You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: So.... What's Next?

johndivney wrote:

slash saying he wont perform is interesting.

the dynamics & bitterness between him & axl will never be resolved. there is no happy ending.

"no good reason" for the late starts is totally 100% ot$ btw.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I personally think Axl needs to psyche himself up. Also why Beta didn't tell him about the trunk interview before the show, and how he himself likened it to professional sports. He's obviously an emotional guy and I think if things derail him the day of the show then he just can't do it.

So i actually think there is a good reason, but I think it's something that slash doesnt understand because their personality types are too different.

rose22
 Rep: 12 

rose22 wrote:

among other things i'm predicting that the old lineup will play a gig b4 the hall. something small in new york or l.a. no reunion. new album by years end followed by another tour with a singnificantly altered set. i.e..in addition to cd and other new songs, old songs swapped for other oldies. an appearance an one or more late nite shows. hows that for optimism?

Sky Dog wrote:

I don't think anything will happen before RRHOF and have no clue what will happen there.

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Big picture though guys.

How many shows had Axl gone on late to at that point? How many riots had occured? How many occurrences of Axl flipping out and getting into fights had happened? How many times had he been arrested? How hard had it been to write UYI together?

No one is a saint in GNR, but the point is - if a manager tells you that Axl wants something this way and implies that shit will go down if it doesn't happen - do Slash and Duff really have any reason to doubt it?

Of course Axl didn't directly demand that shit. It would have been duress. But in the broader context of the band - everyone had been trying to deal with Axl's emotions for some time at this stage (Just as Axl had been trying to deal with their junkie bullshit)...so it didn't need to be intimated directly - but it's hardly a stetch to beleive that they might have thought that if they didn't do what was asked of them then all hell would break loose. And some of it's personal problems for them too - Slash would have died if the band haddn't hit the road - so he'd go along with most anything.

Certainly, no one blames Slash and Duff for thinking that all hell would have broken loose had they not signed the agreement.  But, it's not insignificant to make the distinction between a direct threat and a request and/or the actions of a third party.

FYI, if you heard what Duff said during the radio interview on the Opie and Anthony show, it's clear that there was a concern about Slash and Duff's health and that the people around the band at that point wanted "safeguards" (Duff's exact words).

Opie & Anthony: Did he [Axl] really come to you and Slash and wanted you to sign paper before you went on stage.

Duff McKagan: No no no.  I hope that part of the book is clear. In that part of our group, I don't think there was any connection between management and the band and all of that stuff. I do think people thought Slash and I were going to die. I think there were some safe guards...the point I was trying to make was our band had gotten so out of our control.

The papers were presented to us [by management].

Opie & Anthony: Do you think it was more of a management thing than from him [Axl] personally?

Duff McKagan: To this day I don't really know.

Ali

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Well, when someone doesn't go on stage until he gets his beef, it's not far-fetched to think he'd cause a riot without getting the name.

BTW what would have happened if Slash or Duff had died? The wives, Renee and Linda would have become Guns N' Roses? Please.

I know that Duff, for whatever reasons, became an Axl-apologist (long way from the law suits he wanted to start and the 'Axl didn't write anything..ooops, I really like My World' comment), but first of all, nobody would sign away those rights without a penny, second, if they were so drugged-up that didn't know what they sign (what some forum members suggest sometimes), then it wasn't a friendly move by the Axl camp, not to mention that it would not have been lawful.

Anyway, Axl showed who he is, when he left Guns N' Roses and started a new band with the same name, inviting his ex-partners to be his employees. This was the dirtiest move in the history of GN'R, and possibly in the entire history of rock music.

Mikkamakka

Mikkamakka wrote:

doubled post

Sky Dog wrote:

please give me a good explanation as to why Duff would say this now? You all know good and damn well that Slash and Duff were completely out of it at the time and had no real coherent explanation as to what happened with the name issue.

You wanna know why all those Slash/Duff lawsuits were dropped...

Duff McKagan: To this day I don't really know.

They had NOTHING.

Mikkamakka

Mikkamakka wrote:

sorry

Sky Dog wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Slash is full of shit. Slash has always acted like he holds the cards in a reunion, because he's been powerless in Guns N' Roses, at least since 1993.

Don't you mean 1990? Isn't that when he signed over his rights to the name?

No, the name issue happened allegedly while on tour in 1993 and around the same time they renegotiated there deal with Geffen.

Duff on the name thing...

On July 5, 1993, we all rendezvoused in Barcelona for a huge outdoor show at the Olympic Stadium. Axl came in from Venice. I returned from who a visit with Linda to the Spanish island of Ibiza. Slash was already in Barcelona.

After Suicidal Tendencies and Brian May had played their opening sets, our manager, Doug Goldstein, sent an oddly formal request to see me and Slash before the show. This was unusual.

contact in 1992....

"In 1992, Geffen's corporate predecessor entered into a new recording agreement with Hudson, McKagan and Rose dated September 1, 1992 (hereinafter the Recording Agreement). Prior to the signing of the 1992 Recording Agreement, Adler and Stradlin had left the band (although they still retained a royalty interest in master recordings created under the original 1986 agreement during their tenure in the band.)

Board footer