake the tree.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

It's all about playing the percentages.  If someone has a great background, I'm still going to call them to find out what their story is and hope that they have a good explanation for it.  It is very, very true that if you want a job, there's a job for you.  It may not be the job you want, but there are tons of jobs out there.  If you're not working (and you don't have a legitimate reason such as health issues or family issues), then you're not really interested in working unless it's exactly the job you want at the amount of pay you want...

It's easy for somebody to take anecdotal evidence and then apply it to everybody else. This is not how life works however; one size does not fit all. Unfortunately I read it all too often online: "Well I was able to, so obviously then everybody else should to."

I watched a lot of people lose their jobs in life. One friend lost his about a year ago and was employed shortly thereafter. He's in this mid twenties, white, and good looking. Soon after, he posted on FB how if anybody really wanted a job, they get one. After all he'd lost his job and now landed an even better gig. I had to remind him that it's much easier to get a job when you're young, good looking and white. Lose your job when you're 53 yrs old and see how "easy" it is.

It's easy to tell a alcoholic to quit drinking when you're not a drunk. Easy to tell somebody who is dirt poor to get an education and pull themselves up by their boot straps when you've never experienced the endless cycle of poverty. The lack of empathy in this country is not only naive, but short sighted and disappointing.

I'm watching people on unemployment who have their benefits run out, still not be able to get a job and eventually lose their home to foreclosure. Are we really to believe that they'd rather lose their home rather than take some job that is below them?Other families forced to get their meals from the food bank because they have no money for groceries. Are we to believe they'd rather do this because they feel a job is below them? Surely you jest.

You're also forgetting that not all people have the skills that require them to even look for a job. There is a type of tenacity that exists that drives certain people. Obviously not everybody has this, people become depressed, people aren't sure where/how to start. People are overwhelmed. Not everybody thrives when a crisis hits, many actually fold. It's not some easy formula that anybody can apply, nor does it mean they are lazy.

To try and paint your experiences as the sole truth for everybody else is a dishonest argument,  unrealistic, and void of compassion.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

As someone that has and still does hire people for a living, I can tell you that being out of work that long is a huge red flag. Not saying I wouldn't talk to them, but there better be a reason beyond the economy is bad for it.

Buzz is right. This is what is done. If you're out of work for long with a big gap in your resume, people will start asking questions, and you better have a good answer to them.

If you're out of work, at least do something with your time that you can PUT on your resume, so it won't include a big black hole. I filled my resume with lots of stuff I've done that's not referred to as "hired work", including all the articles I've written, the websites I've made, and the books I have been writing. These things count. It was largely the reason why my current boss hired me.

I don't hire people for a living like buzz does, but I'm in the business of trying to make people work and find jobs, and I know exactly what he's talking about here.

I wouldn't exclude someone with those holes in their CV, but I would question them quite well. Some may just be very unlucky in their job searches, and many dumb fucks may have permanent jobs instead of them, but the basic rule is this; if you're out of a job and just keeps being out a job, there's a reason behind it.

In fact, we had one girl in at work just lately and her CV looked very good. She had plenty of work experience, she'd been to college as well, but even so she was in debt, lives in a dump and can't get further than an interview. Both me and my college are questioning why it's like that with her, and it's something we have to get to the bottom of.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

In debt and lives in a dump?

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:
Olorin wrote:

In debt and lives in a dump?

Things happen quick when you don't have a job and wants to keep living like you do.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Cramer wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

You'd be wrong. Anybody can get a job, but many won't settle for less financially or in title/responsibilities than what they think they are worth, which is fine if you can live with the consequences of that. Others are lazy and choose not to work at all. Both of those are not attractive options from an employer's point of view.

Sure thing. What do you base this on? What data? Your own opinion I'd imagine. I guess you missed the 60 minutes piece on the unemployed. There were people out their hustling to get work, trying everything they could and they couldn't get a call back. And those were the people who had it in them to look, had the street smarts and were able to get out the door and shake the tree.

I'm basing it on 10 years of experience.  That trumps any media agenda.

Board footer