You are not logged in. Please register or login.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

Re: 2011-2012 NHL Season

slashsfro wrote:

I watched most of the game which is a surprise for me since I don't normally watch hockey at all.  It was a pretty good game.  I was rooting for the Kings as well.  I thought the Kings had better shots in the 3rd period and out played the Devils during that frame but it was still tied.  The Devils had more chances in OT and I thought they were gonna win but all it took was one sweet pass and Kopitar scores the GW in OT.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

Ok so obviously with Brodeur in the finals again the whole debate comes up about who's the best goaltender of all time. The majority of the time the debate will center on Roy vs Brodeur. Now being a  big Roy fan I've had to hear a lot of shit the last few years since Brodeur passed Roy in regular season wins. Yes that's a nice little stat to have and it does play a  factor in this debate. However my arguement always boils down to winning when it matters most. To be honest I've had this debate so many times and in my opinion the arguement for Roy makes it impossible for Brodeur to come out on top. Sad thing is most people don't wana hear it they just want to  label Brodeur best ever. They turn a blind eye to a LOT of things. Most noteably the fact that Roy built his entire legend basically on playoff performances. He's arguably the greatest playoff performer ever and is the only player ever to win 3 Conn Smythe awards for playoff MVP. Brodeur by the way has never won that award. Ever. In fact Brodeur has up untill this year developed a reputation over the last 8 years as a playoff choker or at the very least a playoff underachiver. That was never the case with Roy.

Anyways I was wondering tonight after the Kings won again in overtime what the career playoff overtime records of Roy and Brodeur are. Now if you're one of those who believe Brodeur is the best ever and Roy's reputation for being the greatest clutch goalie ever is overrated you might not wanna  continue on, but I found this very interesting. Basically this is one of many, many reasons why Brodeur's regular season records do not automatically garner him the title of Greatest Goalie of All time.  In my opinion that still goes to Roy because as you'll see when the games matter most and everything is on the line one guy is far suprerior than the other. At least when it comes to winning and after all isn't that what it's all about?

Career Playoff Overtime Record:
Patrick Roy: 40 - 18
Martin Brodeur: 12 - 21

Stanley Cup Finals Overtime Record:
Patrick Roy: 6 - 0
Martin Brodeur: 1 - 5

There's a pretty glaring difference when it comes to being clutch.

Bono

Bono wrote:

The Kings are the first team ever to have a 3-0 series lead in all four rounds of the playoffs. I hope they finish it off on Wednesday so they can win it at home in  front of their fans.  The only question left is will they repeat next year. My god they look solid and Quick is incredible.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

No way they repeat next year.

How bad for the NHL is this year's Cup? It must be pretty awful, because I'm a big hockey fan from a loyal market who would right now much rather watch Spurs/Thunder and Celtics/Heat than any hockey series since the second round. It's bad enough for the NHL that they have Jersey in the Finals, now they have a second consecutive season where the Cup winner won't be among the most talented, exciting, or successful regular season teams.

And Jersey, 2 goals in 11 periods?? Come on!

Bono

Bono wrote:
Communist China wrote:

No way they repeat next year.

How bad for the NHL is this year's Cup? It must be pretty awful, because I'm a big hockey fan from a loyal market who would right now much rather watch Spurs/Thunder and Celtics/Heat than any hockey series since the second round. It's bad enough for the NHL that they have Jersey in the Finals, now they have a second consecutive season where the Cup winner won't be among the most talented, exciting, or successful regular season teams.

And Jersey, 2 goals in 11 periods?? Come on!

WTF? Dude at the start of the season my pick to win the Cup was the Kings. They are incredibly talented with an unreal goalie. The team underachieved all year long. I didn't pick them at the sart of playoffs but them being in the finals is in no way shape or form a surprise.  Having LA in the finals is a dream for the league. Having New Jersey in the finals fucking blows. They ruined the playoffs twice. First when they beat out Philly and then again when they beat out New York. New York vs LA is the dream final for the league.

As far as the hockey goes it's beena  great fianls. Hard hitting, fast paced, brilliant goaltending.

Also dude to say "No way they repeat next year" is a bold statement. tell me a  team that looks better poised to win it next year than LA? repeating si no doubt incredibly difficult but given the makeup of the KIngs team they are without a doubt the early favorites to win it again next year. Will be interesting to see what detroit does in free agency to challenge but other than detroit no teamint eh west should be able to challenge the Kings and who in the east can? LA = Big, Talented offensively, amazing defensively & they have great goaltending.

As for this being the 2nd season ina  row where the team who wins the Cup isn't amoung the most talented, exciting or successful regular season teams well that's bullshit. Boston was the top seed in the east last year dude. They won the Cup and they have talent and were exciting to watch. The Kings didn't have a great regular season but they are in fact loaded with talent AND they are fun to watch. 

Honestly I have no idea what you are talking about.

Communist China

Let's see: They barely made the playoffs, beat a reliable choker and a worn down team from last year's Cup run in Vancouver. After that, they beat St. Louis and Phoenix. Wow, riveting. Those teams haven't been competitive since well before the lockout.

And now Jersey. The 4th best team in the Atlantic. Domination in those series with a goalie like Quick is no surprise to me. They haven't played anybody I would describe as an elite or great team. Maybe other people are high on the Canucks but not me.

So Quick has been amazing, the best goalie in the world is a title that changes hands every year. Tim Thomas? Hell, Ryan Miller was called that in 2010 when he was Olympic MVP and Vezina. Mike Smith was amazing this year too. Next year the chances that Quick is the hot goalie in the playoffs versus the field are necessarily slim. After seeing how Boston and Vancouver were beaten down after their Cup run, LA probably faces a similar fatigue, even if it's much less they're still playing the longest and getting the shortest offseason.

