You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: December 16, Key Arena- Seattle, WA

misterID wrote:
faldor wrote:
gibbo wrote:

I reckon they need to cut back on instrumentals stuff. I thought it was bad enough in 2006 when seen them Everone was getting bored with it

My friends who went to the show with me actually enjoyed the covers and instrumentals and I've heard other non fanatics say the same thing.  So I'm not so sure about that.

I also agree with Saikin about CD keeping GNR in the public eye.  I made that argument a few weeks back and Bono disagreed.  We went back and forth a bit, but obviously neither of us budged so there's no need to go any further.  But I do believe it helped keep the GNR name afloat, as did Velvet Revolver and Slash remaining hugely popular.

Karma, all the way around.
For truth...

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Brian Johnson, Mick Jagger, Eddie Vedder, Greg Allman, Dave Matthews.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Yeah, not many 16

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Mixed views on this topic.

I love CD, amazing album, but to me the real tragedy of it is the degree to which the controversy surrounding it (is it really GNR with a new band? How much money did it cost? How many years did we have to wait? Why is Axl so eccentric?) distracts from what I feel artistically is brilliant work.

Even now if you talk about it with a non-harccore, you're likely to get a response like "Did that ever come out?" or "But it doesn't have Slash" or something similar.

For this reason, although I consider it a great album, in terms of it's impact to the general public perception of GNR - while to a minor extent it may have kept the name alive - I feel it mostly did so by reference to what had died. IE: People saying "this is NOT gnr without Slash" or "there has not been a GNR album in 12 years" or "Axl is a this..Axl is that" etc.

If we're talking about what earned the nod for RRHOF I can't get passed the idea that it was AFD and then UYI and the tour that followed. The relevance of CD as an enimgma of an album was surely minor compared to hearing SCOM every time the radio plays a rock love song theme. Or going to the sports and hearing Jungle. Or the ongoing occasional radio play at least on rock stations here of UYI Gnr songs like YCBM, LALD, KOHD and so on. Then add in VR, which was heavily promoted as the successor to GNR at first, and then stuff like the GH3 game and you have the reason that GNR sticks in people's minds: For the very reason that GNR now gets the nod - those albums were timeless, world-class, and absolutely influenced a generation and everything in the genre that's come after them.

I can see what you guys mean about the CD era and it's mythological aspects surrounding Axl. But to me these are more closely connected to Axl's reputation, the harcore fans like us who post on these boards daily (to whom the whole CD wait was absolutely fundemental I'm sure) and similar things.

I honestly feel to the general public CD is a footnote to the real thing that is being remembered as now 25 years old - the AFD club days and the subsequent UYI grandiose tour.

I guess our opinions vary so no offence to anyone who disagrees. It's worth noting that to me it doesn't affect CD either. I think CD is a fantastic album, and I think the old albums are fantastic. Two great line ups, two great eras. To me this ROHOF thing is simply about celebrating the first of those - which takes nothing away from what has been achieved since and hopefully what will continue to happen.

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:

Jams/Covers/Solos... while it might not be the thing you nessesarily flip to if you're listening to a recording, or watching a video, they are - in my opinion - really fun live. A guitar solo live that you can feel because of the amp actually moving air around you, and seeing the guy feel the music as he does it, is just a totally different experience.

Even Adelita's Way (?) - I enjoyed their guitarists doing their thing, even though the singer had to ruin it with his singing/lyrics.

Nothing beats good guitar and jams. They're like a love language.
Edit: And I'm the least likely guy to ever buy a guitarists solo album... live is a completely different thing, that's what makes a rockshow a rockshow and not a recital.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

I posted the question on my facebook asking if the new guys in Guns N' roses who helped record Chinese democracy should be inducted along side Slash, Duff, Izzy, Steven & Matt. the answer was a resounding 'hell no!' Not one single person felt the new guys should be inducted. then again my friends are a total annomally and as others have suggested would NEVER reflect the opinions of the genral public. you know the people unlike us who dont' spend every waking hour discussing the band online.

People on these message boards can think it all they want. The rest of th world thinks hell no and rightfully so.

CD on it's own merrit is a competely different topic. CD has no part in the discussion of the RRHF when it comes to Guns N' Roses being inducted.

CD did not keep Gn'R in the public eye and if it did it sure as hell didn't ahve anything to do with robin Finck or Buckethead. It had everything to dow ith Axl and Axl alone. The old songs are what kept Gn'R in the public eye, The old band members did and Velvet Revolver did. CD kept the topic of conversation going for us nerds on the internet and that's it.

I dont' understand what is so hard for people to admit this. you're no less of a fan by steping back and aknowledging what is real. CD played no part in Gn'R's legacy when it comes to getting into the RRHOF.

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:

^Hey, I admit that?

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
misterID wrote:
faldor wrote:
gibbo wrote:

I reckon they need to cut back on instrumentals stuff. I thought it was bad enough in 2006 when seen them Everone was getting bored with it

My friends who went to the show with me actually enjoyed the covers and instrumentals and I've heard other non fanatics say the same thing.  So I'm not so sure about that.

Karma, all the way around.
For truth...

I'm sure it works both ways. People who think they're boring and those who like it.  I've heard both sides from the people I went with. I personally think it's a bit much to have three guitar solos, 1 piano solo and a bunch of band jams but whatever.  the shows are awesome with or without. If I had my way I'd drop all of it except the three guitar solos.

I do think it's kind of important to showcase those guys if this band plans on moving forward.  Maybe a beter way fo doing ti would be have all three guys solo at once. Like play condensed versiosn of their solos and then let the other guy come in.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

bono, i posted the same poll on www.gnrevolution.com

no, i didn't but after carefully reading others' posts i achieved the same results as if i had.

i found that everybody here agrees with you, little buddy.

you dont need to keep stressing the same point.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Nevermind

Board footer