You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Re: Guns N' Roses Live From Rock In Rio

Bono wrote:
-D- wrote:

Yeah Faldor, he cared once he realized he didn't prepare

one of my fave sayings: Failing to prepare is preparing to fail

He realized quickly that he couldn't just roll out of bed and be Axl Rose

Exactly! he cared after the fact. It's like showing regret once you realized you fucked up.  It's like apologizing not for your actions but for the fact you got busted or criticized. He only seemd to care after he realized he was making a  fool of himself. If he TRUELY cared he'd have been prepared.

Also Faldor saying all artists do cash grab tours just isn't true in the sense most artists tour to promote a new album and to bring their new material to the fans. Axl doesn't do that. He tours the old songs and does so based off the old band's legacy. That is a cash grab tour. It's a nostalgia act.  He played 4 songs off CD, 2 of which he's been playing for 11 years. So in reality 2 "new" songs the other night.

This is the 4th go round now for this era of the band and it's been the same setlist pretty much from the get go. It's a cash grab tour more than anything else.  Yes all artists hope to profit from a  tour but I think there's a huge difference in motives behind what other artists are doing and waht this tribute act is doing.  There's toruing to make a profit and promote somehting new and there's cash grab tours milking the past for everything it's worth while presenting your fans with nothing new.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
-D- wrote:

Yeah Faldor, he cared once he realized he didn't prepare

one of my fave sayings: Failing to prepare is preparing to fail

He realized quickly that he couldn't just roll out of bed and be Axl Rose

True, although I think he knew beforehand that he didn't prepare.  I'm in total agreement that they should've done some type of warmup show(s) before this big event.  It's almost as if they're using these Latin American shows as a warmup for the US tour, which isn't actually a bad idea considering they're beloved there and can do no wrong.  BUT, I would think they'd want to be a little more prepared for RIR.

Like you said, he thought he could just show up and be on point.  It didn't happen that way though.  I don't see that as a lack of caring though, more of a misjudgment.  And a large one at that.  Like someone else said, if this was you normal run of the mill show it wouldn't be THAT big a deal.  This thread would be about 3 pages long.  But since it was such a widely publicized and televised event, it's getting the full treatment that it deserves.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Bono, I get that too.  Obviously there have been hurdles along the way.  I don't think things have happened as Axl would have hoped.  I think his intention was to get the album out long before Buckethead AND Robin jumped ship.  They were there for CD tour #1 we'll call it.  Buckethead wasn't the easiest guy to replace, took a few years.  So they went out on CD tour #2 with Ron onboard.  Then Robin left just before CD came out.  Enter DJ and CD tour #3 all around the world, except for the US.  So now we have CD tour #4, the US version.

I know it's ridiculous, and you can call it a cash grab if you'd like.  But they haven't toured CD properly in the US, as crazy as that sounds.  They're about to do that.  Again, it's insane when you start to think about, but that's how it is.

And I'll agree with you, and others, who say that new music doesn't seem to be a major priority right now.  At least not new music with this current lineup.  MAYBE we'll get some of the leftovers from the Chinese sessions, but even that seems like a long shot at this point.  Motivation doesn't seem to be pushing Axl down the creativity path at the moment, actually it's been that way for some time.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
russtcb wrote:
Ali wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Oh I'm happy with my Chicago tickets and I'll be happy with my Detroit ones. My initial concern was that the tour happen at all based on Axl's whole attitude at RiR

Understood, but to suggest there is something wrong with buying tickets despite what, as of now, stands as a single bad show, is absurd to me.

Ali

I saw someone on mygnr started a thread to basically "pat themselves on the back" for having not bought tickets prior to Rock In Rio and how there's no chance they'll buy tickets now.

The way I look at that is "Yippie for you!". If you start a thread like that, you probably never had any intention on buying tickets, supporting the band and were probably hoping for the worst anyways.

My thing is this; I'm calling a spade a spade. RiR (IMO) was a bad show for Axl. Not because of his weight, not because of his voice, not because of the rain, not because SoaD ran over, not because he flugged some lyrics, simply because his attitude was terrible.

Having lived through A LOT of GN'R mishaps in the past 20 or so years as all of us have, I've seen his attitude get in the way more than anything. So I honestly became completely worried that his attitude at RiR meant that there might be some rough times ahead. Up to and including just plain cancelling the US Tour.

Yeah, if I were an American hardcore GN'R (or Axl) fan, I'd buy my ticket in a heartbeat. This RIR fiasco would only drive me even more, cause there is a chance for a long hiatus and I'd want to see Axl. Good or bad, doesn't matter from this perspective, cause it's like seeing The Rolling Stones today - they are not as good as they usec to be, but who knows if there is another chance to catch a show? Poor sales would only raise the chance for the tour collapse.

