You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Nfl Draft - Free Agency

misterID wrote:

This is one of my favorite times. Talk about who you think goes where, who needs who, who's the best fit for what team here.

And to complain 16

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Eagles need a LB or a Safety in the first & second round picks.  Having said that they'll either draft an OL, or let DeSean Jackson go & draft a crappy WR who's a bust to replace him.

DeSeans gonna be interesting.  Either franchise tag him & pay him top 5 money, which seems a little high, or let him walk.  Wouldn't surprise me if Wah or Dallas pay him big bucks.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

A look at all 32 teams needs, from a NE Patriot draft website.

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2012/02/ … um=twitter

And an in depth look at who this guy thinks the Patriots should target this off-season.

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2012/02/ … um=twitter

misterID

misterID wrote:

That's a good site ^^

Michael Griffin, safety for the Titans, is going to be a big free agent. Philly will probably make a play for him, but I think Dallas has a good shot at him, seeing he's from Texas and Jerry will spend the money for him.

But I really, really hope the Dolphins land Peyton Manning. That way we can jump up in the draft and make a play for Justin Blackmon. Or at least Dwayne Allen.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
misterID wrote:

That's a good site ^^

Michael Griffin, safety for the Titans, is going to be a big free agent. Philly will probably make a play for him, but I think Dallas has a good shot at him, seeing he's from Texas and Jerry will spend the money for him.

But I really, really hope the Dolphins land Peyton Manning. That way we can jump up in the draft and make a play for Justin Blackmon. Or at least Dwight Allen.

Buyer beware on Griffin.  He is a good pass coverage safety but he is inconsistent and soft against the run.  He'll probably get overpaid I think there is a slight chance that Tennessee franchises him.  But I hope not since I'm sick of his half assed tackling.  I wouldn't be suprised if he signs with the Rams and Jeff Fisher.

The free agent that you want to get from the Titans is Cortland Finnegan.  He had a great year last year and should get Johnathan Joseph money.  The Titans won't resign him.  The Rams (again) and the Lions or Falcons look like good landing spots.

The Titans will spend a bunch of cash on a DE.  I'm hoping that Mario Williams hits the market and they pay him whatever he wants.  I could see that happening since they've said a priority is improving the front seven.  That and Bud Adams would open up the wallet to sign a player away from the Texans.  Cliff Avril from the Lions would be plan B if Williams stays with the Texans.

Titans also need a S as well.  Tyvon Branch would be interesting but he might get franchised by the Raiders.  Laron Landry is another S but he has refused to get his Achilles operated on for 2 years.

Manning would best fit with the Dolphins or Cardinals.  Dolphins actually have the best combo (OL, WR, and RB) but the Cards play indoors.  Wherever Manning signs will start the QB domino effect.

No one has mentioned Carl Nicks.  The pro bowl G from the Saints who'll probably hit the market.  He'll make a shitload of money in the first few days.  The Redskins (as usual ) figure to be interested and the Falcons too.

As for Desean, he is definitely replaceable by the Eagles.  The guy will probably get overpaid and he isn't a #1 WR.  There were many games the past few years where he just didn't show up.  Couple that with his attitude problem, and I'd be happy for him to sign elsewhere.

Saints might get ravaged by FA.  Brees, Nicks, Colston, Meachem and Porter (a decent CB) are all UFA.  They'll probably lose Meachem and Nicks.  Brees will either sign a long term deal or get tagged.  If Colston is smart he reups with the Saints, he fits their system really well.

I think the Jags will spend a lot of money and sign a WR.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

NFL salary cap projections for 2012 season
by: Omar Kelly February 6th, 2012 | 5:24 PM

Understanding the NFL’s salary cap isn’t easy, which is why every team has a capologist to crunch the numbers.

Placing the franchise tag on Paul Soliai again would eat up all of the Dolphins' cap space.

However, being able to understand your budget is important when it comes to knowing what economic lane you or your favorite NFL team fits in.

Some of us are ballers, and some of us are bargain shoppers. The same applies for NFL clubs heading into 2012 free agency. The Miami Dolphins are stuck somewhere in-between.

Here’s February’s look at where every NFL team stands from an NFL salary cap standpoint headed into the free agent signing period, which begins on March 13 for players who aren’t cut before then.

SLOW DOWN!!!!!!!!

Before you dive into these numbers, and begin the speculation of what’s to come, it is VERY important that we point out a couple of issues.

First, the salary cap in 2011 was $120,375,000 soft, with teams having the flexibility to borrow $3 million from future years. That means the real cap was $123,375,000.