And the fact that the goalie matters so much should be a little concerning. There have been times in the playoffs where the Kings have looked really unspectacular in every facet except in net. The only other major sport with such importance on one guy might be NFL Quarterback and again, you have to wonder if the NFL has let things get too far in the direction of QB-protection and pro-passing rule tweaks.

This is the worst Cup since Tampa/Calgary, and after that one they locked out for a year. And when they came back with new rules, the game was way better. It's slowed waaaay down again. I'm not convinced that anything should be done, but I do think it's a bad turn for the NHL in terms of quality entertainment. And it won't sell in the US, whatever that's worth. Nobody in LA paid any attention to the Kings until the Clips and Lakers were done, and now the city with the highest ratings in the US for the Cup games hasn't been LA OR anywhere in Jersey, it's been Buffalo. The rest of the country is watching basketball.

Last summer, the NHL was coming off a great playoffs with a big American market winning. The games were great, and the NBA was headed to a lock-out. It looked like the NHL was due to rise up somewhat, with a new NBC deal as well. And now... the Cup is having its worst ratings since 07, when it was still suffering from the lost momentum from the missing season (and Ana-Ott doesn't sell too well here either). It's not the end of the world that it's receding, but I root for hockey to do well in the US. And these playoffs have been damaging.

Bono

Bono wrote:

haha wow. I almost stoped reading when you said the Kings haven't beat anyone. newsflash dude the Kings beat the President trophy winner's in Vancouver(most experts picked them to make it to the finals again), they beat the 2nd seed in St. Louis who crushed San Jose, they beat Phoenix who beat Nashville who beat Detroit. Don't fucking say the Kings haven't beat anyone. That's stupid. They've crushed everyone who's been put in front of them and they are now crushing New Jersey who beat the Flyers who beat the Penguins and they also beat the rangers who were the best team in the east all year long. Yeah the Kings are going through a  bunch of flakey, flukey, hack teams. Honestly dude.... roll

LA is a BIG market, New Jersey is not(that's the only problem). If you don't like the hockey thats' being played you ain't a hockey fan. 

It's asinine to say these playoffs have been damaging. tell that to the people in California.  Had the Rangers beat New Jersey this would be the all time most watched finals. the Kings are a BIG market but you live in the east so you probably rarely if ever watch them or care. This is a big deal to Kings fans and hockey fans in California no matter how much you  deny it by saying they care more about the Lakers and Clippers. Gee no shit.

Quick is no suprise to anyone who knows hockey so why you're acting like "you knew all along" while the rest of us are surprised is beyond me. He's not a one year wonder and he'll be a great goalie again next year. He IS gonna start for the Americans in 2014. Not Miller. Sorry dude.

Again the Kings were my pick as well as many others to win the Cup at the start of the season. Who gives a fuck if it took them till the last month of the regular season to turn it on. They did and now they are dominating the way a LOT of people thought they would.

It's easy to say they won't repeat cause you're banking on 29 other teams. Wow way to go out ona  limb. The FACT is the Kings are in a great position to repeat, just as Boston was.  The foundation of their team is incredibly solid and they are not in danger of losing anyone in the off season. Just cause you hate the teams in the finals does not make it a shitty final and it does not mean the teams in it are not talented and it does not mean the games are not really entertaining. It does not mean the Kings have fluked their way to the finals. And to say they should be concerned because their goalie has been too important is ridiculous. Goalies are a part of the team. In case you haven't noticed the Kings are actualy scoring goals now too the way everyone thought they would. Imagine if that carries over to next year.

And if the Kings dont' repeat that's fine. You can come in here and say you told me and how smart you were, but the reality is if you were to pick a team right now for next year they are every bit as good a pick as any other team. For you to say there is NO WAY they can do it makes very little sense. They have the makeup to do it again. And they've breezed through the playoff so fatigue isn't a factor. Pretty sure they aren't gonna be wiped out the way Boston and Vancouver were last year, two teams who played multiple 7 game series... Oh and Vancouver looked really wiped out finishing first in the league this year 16 

Not sure what you've been watching but from the sounds of it not much in terms of NHL playoffs. If the Americans don't like it cause the popular teams(detroit, Pittsburgh,Philaldelphia, NYR, Boston, Chicago) aren't in tough fucking shit. The playoffs have been pretty damn good and anyone who says the Kings have not been impressive either a) doesn't know hockey or b) hasn't watched the Kings outside of sports highlights.

Who in their right mind says the Kings lack talent? 16

Communist China

Last night's game was great, I'll give you that. I'm glad it's gone to 6, but now I'd like to see LA win it at home. Historically laughable franchise, so it's easy to root for them.

Communist China

Congratulations to the LA Kings on their first Stanley Cup! A major market with a largely forgettable history and the longest stretch of years without a Cup victory - hard not to feel good for the fans and the organization.

Bono

Bono wrote:
Communist China wrote:

Congratulations to the LA Kings on their first Stanley Cup! A major market with a largely forgettable history and the longest stretch of years without a Cup victory - hard not to feel good for the fans and the organization.

Actually technically the Maple Leafs had(still have) the longest drought. They won the Cup for the 66-67 season and the Kings joined the league for the 67-68 season. Kings though had the longest drought ever from the time they joined the league till their first championship.

I thought the game was pretty good last night too. Kinda wish it stayed close for a little bit longer. It was basically over 10 minutes in but at least the action held up right till the end.  I think LA winning the Cup is way cooler than when Anaheim won it.

Board footer