I understand the softcores though, I'd never buy a ticket after RIR, if I was not a huge fan. People underestimate the power of youtube - if you wanna taste a band live, that's the first place people to go, and RIR is their freshest and HQ possibility.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

Yeah, if I were an American hardcore GN'R (or Axl) fan, I'd buy my ticket in a heartbeat. This RIR fiasco would only drive me even more, cause there is a chance for a long hiatus and I'd want to see Axl. Good or bad, doesn't matter from this perspective, cause it's like seeing The Rolling Stones today - they are not as good as they usec to be, but who knows if there is another chance to catch a show? Poor sales would only raise the chance for the tour collapse.

That is true you just never know. Even as a U2 fan I always wonder if the last show I see will be the last time I see them and they in my mind are still firing on all cylinders and always talking about future plans but they're old 16   Now take into account Axl who is basically the same age and at this very moment is not firing on all cylinders and seemingly has no future plans or at least shows nothing to indicate that.... you just never know

Mikkamakka wrote:

I understand the softcores though, I'd never buy a ticket after RIR, if I was not a huge fan. People underestimate the power of youtube - if you wanna taste a band live, that's the first place people to go, and RIR is their freshest and HQ possibility.

Excellent point! I do that all the time and I always look up said bands most recent performances.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I think there is an assumption in this thread that he was able to do better.

He doesn't need to be in attractive physical shape to have a good voice.

But his voice wasn't good that night.

And he didn't look happy about it.

Who gives a shit about forgetting some words...you know it would have ment nothing if he'd  been back to 2006 banchie Axl in nighttrain. But that didn't happen either.

Saying he doesn't care is not right. If he didn't care he would have just phoned in a peformance, walked off with a massive grin counting the cash. But it wasn't like that - he seemed bothered that it wasn't going well.

I think maybe he's doing the best he can but sometimes it's not so easy.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:

I just watched the tv rip version of the show i must admit its a lot better then the you tube stream

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Not poutting in an effort to be ready isn't doing the best he can. Come on now. He did the best he could while sitting on his ass the past 10 months. He's clearly not motivated by anything right now. There could be a million reasons for it, but the output is the only thing that matters. If you can't do it anymore, hang it up. If you don't want to do it anymore, hang it up. If you want to do it, do it, but give it at least 75%, and don't limit that to the performance itself.

I am fine with Axl doing the nostolgia thing with this band if that's what hewants to do, but this is embarrassing for him. If you're going to be gnr, be gnr. It's so sad to watch what's going on now. Makes me long for the days when I was mad he was using the name but at least putting on a decent show.

christina_rose
 Rep: 15 

I really don't understand what his weight has to do with anything, and it makes me really sad that even the 'media' has decided to focus on his looks. Who the hell cares? Yeah, when I saw the first couple of pictures of him I was like um, but it's still Axl Rose. Or at least something resembling Axl. I think he's lost ad doesn't know how to find his way back. There is still a good man under that shell someplace. And while I don't want to see him half ass or screw up any more than the next person, I am just thankful to still have him here and be able to see him sing. Even my husband doesn't get it, bit that's okay by me. When I hear there is a tour going on, I know I have to go, because there's no promise there will be another. I am sad that Axl wasted so many years doing a lot of nothing. He is very talented and is a great singer and showman. It sucks that we only have a handful of what I feel he is capable of producing. As far as Rio goes, it really hurt to watch it. He started the night off not so good, then kicked all sorts of ass, and by the end it was like he had enough. But he still pulled off PC and finished, and I give him credit for that. I'm not about to try and figure out what was going on with him. I hope it was just something like he had a bad day, or maybe he wasnt happy with what was going on. I really hope he is okay. I am still excited about the US tour, and I am also cautious because I know he's got more shows to get through before he gets here. I hope he shows us that he still can in fact kick ass.

For the record, I do have an Axl poster from lord knows how long ago. I'd say 12 years or more. And I'd plaster a poster of him from Rio on my wall too if I got my hands on one.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

How much credit can we give him for finishing the show though, sure it was awful weather conditions and not much seemed to go right, he was upset by the end... but did they play for free?
If so then all the credit in the world to them, but then again were they not paid a with a rather hefty cheque for their ordeal?  I'm not sure how Rock In Rio works, is it a charity? Was it free to get in to RIR 1 and 2? I think I remember something like that, but not really certain, mabye the original was a free concert...

Board footer