You are not logged in. Please register or login.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: RRHoF Discussion (Izzy/Slash/Axl Press Statements)

tejastech08 wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

The double standards are great on both sides of the fence.

Some say the RRHOF lineup was not the 'Real' GNR, just a bunch of people who used to play in the band.

Just like those who think Axl should have specific people in the lineup to justify the GNR name.

And I can tell you one thing. Somewhere right now, Axl is eating up all this clamoring and attention towards him. He's still the bad boy, the pillar of integrity, and whatever justifications the biggest nutswingers around (yes, you, Fernando) can come up with. 

And who gives a toss?

They may reunite one day, but I would've been surprised to see it happen in Cleveland. You put an inch of pressure on Axl, he'll walk away and have you fired. When he needs the last payday, he'll do it - and the rest will follow, aside Izzy, perhaps.

Just how it goes.

If Axl is there, Izzy will be there. Izzy made it pretty clear in his statement he was waiting to see if there would be a full reunion. Once Axl released a statement saying he wouldn't go, Izzy decided not to do it. As far as paydays are concerned, I don't think Axl will ever need it and thus a reunion will never happen.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Possible, that.

Feeling cheated?

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

Possible, that.

Feeling cheated?

Am I feeling cheating? To an extent, yes. I would have preferred Izzy and Duff singing songs they wrote/sang 20+ years ago instead of Myles once again doing a lame version of Mr. Brownstone. But the band kicked ass and Myles did a pretty solid job on SCOM/PC. I'm very happy for Steven that he got a chance to play with Slash and Duff.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Easy with Duff on vocals would of been great! But he was singing some backup on the songs; so that's just fine with me.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Axl and Slash will bury the hatchet the day Buzz and Ali do. Not going to give in, just standing their ground, waiting for the other guy to admit their wrong. Just times that by 16 years 16

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

Has to be said, well played Axl at a no show.  He is still trending on G+ since weekend.  Well played sir.  Well played.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
killingvector wrote:

The record label recouped their cash at the expense of total units sold.

If Axl wants to release another album, the label will not push him away.

That's one theory.  If that was really the case, then there's nothing to negotiate and an album would have been out already...if Axl REALLY wanted to release an album.  He's under contract.  What's he trying to renegotiate with the label?

My guess is they essentially have already recouped for the recording costs - (minus mixing mastering and some small sessions to add remaining DJ lines or whatever). But what exists to negotiate is how much the label should spend for Promotion and Release of CD2.

Promotion is often a sticking point. Artist will want them to spend a lot - afterall what the hell is the label for if not pushing the products you make - but the labels make their money from the successful releases that fund the non-successful one's they've made. They will be cautious about over spending on advertising and packaging and so on for a product that's not mainstream sound or genre, and is not even the "real" version of what it's named as, and for a product that is the sequel to an album that sold modestly in some markets because it was not promoted by the artists involved. That's some red flags if you work at a laebel and keeping your job means everything you choose has to make a profit.

That said. Given the industry ponies up and releases stuff like Buckcherry albums - or debut albums from lower level rock bands - it's logical that the issues above will not totally inhibit them from a release at all...as there's a minimum number of units any GNR branded album would move - real band or not - but I can see them getting cheap about it to maximise their win.

So yeah...I think there's quite a lot to renegotiate with the label unfortunately. The question is - would Axl make concessions (label spends less money etc) or would he exercise his stuborn streel for another decade? The recent successful tours are in his favour to demonstrate their is still interest in his product.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Neemo wrote:

you'd figure that someoen who has been a musician for life would accept a R&RHOF induction and embrace it as a culmination of his life's work

sad and unfortunate that only 3/5ths of the band showed...hell at least 4 of them showed up at the adlers appetite AFD 20th anniversary bash

Totally agree.

It's the reason I'm pissed with Izzy over it to be honest.

Axl not going was fucked, but in his defence, given his anger at slash, his rebuilding of the new band and his affirmed goal to die before a reunion - he was kind of painted into a corner by other people and has good reason to act like he did from his point of view and his interests.

But there's really no good reason Izzy couldn't have come and jammed with Slash and Adler and Duff. It's just fucked up and in a way devalues the  event more than anything.

the FULL old GNR playing without Axl would have been acceptable because we've always known Axl was trouble...but damn...make us listen to 3/5 of GNR for no reason...way to be ungrateful Izzy. He gets to be a travelling nomad because the public loved his works - wouldn't
have hurt him to give something back by showing up once.

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

Axlin12 wrote:
killingvector wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

They let them rot for 14 years.

Actually they didn't. They squeezed a GH package out of them to balance their expense sheets, then cut off Axl to force him to piss or get off the pot.

It worked. The record label recouped their cash at the expense of total units sold.

If Axl wants to release another album, the label will not push him away.

Well then you are officially blaming Axl for the lack of current music?

Because according to Axl & the band, it's all the label holding it up.

I have been very critical of Axl for forging ahead with this tour as it visits the same locations for the second, third time with no new music in tow.

He should be focused on getting something out there and running around the world three times.

There will be issues with the label, but there is enough negotiating room on each side to get something done. And no exclusives and no Azoff this time.

btw, this thread has finally teetered over the edge. Some posters must get their G&R history from Wikipedia.

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

monkeychow wrote:

Axl not going was fucked, but in his defence, given his anger at slash, his rebuilding of the new band and his affirmed goal to die before a reunion - he was kind of painted into a corner by other people and has good reason to act like he did from his point of view and his interests.

Thank you.

We officially have common ground.

Board footer