The salary cap for 2012 has not been set, but it is projected to be between $121-125 million, with teams being able to borrow another $2 million from future caps. Therefore, we’ll safely project the salary cap to be at $124 million in ’12. But please understand this is an estimation.

Second, keep in mind that teams must preserve at least $5 million to sign their rookie class. The more picks, the more cap space needed.

Third, understand that players and their salaries can be purged, or restructured to create salary cap space. However, guessing who that player might be is always risky, and complicated.

Finally, any player given the franchise tag receivers a guarantee of his annual salary, which is an average of the NFL’s top five players at his position.

So, last year Dolphins nose tackle Paul Soliai’s salary of $12.47 million was guaranteed fully, which means every dime of it comes off the books that season. A player tagged a second season receives a 20 percent raise, so if Soliai was tagged again he’d earn a salary of $15 million in 2012 (which is why he likely won’t be tagged again in 2012).

Now….here’s a look at the numbers, and the teams are broken up in three categories, which are explained.

POSSIBLE BIG SPENDERS

Teams that have the cap space to make big moves in free agency.

Cincinnati Bengals            $80,641,237

Tennessee Titans             $92,739,765

Washington Redskins     $94,351,284

Kansas City Chiefs            $95,844,195

Tampa Bay Buccaneers  $98,899,458

Atlanta Falcons                 $100,227,174

Denver Broncos                $101,389,121

New England Patriots     $101,827,381

Chicago Bears                    $101,887,741

San Francisco 49ers         $102,938,980

Cleveland Browns            $103,789,162

WORKING ON A BUDGET

Teams that aren’t up against the cap, but need to make smart moves to avoid trimming a ton of players and salaries.

Jacksonville Jaguars        $107,270,274

Buffalo Bills                         $108,426,522

Seattle Seahawks              $111,742,430

San Diego Chargers         $111,960,165

New Orleans Saints         $113,358,069

Philadelphia Eagles          $113,964,694

Baltimore Ravens             $115,670,281

Minnesota Vikings           $116,078,422

Houston Texans                 $116,306,676

Miami Dolphins                 $116,636,173

Indianapolis Colts             $116,773,288

Green Bay Packers            $118,001,169

Arizona Cardinals             $118,787,639

TIGHTENING THE BELT

Teams that will be at, or over the projected salary cap once they’ve signed the rookie class. These teams must purge their roster moving forward. The higher the cap number, the more drastic the cut backs need to be.

St. Louis Rams                   $120,982,904

Detroit Lions                      $122,760,121

New York Giants              $124,735,807

New York Jets                   $128,092,733

Dallas Cowboys                 $128,910,735

Carolina Panthers            $129,962,768

Oakland Raiders               $140,861,316

Pittsburgh Steelers         $149,885,537

After taking a look at the early numbers my hope is you’ll understand why the Dolphins can’t do it big in free agency right now (quarterback upgrade is team owner Steve Ross‘ priority, then discount shopping from bargains) without restructuring plenty of contracts, or cutting a few high profile players.

Also, keep in mind the free agent class will get enhanced over the next few weeks as teams try to get their books in order. Those players can sign with a new team immediately, but keep in mind they are usually damaged goods (injury history, declining play, problematic personalities, etc.).

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_fo … eason.html

Yup the Redskins will definitely spend this year.  The Niners and Bears definitely have the cash to get a WR (Vincent Jackson, maybe).  Detroit's is somewhat misleading as Calvin Johnson is scheduled to make 22 million this year.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Great posts!

The 49ers have a TON of players they need to resign before they hit free agency, so their cap space is actually pretty small and need to rely on the draft.

Oakland is always in trouble, but Al always had ways around it, now that he's not there...

Manning has said he'd restructure his contract and load it up with incentives to go to a good team, so Miami still has a shot. But they do need to cut players that are making a ton of mney and aren't even on the field. Either trade Philip Merling or cut him already.

I've heard the Falcons might let Brent Grimes go. The Titans should look at him if Finnegan leaves for the Rams.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
misterID wrote:

That's a good site ^^

But I really, really hope the Dolphins land Peyton Manning. That way we can jump up in the draft and make a play for Justin Blackmon. Or at least Dwayne Allen.

Don't know if you found it, but there's one for the Dolphins too.

http://www.miamidolphinsdraft.com/

And the Bills

http://www.buffalobillsdraft.com/

misterID

misterID wrote:

There's just no way Wes Welker is going anywhere.

Vincent Jackson is going to be very interesting, though.

49ers should target WR Alshon Jeffery in the draft. I don't care if he isn't a speedster, the dude catches everything. And he's a big target.

Board footer