You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: When's Album?

Sky Dog wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I love them both so I didn't want to turn it into a pissing contest...end of the day most musicians are unemployed in music...and end up working other jobs...so in the scheme of things they're both very successful...I'm just saying there's reasons Axl may be envious of Slash's ability to transition into a post GNR career.

they are very different people....one loves the attention and the other not so much. One loves to create something and immediately throw it out to the public for mass consumption. One creates and chooses not to automatically throw it out in a public forum. I am willing to bet Axl has just as many ideas and songs as Slash does. However, for whatever fucked up reason, he won't let go of them. As an Axl fan that sucks because you can't guess as to what the public will turn on too. You have to throw it out there and let it sink or swim. All great artists have done that. Sometimes you hit a home run, sometimes you don't. But, you have to have your hat in the ring. I'm confident in his ability but not confident in his judgement. Imagine some of the basic piano tracks he has recorded in demo form with vocals (ala Nov Rain demo). You know they are there, and you know they are amazingly heartfelt and real. Why can't he understand that his raw emotion is what his fans love him for? Why can't he just let things go....:/

johndivney wrote:

Well I'd be willing to bet (a small bet!) that Axl doesn't have that much material.

He does seemingly have a problem letting things go/getting them finished. It seems like every song has to be a mini-opera & that kinda equates to multiple layers & sounds/styles. Basically I think he prefers complicated arrangements at the expensive of plaintive immediate structures (I'm not inferring Slash does this, or that, or anything... says he covering his back from any angsty Slash fans). That inturn saps a lot of his potential output - it doesn't excuse the lack of output tho.

I do believe the lack of output isn't solely lack of confidence, or his songwriting style. Those are minor factors.
I do believe he sacrificed his creativity to play the BS bizness game.
As far as I can tell he seems to value that, that power trip, more than he does writing & releasing music people get off on.

He won't let go of anything because it gives him a stronger negotiating position for whatever petty bizness shit he has going on/in his paranoid head.

johndivney wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I love them both

I dislike them both. They wrecked my favourite band. I will never forgive them!

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I have to agree with Ali here, likability doesn't even go that much into popularity. Marilyn Manson was one of the most hated people on the planet at the height of his popularity. You could say, the more likable he was, the less popular he became. Some people look at Axl as a villain, but he's not out there enough in the media either way to have that big of an opinion, so the average Joe test is kind of meaningless.

Slash is way more likable than Axl. Slash is successful because he's not shooting for anything other than what he's doing. And he's happy at what he's doing. Axl carries the GN'R name, and with that, even though he is more successful than Slash in the terms MSL pointed out, GN'R "today" still comes up short compared to the their history, so that's considered a failure, even though it's not.

*let the insanity begin*

johndivney wrote:

That's p much the definition of failure mate..

Axl needs the brand cause he's too pussy to try w/o it. Too afraid he mite fall into sales figures & have to work as hard as Slash.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Without the Guns N' Roses brand, Axl would be playing in night clubs, sometime around closing time. Name sells. Period.

misterID

misterID wrote:

It's his band, so yeah, he's going to use the name and doesn't have to go solo.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
misterID wrote:

It's his band, so yeah, he's going to use the name and doesn't have to go solo.

You can play your game forever (however I doubt Axl would reward you with backstage passes - update me please if it happens), but Guns N' Roses means much more than Axl Rose. Legally the name is his property, I don't wanna restart the debate about his nasty tricks. He is what he is, we all know that. Anyway. Guns N' Roses represents much more than W. Axl Rose for the world. It wasn't his solo project - now it is. But with the name he stole all the extra value Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven, his ex-partners added to the brand. And that's a LOT. Not Axl Rose wrote Appetite For Destruction, Lies and Use Your Illusion. Guns N' Roses wrote those albums and Axl was only one member of that group. It's a fact, although the Axlist Fundemantalists tries to rewrite history just like Stalinist did back in the day, deleting people and adding others who weren't even there.

Voroshilov%2C_Molotov%2C_Stalin%2C_with_Nikolai_Yezhov.jpg

The_Commissar_Vanishes_2.jpg

This is exactly how Axlites want to erase people from the past who were important and fundemantal to the band's success, who were important and fundemental creators of Guns N' Roses. Just how Nikolai Yezhov 'vanishes' from this picture, Axlites erase Slash and the others from the band's history, with minimalizing their DECIDING efforts. Next time you'll find Paul Tobias in the place of Slash, as the mastermind behind GN'R's success.
Fuck it.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Look at Mikka's head explode... Wow.

Board footer