You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Robin vs. DJ Ashba

Lomax wrote:

Robin plays like he's got one giant hooved finger and baby slash gets on my tits.

Robin plays a mean Christina Aguilera cover, and DJ can dance  by God can he dance though. It's a tough tough call.

In reality both are surplus to requirements.

Bring back Adler put him on guitar

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:

Alls I know is, I never could stand Robin's Sweet Child O' Mine.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
-D- wrote:

Axl basically stated in a Rolling Stone interview Robin sucked.

When was this?

I don't know the exact quote off hand, but after Robin left the band the first time he said something to the effect that they were able to bring the band and guitar playing to a higher level.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

He also said Buckethead leaving was going to get CD released quicker, remember that?

When a guy leaves, he slags them, but wants them back at the same time. The second time Robin left he didn't understand his lifestyle... A TV in the closet... But left the door open for him to come back. Brian May talked about how depressed Axl was when Robin left... When he said all that shit about Bucket we learned that he was trying to get him back up to the last minute before their first 06 show.  Typical Axl. If Robin sucked Axl wouldn't have brought him in, or brought him back and wouldn't have been "emotionally attached to his work" according to Brian May.

These Vs. threads are basically like pissing in the wind. So, I won't be commenting on it or voting. All t does is open the door for people who don't like either to bash them and it goes nowhere except to start fight.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

also with the comment that people didint c are about robin til he left...might be true to an extent but oft times people jsut dont bother spending the energy to try and persuade people to their pov...

part of the thing with Axl is i think he wanted it to work so he has a tough time of letting go once he gets his heart set on a certain direction

ideally one would want the band that recorded the material to perform it live as well...life isnt always ideal though

AtariLegend wrote:

If people don't like the guitar playing on the album they must they not like Finck, if they do then think his playing isn't that bad.

Finck's song writting credits are enough of a justiification for a fan like me. I'm not basing it on look and if I was, Finck's 06/07 look still comes above DJs.

Forgive me btw... Need to get a new keyboard that doesn't randomly skip letters I press.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

For as much as I would love to hear more Bucket vault trx, I would much rather have the next GN'R album be done by the guys currently out there.

I'm in the minority on this...but I actually really liked how Chinese worked out so we had sort of a bit of everyone. Like buckethead rips some cool shit on there, and yet there's also Ron shredding out stuff.

I know it could get too cut and pastey...but I also feel that adding DJ and Ron's abilities to the earleir works could actually improve the magic.

Why? Well...I think Robin's stuff on CD is good...so I'm assuming he's also got some good stuff on CD2. Meanwhile...DJ is a hell of a producer...and frequently works with other guitarists...so I think if you let DJ play with existing contributions from Bucket/Ron/Robin and add anything he thinks of himself....then you could wind up with something that has a more co-hesive feel than the CD tracks do...but also features the unique styles of so many gifted musicans at once.

I'd like to see a bit of both to be honest. Some brand new tracks but also stuff Axl has been sitting on. I feel that DJ could bring back a rocker balance to anything that goes too far in the industrial direction or if the record becomes too ballad focused.

So i agree with you that it could be a killer album if these guys get involved, but I also think even working with older tracks they're what's been missing for a while, so it should be a great album.

bono wrote:

Not an overly difficult task in my honest opinion.  Every once in a  while I go back to CD just to give it another shot and I can say at this point 3 years later it's a boring album to me. There's a handful of songs that are good, the rest bore me and I only really like Prostitute but even that song sounds so generic to me.

That's interesting.

I can agree with some of your coments about the overall album sound having a bit of a cut "cut and pasted" flavour at times, it's also challanging in that way as you have so many different style players blended but also a number of songs are not clearly identifiable in one style - they jump around or have elements of everything. Which to me makes them interesting but I'll admit it's not a casual listen.

To my personal prefrence - I'm not really sold on the mixing and mastering job - too many of the finer details seem to be inaudiable at times - deconstructing it even only as far as the rockband type streams you start to hear little nuances that are hard to find on the studio version. I think this doesn't help the overall sort of cluttered vibe some of the songs have.

Where we disagree though is the overall quality. While i see some of those issues i've mentioned above, there's so many tracks on this album that I really think are fantastic songs, and up there with Axl's best wrtinfg. Madagascar, TIL, TWAT...even SOD...I start going through the album and it reminds me of UYI in that it's such a journey but there's so many hidden gems.

Like how we all talk about trimming the fat from UYI but can't agree on what should go in that other thread. To me there's elements of that on CD, as well...for example I really like some of the songs that others frequently dislike on there..(scraped etc)...

It's the interesiting thing about GNR i've always felt though - that we're all into it - but we all hear different things and respond to different tracks better than others.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
-D- wrote:

When was this?

I think maybe you guys are thinking of the MTV interview:

Robin's departure was abrupt, sudden, you know, not expected [...] but at the same time, it's turned out to be a good thing. We've been able to push some of the guitar parts a step farther, that had he been here, it's not something that would have been considered, and I wouldn't have been rude enough to attempt to do that.

I dunno if that's saying Robin sucks though, more just Axl being honest that Bucket's got chops beyond most players and saying bringing him in gave them a shot add additional badass solos etc. Sort of looking at the bright side that even though Robin quit on him...he gets the best of both worlds by being able to keep what he wants from robin's stuff and now add bucket which he wouldnt otherwise have done.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
-D- wrote:

When was this?

I think maybe you guys are thinking of the MTV interview:

Robin's departure was abrupt, sudden, you know, not expected [...] but at the same time, it's turned out to be a good thing. We've been able to push some of the guitar parts a step farther, that had he been here, it's not something that would have been considered, and I wouldn't have been rude enough to attempt to do that.

I dunno if that's saying Robin sucks though, more just Axl being honest that Bucket's got chops beyond most players and saying bringing him in gave them a shot add additional badass solos etc. Sort of looking at the bright side that even though Robin quit on him...he gets the best of both worlds by being able to keep what he wants from robin's stuff and now add bucket which he wouldnt otherwise have done.

Thanks Monkey

People talk about Robin's songwriting credits but outside of Better, nothing guitar wise is that good riff wise. Any half assed guitarist can put together some power chords.

AtariLegend wrote:

To use something, that certain fans normally use to dimish Axl's song writting ... ASCAP:

1.    BETTER
    (Work ID: 323536438)
2 .   CATCHER IN THE RYE
    (Work ID: 334474378)
3 .   CHINESE DEMOCRACY
    (Work ID: 334393698)
4 .   PROSTITUTE
    (Work ID: 463436497)
5 .   RIAD N' THE BEDOUINS
    (Work ID: 482479334)
6 .   SHACKLER S REVENGE
    (Work ID: 495999098)
7 .   STREET OF DREAMS
    (Work ID: 497227195)

That solo, on "This I Love" isn't too shaby either.

Board footer