You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: RUMOR: GN'R Planning SA tour around RIR

misterID wrote:

How did CD bomb? 500,000 is a good number, it might have gone up to 600,000, not sure. That's not even considering the shitty store exclusive. Over 2 million world wide is not a bomb.

He'd be leaving money on the table doing a theater tour.

Childish behavior? Pot, meet kettle.

btw, I've never heard anyone complaining about KISS, The Stones or any other band playing their hits every night. Yeah, I'm sure all The Stone's fans are so pissed when they leave a show and they didn't just play A Bigger Bang setlist. Playing the hits... What jerks.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I don't think 2002 would inform a modern tour though.

IMO...Rock music has been revitalised since then, 02 would have been around it's lowest peak....and there's a wave of nostalga for classic rock acts of which Axl is one - even if he doesnt have the old line up with him.

Also the modern band has been significantly more active since that time, and there's an album available, the modern band does a lot more publicity apperances (via Bumble and DJ) and the line up no longer contains elements that would shock classic rock fans (Bucket and Robin while cool were so far removed from AFD times it was insane, and Axl isn't dressing like he's a gangster rapper now  - both of which i think alienated some elements of the core fanbase - meanwhile the band also plays the songs significantly closer to the studio tracks now - no more 'hellium' voice, and guitar parts that don't offend slash fans the way robin's did).

In short I think the situation is totally removed from 2002 and there's no reason to assume a repeat of those results.

But i also agree with jamster that they arn't mutually exclusive. If you are traveling to SA anyway it probably makes good economic sense to do some shows etc around the main apperance given you're aleady shipping a ton of equipment and personel over anyway.

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

dave-gnfnr wrote:
misterID wrote:

How did CD bomb? 500,000 is a good number, it might have gone up to 600,000, not sure. That's not even considering the shitty store exclusive. Over 2 million world wide is not a bomb.

He'd be leaving money on the table doing a theater tour.

Childish behavior? Pot, meet kettle.

btw, I've never heard anyone complaining about KISS, The Stones or any other band playing their hits every night. Yeah, I'm sure all The Stone's fans are so pissed when they leave a show and they didn't just play A Bigger Bang setlist. Playing the hits... What jerks.

500,000 for an album that was supposed to save rock, and is from guns n roses is as huge bomb. Anyone who claims CD didnt bomb in the states is in denial.  CD fell of the charts superfast yet GHs is still in the top 100, how did CD not bomb?

As for chidish behavior, what behavior would that be? Telling the truth about this band? I am sorry if some people cannot handle the truth.  Ask any Gnr fan not on these boards if CD was a success, no one will tell you it was. You dont even hear CD songs on the radio, you didnt a few months after CD dropped.  That is bombing. 

As for your claim about fans not complaining about the stones or other  bands playing their hits, first off this band is not guns n roses. Its just Axl land a cover band.  Second, like I said before, Axl said back in 1991 he wanted to BURY AFD and said he wanted to put it behind him, yet he keeps playing those songs.

And the biggest joke is you now have the current band covering what the AFD band wrote and what the CD era band wrote.  This band is just a bunch of nonamed players and Axl.  If Ron or DJ were fired or left, do you really think kanyone would care or even notice besides a few posters on these boards? Of course not. The current line up is just a generic rock band playing AFD cover songs.

Axl could easily play the hits and a CD heavy set list. 

All the fans really care about hearing is WTTJ,Brownstone,SCOM, PC, Nov Rain and patience.  They could easily play those songs every night, plus a few others from AFD or UYI, then play 10 CD songs.

That would make 10 classics and 10 CD songs, but no they dont do that because they know the fans dont care about the CD songs, you are making my point.

Axl shouldnt just call it the greatest hits tour.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

*plays worlds smallest violin*

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

They're not playing in the US because of you Dave.

johndivney wrote:

i agree with dave on this.. axl is a giant asshat for not being able to save rock.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

It would only make sense to plan at least some shows around Rock in Rio, while they're there.  And I agree that a mini SA tour wouldn't necessarily rule out a US tour altogether, though things aren't looking too good on that front right now.  Eventually it'll happen,,,, I think.

Lomax wrote:

I remember this one time, my friends dad used to beat his mom and touch his daughter but then he saved rock and I was like YOU ROCK MAN

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

They aren't avoiding the US by accident, and even if you want to blame some of that on the issues with their former manager, it's hard to not see the trend that started long before that happened.

Board footer