You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: Which do you feel is most likley

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Sky Dog wrote:

personally, I don't see DJ as "marketable" at all...just the opposite. His image is WAY to generic 1980's cock rock. The twist is that he can play, he seems like a good guy, and his bandmates seem to like him. So, I will roll with what we have.

johndivney wrote:

the problem isn't the fans, it's the confused vision of what GnR is meant to be that is the issue. how can people get behind something that doesn't even know what it wants to be, to present, other than the generic "kick-ass rock show" nonsense.

it WAS weird seeing BH & Finck dressed as a transvestite robot playing classic classic rock while it WOULD BE weird seeing Ron & DJ play the esoteric avant-rock of CD if Axl could manage to sing along - & it's WEIRD seeing DJ ape a whole host of cliche's already associated w/GnR's most beloved guitarist.
i do agree it's hard to find a solution to satisfy everyone - Finck did wreck the classic solo's while BH didn't need to do his breakdancing at a GnR gig/ DJ doesn't need to do the cigarette thing etc. Ron doesn't have the tone or play loudly enough.

all this could be put to bed if Axl could make a decision & stick to it. within a reasonable timeframe, of course.
but he seems happy in this touring timefreeze. until it comes crashing down & he wakens to find a 50yr old avuncular tubby guy reflecting in the mirror.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

like russ said everyone should just stick with what they feel as an individual. there was definitely some trending bandwagon jumping as the new gnr attempted to become accepted over the years. I feel like the process has run it's course now. some people will never accept anything other than slash. others needed some time and are now willing to accept new players based on their own merits. doesn't mean they have the same preferences but as a whole axl has managed to assemble a solid band and plug in qualified musicians as pieces have fallen out along the way.  the majority of fans know without a doubt that this is not the original band and a lot of them are willing to enjoy the ride.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:
russtcb wrote:
Olorin wrote:
russtcb wrote:

It's not someone it's the same people. These boards have been visited by the same people for years. And what Axlin is saying is right when applied to the GNR Forum Fan Base as a whole.

Who, name names then. Dont gimmie that "people" argument, cause its worthless. Specific members here just gave their opinion on the state of play today, and it was just cast aside by Mr ID and Axlin because "people" in the past said something different. To me thats a worthless argument.

Just sayin 19

Look. I don't catalog posts by users so I have them for back up in a future argument.

If you think there wasn't a HUGE amount of the GN'R online fan base complaining up a storm from 01 - 07 because Robin and / or Bucket looked way too different from Slash, or played the material far too different from Slash then you're just plain kidding yourself into trying to make your point.

Here's my thing; I like what I like and I don't care what the popular vote was at any given time. So when Axlin makes a generalizing statement like "GN'R fans", I can see that he's talking about the majority of the fan base and not just me. My personal guitarist opinion history goes like this:

Bucket- amazing playing, horrible image. Too off putting for the average GN'R fan
Ron- Average image, easily accessible both in look and personality, amazing playing
Robin- Incredible playing, very off putting look in 01/02, bad ass look in 06/07 and even better playing
DJ- Terrible look (IMO) but extremely marketable and accessible to a lot of fans. Pretty good playing (except the horror of TIL).

If you were to go back and do some sort of research on my post history, you'll find exactly that. And I firmly believe that if you wasted a bunch of time and energy to do the same on several other posters here, htgth or mygnr, you'd find Axlin to be right.

I get what they are implying, I just think it is weak to mockingly disregard someones opinion with such a vague counter argument in an attempt to devalue what they said.
I dont care what anyone else thinks or thought, I'm my own person with my own views, and I know I'm not the only one who feels that way. Its unfair to disregard someone in a discussion and generalise them with vague sweeping statements about other people.

Lomax wrote:

They are also likely to use their time in Ireland to rehearse songs for an anticipated follow-up to their last album Chinese Democracy which took 13 years to complete. “The band like Ireland, they like playing here,” Desmond added. “I think he’s going to come back and deliver an 11 out of 10 show.”

