You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 456 

Re: Rock Hall 2011 Eligible: Only Guns N Roses Would Make the Cut

misterID wrote:

I don't own Crossroads.

Outside the fans, I've never met anyone who took Bon Jovi seriously. I think it's generic, bumble gum rock music. The evolution of Herman's Hermits and Frankie Avalon. I pretty much think of them as a big joke. Doesn't mean they don't belong in the HOF, though.

And Classic Rock radio has definitely reinforced my hatred of Bon Jovi. But Bon Jovi was the one band that had massive appeal with women. That's the main thing that's sustained their success. Men are very fickle, they change on a dime and are the hardest demographic to appeal to. Not saying that's the only reason, you have to have talent to write a hit song no matter who you are. But those soccer moms have stuck with them.

Howard Stern used to talk about this all the time. Back in the 80's if you wanted to pick up a chick you go to a Bon Jovi concert. And he said a recent concert he went to, the same chicks were still there. That's a dedicated fan base 16

Re: Rock Hall 2011 Eligible: Only Guns N Roses Would Make the Cut

Lomax wrote:

Bon Jovi are beyond worthy. Musically speaking their output has been stellar.

When the do Bubblegum rock, They do it perfectly well:

When they do Arena rock they do it perfectly well


When they do Hard rock they do it perfectly well



and when they do more metal sounding stuff they do it perfectly well


When they do crooners they do them perfectly well


Live?? They're on a whole other level.

Love them or hate them, they are extremely good.

The Bon Jovi/Sambora writing partnership is an american national treasure if you ask me.


I mean this song You wanna make a memory is easily on of the best crafted songs of the past decade


they even do country perfectly well.

tejastech08
 Rep: 193 

Re: Rock Hall 2011 Eligible: Only Guns N Roses Would Make the Cut

tejastech08 wrote:
Riad wrote:

Live?? They're on a whole other level.

Not from what I've seen. Bon Jovi is a shitty vocalist in the studio to begin with, but he's even worse in a live setting IMHO.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

Re: Rock Hall 2011 Eligible: Only Guns N Roses Would Make the Cut

-D- wrote:

^
guess u haven't taken the time to actually listen to Axl live. Live, Axl would fail out in rockband doing his own stuff. that isn't a knock on Axl, just being honest.

Jon damaged his voice permanently on the Slipper/NJ tours and he has had to alter it a bit to keep on. I give him a pass on that.

This is a great example of his amazing vocal ability:

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: Rock Hall 2011 Eligible: Only Guns N Roses Would Make the Cut

RussTCB wrote:

removed

-D-
 Rep: 231 

Re: Rock Hall 2011 Eligible: Only Guns N Roses Would Make the Cut

-D- wrote:

true

one of my favorite Bon Jovi songs of all time and it was never released on an album. The ultimate B Side:

tejastech08
 Rep: 193 

Re: Rock Hall 2011 Eligible: Only Guns N Roses Would Make the Cut

tejastech08 wrote:
-D- wrote:

^
guess u haven't taken the time to actually listen to Axl live.

I've watched hundreds of live Axl performances. No doubt he is hit or miss. His vocal style is damaging on the vocal cords. But when he is on, it's some of the greatest stuff ever. He has far stronger range and far better charisma than Bon Jovi on stage. Bon Jovi was bitching a few years ago about the fact that people were still paying attention to Axl even though he hadn't released an album in 10+ years, but it's not rocket science. People pay attention to talent. Axl has a ton of it. The other thing about Axl is he runs around (or used to run around) a shitload on stage -- even doing full sprints across massive stages while singing. No other singers do that. And if you don't think it has an impact on a singer's performance, I have oceanfront property in Arizona for sale.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Re: Rock Hall 2011 Eligible: Only Guns N Roses Would Make the Cut

tejastech08 wrote:

Bon Jovi was bitching a few years ago about the fact that people were still paying attention to Axl even though he hadn't released an album in 10+ years, but it's not rocket science. People pay attention to talent. Axl has a ton of it.

tejastech08 wrote:

And how many times do I have to say it? Popularity doesn't mean shit for quality. Reminds me of when people point to box office as proof of a movie's quality. All it means is a lot of people liked it, not necessarily that it's the most amazing thing ever. Quality is a completely subjective issue apart from popularity.

Hypocrite much?

tejastech08
 Rep: 193 

Re: Rock Hall 2011 Eligible: Only Guns N Roses Would Make the Cut

tejastech08 wrote:
Communist China wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Bon Jovi was bitching a few years ago about the fact that people were still paying attention to Axl even though he hadn't released an album in 10+ years, but it's not rocket science. People pay attention to talent. Axl has a ton of it.

tejastech08 wrote:

And how many times do I have to say it? Popularity doesn't mean shit for quality. Reminds me of when people point to box office as proof of a movie's quality. All it means is a lot of people liked it, not necessarily that it's the most amazing thing ever. Quality is a completely subjective issue apart from popularity.

Hypocrite much?

Nope. Popularity isn't a sign of quality. Sometimes the two things converge on each other but one is not a predictor of the other. Just because something is enormously popular doesn't mean it's the most amazing thing ever. And just because something might be amazing in quality doesn't mean it'll become popular. Quality sometimes gets noticed, sometimes it doesn't. In Axl's case it did get noticed. He got lucky compared to a lot of talented but relatively unknown artists out there. Once his talent was noticed, people weren't going to completely ignore him just because he chose to stay silent for all those years.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Re: Rock Hall 2011 Eligible: Only Guns N Roses Would Make the Cut

'People pay attention to talent' is asserting that talent is a predictor of success. If you want to amend that and give some other reason why people paying attention to Axl is different than the many more who pay attention to Bon Jovi, feel free. But don't pretend you haven't been flipping your argument based on who you're applying it to. All you've really managed to say in your many posts in here is that you like GnR, and you don't like Bon Jovi.

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB