You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jamester
 Rep: 84 

Re: 2011-12 Guns n Roses Tour

jamester wrote:

Im EXCITED !  ...........will do any show in about 300 miles.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Naltav wrote:

I'm excited even though I don't live in the US!
ANY activity is good news in my book!

Yeah me too. People have been wanting a usa tour for a long time so it's nice to see it actually happen.

My long term excitment for GNR surrounds the posibility of more unheard music - but I realise that's more of a long term hope.

johndivney wrote:
Olorin wrote:

Whens he finishing up, or has he already? Wonder when they will all get together for rehearsals.

yea. they haven't had enough practice playing the same 17 songs for the past 2 years..

johndivney wrote:
Naltav wrote:
johndivney wrote:

there are so many 'could-be' & 'should do' great idea's floating around GnR, not just in relation to them touring the US.. but in the end, it's the same old trip.. the spontaneity & spark has long been replaced by a half-assed attempt at professionalism & compromising on everything & achieving next to nothing except a paycheck.

people were excited to hear new songs last time 'cause the myth still existed & people wanted to believe in Axl & a Bucketheaded Guns. now the new songs (asif) will be played by robots who haven't written a note for the band.

there is no hope.

If you're shooting for the stars and hoping that GNR will be "on top of the world" again (in whatever incarnation), then I agree, there is no hope.

But if you take a step back, grab a reality check and just enjoy a great show from a kickass band. Then there's hope and a lot of good stuff coming fans' way!

"a great show from a kickass band"
what is a great show for you is different from what is a great show to me, likewise a kickass band.

i am reality. i've got no expectations.
doesn't mean i can't be sad about that.
i don't give a toss about being tip-top of the world. it's the lack of endeavour & honest rock n roll that is the problem. it's not playing to stadiums that i miss.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Olorin wrote:

Whens he finishing up, or has he already? Wonder when they will all get together for rehearsals.

One of Ron's hurricane related tweets yesterday mentioned him going to LA.  Could we assume that'd be for rehearsal?

Can't wait for the rest of the dates to roll on out.  I'm sure I'll be able to convince at least a few friends to give GNR a 3rd chance.  They had good times at the last two, so shouldn't be that hard.  Though money is a little tighter these days.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

have you all seen this band live?
They have great chops, and they seem like sound lads but there is something about the fact that most of these guys didn't write any of the songs being played that makes it a 'meh' for me.

It was like watching Slash "solo" without the rest of VR.. when its just one musicisan on stage whose work I've followed it seems a lesser thing to me that when they are there in a gang.

I've seen the old band three times (two with Izzy!) so I'm ruined.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

have you all seen this band live?
They have great chops, and they seem like sound lads but there is something about the fact that most of these guys didn't write any of the songs being played that makes it a 'meh' for me.

It was like watching Slash "solo" without the rest of VR.. when its just one musicisan on stage whose work I've followed it seems a lesser thing to me that when they are there in a gang.

I've seen the old band three times (two with Izzy!) so I'm ruined.

I haven't seen THIS lineup live yet and I never got to see any incarnation of GNR prior to 2002, so I certainly missed out on the golden age.  At this point, I'll take what I can get.  But I certainly see where you're coming from and it makes total sense.  I mean, it's kind of ridiculous when you stop and think about it.  DJ playing songs he really has nothing to do with.  I mean Ron IS on the album, but he had nothing to do with creating any of the songs.  So yeah, I get that point, but like I said I'll take whatever I can get.  None of us are getting any younger.  Who knows how many more chances we'll get to see this, or any other lineup under the GNR banner, however ridiculous it might seem.

A little update on a possible CT show this fall (and ultimately a full US tour).  Concert promoter Jim Koplik was asked about the possibility again a couple weeks back on WCCC and he is sticking to his story.  He said that IF GNR decides to tour, he expects them to play CT in the fall.  It's at the very end of the segment if you want to listen.

http://nyc03.egihosting.com:8002/wccc/6 … 9_2011.mp3

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
Naltav wrote:

That some fans gets embarrassed, well, I can understand that not being a top priority in the GNR-camp...

That actually raises a good point. I think the choices for arenas after knowing the data (ie previous sales in American markets) showcases Axl's ego more than anything. That being said, I'm sure he does care when they place isn't packed. The worst I saw was in Jax Florida. They came on late and it was Halloween. People were leaving in droves after only the first 3-4 songs. By the end of the night it was more than half empty, there was hardly anybody left. They only did one song for the encore too, and I can guarantee you that was because of crowd size (or lack there of. ) We were able to go right up the front (side) near the end of the concert. Even those seats had left...think about that.

If it's simply ticket sales than perhaps 8000 tix (half empty arena) sold vs 4000 tix (sold out smaller venue) may be better for raw dollars. The thing that always comes back to me is operating expenses. Yes 8000 tickets is obviously more money, but when you factor in the overheard to put on such a big production, plus the operations costs of a full sized arena, it could very well yield a loss. I don't know don't what kind of money it takes to pull of an arena sized show, but I can't imagine it's cheap.

Again though, just like anything else, if they do poorly or break even in American markets it may not mean shit since they were a gain overall for the year. I'd imagine whoever finances the tour is looking for a return on their money and that is the risk involved. If the profits are Europe 10, Asia 15, S. America 15, USA -2, it's still a net gain of 38. Board members always think America is the end all and be all, and don't look at the big picture.

Away from the numbers and simply as a fan it drives me  crazy because GnR have the capability to be huge again in America. That's why I like smaller venues. It creates buzz...another sold out show where they WENT ON STAGE ON TIME and fucking killed it for 3 hours. Make a killer video and put it on youtube. Be a surprise guest on Letterman (stay still and don't run out of breath) or somewhere else...whatever. It's not that hard to do. They already (still) have an uphill battle for not being Old GNR, then add into the mix the unprofessional behavior (I don't want to hear that's how Axl is, everybody else shows up on time and plays), half empty venues and the press just slams them for it. If they tweaked a few things they would actually get good press for a change and whip something up. I dunno....they whole thing is a let down.

I'll see them in Miami and Tampa and that will be fun. The days of paying top dollar for seats and traveling all over to see this band are long gone though.

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:
Cramer wrote:
Naltav wrote:

That some fans gets embarrassed, well, I can understand that not being a top priority in the GNR-camp...

That actually raises a good point. I think the choices for arenas after knowing the data (ie previous sales in American markets) showcases Axl's ego more than anything. That being said, I'm sure he does care when they place isn't packed. The worst I saw was in Jax Florida. They came on late and it was Halloween. People were leaving in droves after only the first 3-4 songs. By the end of the night it was more than half empty, there was hardly anybody left. They only did one song for the encore too, and I can guarantee you that was because of crowd size (or lack there of. ) We were able to go right up the front (side) near the end of the concert. Even those seats had left...think about that.

If it's simply ticket sales than perhaps 8000 tix (half empty arena) sold vs 4000 tix (sold out smaller venue) may be better for raw dollars. The thing that always comes back to me is operating expenses. Yes 8000 tickets is obviously more money, but when you factor in the overheard to put on such a big production, plus the operations costs of a full sized arena, it could very well yield a loss. I don't know don't what kind of money it takes to pull of an arena sized show, but I can't imagine it's cheap.

Again though, just like anything else, if they do poorly or break even in American markets it may not mean shit since they were a gain overall for the year. I'd imagine whoever finances the tour is looking for a return on their money and that is the risk involved. If the profits are Europe 10, Asia 15, S. America 15, USA -2, it's still a net gain of 38. Board members always think America is the end all and be all, and don't look at the big picture.

Away from the numbers and simply as a fan it drives me  crazy because GnR have the capability to be huge again in America. That's why I like smaller venues. It creates buzz...another sold out show where they WENT ON STAGE ON TIME and fucking killed it for 3 hours. Make a killer video and put it on youtube. Be a surprise guest on Letterman (stay still and don't run out of breath) or somewhere else...whatever. It's not that hard to do. They already (still) have an uphill battle for not being Old GNR, then add into the mix the unprofessional behavior (I don't want to hear that's how Axl is, everybody else shows up on time and plays), half empty venues and the press just slams them for it. If they tweaked a few things they would actually get good press for a change and whip something up. I dunno....they whole thing is a let down.

I'll see them in Miami and Tampa and that will be fun. The days of paying top dollar for seats and traveling all over to see this band are long gone though.

Maybe the cost of renting out a theatre for two nights vs. renting out an arena for one night makes more sense. Considering the entire staff of GNR and staff at the venue (with all that comes with it), playing to an arena that has 2000 unsold tickets doesn't mean jack to anybody involved in GNR.

But hey, what the hell do I know! I'm just pulling arguments out of my ass when it comes to organizing a GNR-tour! And so are the 3-4 other people on the board!

The stuff about GNR being able to marked themselvs better (Letterman etc), I don't disagree!
But at this stage of the game, do we really see that mentality changing anytime soon? No! So it's not worth my time or energy!

Just enjoy!

Hope you get to see them in Miami or Tampa! 9

Sky Dog wrote:

The Miami radio station took the Gnr thing off their website....

As for playing in half empty arenas vs sold out theatres, you have to also consider that by playing for 3000-4000 more people, you get double the beer/concession sales and merchandise sales.

The promoters and venue are looking to make money too. It's a joint venture so it isn't always "Axl's Ego" that books the venue. wink

Board footer