BOOOOOOM

Source: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire … tml?via=mr

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Funny it never struck me as odd when the new line up emerged, I knew it was new people in the band and it was a whole new decade we were in so I just got on board regardless of what they looked like. What pulled me in was the apparant goal of reinventing GNR with new players and new music, I thought it was awesome.
Now that dream is gone and I'm just a wee bit bored of them, I've accepted now they are pretty much a nostalgia act, hoping for anything else more creative and original from them is kinda silly to me now, but hey it might happen one day and if it does, cooly wooly. I'll definently check them out if they play near me this year, hearing Axl singing your favourite songs live and in the flesh is priceless.

*Goddamn this thread is slow to load.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
Bono wrote:
Ali wrote:
smoke wrote:

"Nothing to suggest that" and "definitive proof" are totally different things. Someone as supposedly prolific (though secretive) as Axl with his level of output could easily lead someone to ponder if he's tapped out.

I don't think so (yet), and certainly don't hope so, but it isn't at all ludicrous and the thought is certainly not snatched out of thin air. It's one of many potential conclusions whose internal logic is totally sound.

O.k. then let me try it one more time:  whether or not any fan has heard music means jack shit.  It doesn't suggest one way or another whether or not an artist is creative, just whether or not an artist's creation is deemed worthy of being packaged into a product for sale to public.  The public would be the last ones to hear an artist's creation, if ever (look at Smile for example).  I never said it was ludicrous, either.  Just that it's always possible that someone could suddenly run dry creatively, and as we are the last ones to be in a position to determine that, what's the point in this speculation when no answer can come of it?  Is it possible?  Yes, it's always possible  The lack of music being released does not answer the question, so what more really needs to be said on the subject.

Ali

What's the point in speculation? Seriously Ali get off it.  You said there's no reaosn to suggest it now here you are saying yes it's possible but to speculate anything is pointless. If we can't speculate what the fuck is the point of a Guns N' Roses discussion board? FACT is there's just as much reason to suggest Axl's creative juices have run dry as there are to suggest he's over flowing with creativity at this very moment. The difference is you'll go to any length to support the side that defends Axl Rose and you'll go to any length to disqualify a position that doesn't paint him in bright white light.  To even begin to say "nothing suggests this" is ludicrous. There's nothing wrong with acknowldeging BOTH sides to something we are SPECULATING on.

There is nothing to suggest that Axl's creative juices have run dry at this time.  That means there is no evidence for it.  As I said, the release of music is not the right metric for that.  Is it theoretically possible?  Yes.  Is there any evidence for it at this time?  No, not at all.  Again, the lack of release of music is not proof of its non-existence.  Music can be written, but never released.  So, can you point to some metric that says, yes, Axl isn't writing music?  I can't.  Maybe If I shadowed the guy every day, I could say that, but none of us do.  Or, if he had come out and said "I have writer's block", but again, that hasn't happened. 

So, absent any evidence to the contrary, I don't see anything to suggest that Axl is any less (or more) creative than he has been in the past.

Ultimately, as we are not part of the inner circle, we'll never know for sure if Axl spends any time currently creating.  So, I don't see the point in pointing out and asking the unanswerable question.  That's why I think it's pointless.

And, you mistake my saying that there is no evidence to suggest Axl is "tapped out" creatively as saying what you're suggesting is impossible.

Ali

johndivney wrote:
Riad wrote:

They are also likely to use their time in Ireland to rehearse songs for an anticipated follow-up to their last album Chinese Democracy which took 13 years to complete. “The band like Ireland, they like playing here,” Desmond added. “I think he’s going to come back and deliver an 11 out of 10 show.”

BOOOOOOM

Source: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire … tml?via=mr

GREAT NEWS if true
still need to get my ticket for this. tho @ 70 clams my attendance is doubtful.

move rehearsals & practice to Ireland could be a beneficial move, away from distractions of LA.

if they wanted tho, i could hook them up w/some distractions once they get over here.... anyone got fernando's mob#??

Board footer