You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: All Original GUNS Members Will Be At ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME

misterID wrote:

Nobody heard ISE on the radio. No one saw the ISE video.

I was there in 1987, I remember when Jungle premiered on MTV.  Jungle was the FIRST introduction to the viewing and listening public. SCOM came afterwards.

Of course SCOM was huge and what broke them out. But that was not the first impression of GUNS. SCOM was more popular.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
misterID wrote:

Nobody heard ISE on the radio. No one saw the ISE video.

I was there in 1987, I remember when Jungle premiered on MTV.  Jungle was the FIRST introduction to the viewing and listening public. SCOM came afterwards.

Of course SCOM was huge and what broke them out. But that was not the first impression of GUNS. SCOM was more popular.

MTV didn't even exist in other parts of the world. That's why I disagreed about your comment on their introduction to the world. It was their introduction to the U.S., although at the time cable TV was nowhere near widespread enough to leave the same fingerprint as big time radio success. They weren't formally introduced on the world stage until SCOM's crossover success on the radio.

BTW, this discussion of Jungle just makes me mad about CD being the set opener right now. Fuck you Axl! 16 Jungle is the perfect set opener. Can't think of anything better than that, especially with the "you know where you are" opening. It's iconic. Only band opener that I would say is even close is, "Hello, I'm Johnny Cash." But I don't think he played the same song to open every night. The brilliance of Axl's opening scream is that it ties in with the song. What's funny is I doubt they consciously thought about the live aspect of the song while they were writing it. Hell, in the early years they didn't even use it as the set opener.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

had they released scom first it would've been the same result. it took them about a year after appetite came out for the world to really embrace them.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

They re-released jungle after scom iirc....

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

They re-released jungle after scom iirc....

Yep, and it was huge. Like Axl said, they kept trying to shove it down the public's throat for a year before it finally caught on and the only reason it caught on was because Sweet Child broke through. People in the general public realized at that point it was a band worth paying attention to. As Axlin12 has said on here, I think a vast majority of the GN'R fanbase back in the day were just bandwagoners. Makes me wonder how many of them bought Appetite and never even bothered listening to the likes of Brownstone or Rocket Queen. All they care about is tracks 1, 6, and 9.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

We were arguing about apples and oranges; ISE was technically the first single, but it was not the song the majority of people were exposed to GN'R for the first time, whether in the US or around the world.  It just wasn't.

Jungle was put on late at night on MTV and ON IT'S OWN became highly requested before SCOM. After SCOM it did get more airplay on the radio, but Jungle was the first thing most people saw and heard. SCOM was by far more popular, not arguing that. But it was a big deal that the band who did Jungle did this cool love song.

Jungle is what defined their image.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

i remember when appetite came out. i was 11. got the tape. loved the whole album. i asked my sister's boyfriend if he liked it - he was a big role model for me. he said "it only has like one good song on it". scom im guessing he meant. dumb ass. i knew more about music at 11 than he did at 17.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

U have to take into account, Better is 4 years old roughly.. PC is 25 years old roughly... I mean songs have a way of annoying u a bit after 25 years.

my GF hates WTTJ,PC and SCOM just cause they are so over played. So u gotta take that into account also with list.

I didn't do a personal top 10 for the record. Was going by what i felt general public would prob choose as top 10 or the 10 most important GNR songs for their legacy etc.

If i were burning a CD of 10 songs for a friend who never heard of GNR.. That would prob be the playlist

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

My personal top 10 would look something like:

1.Estranged
2.Coma
3.Rocket Queen
4.SCOM
5.WTTJ
6.Nightrain
7.November Rain