You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: AXL ROSE Falls On Stage At France's HELLFEST

metallex78 wrote:
Me_Wise_Magic 91 wrote:

At least it's oxygen and not drinking alot of booze on stage! 16

With falls like this one, that's debatable...:haha:

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Yeah! It's a strong possibility! 14 People slip or fall all the time. At least he didn't make a scene after the misstep.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Bono wrote:
russtcb wrote:

I get what you're saying overall. I get it though I disagree with it.

You can disgaree with the performance debate for sure. It's subjective.

The length of the show point I made and how some Gn'R fans use it as a badge of honor is just the truth and you read it on Guns sites all the time including this one. like I said I've never seen fans of other bands cling to that so tightly. They may mention it here and there but not with such pride Guns fans do. I have no idea why Guns fans think it's so incredible Gn'R perform for 2.5-3 hours. I can't help but think fans of other bands though appreciative understand the band is there to deliver and expect it, while Guns fans I guess are just happy the guy even got on stage, thus making a 3 hour show a  bonus 16

Bolded for truth.

Honestly though, I can only comment on what I have experienced firsthand.  Most concerts I have gone to, the main act plays on average for 90 minutes or so.  That's why I think it's quite the treat that GNR puts on a 3 hour show.  I've seen Pearl Jam, and I've always said they're an amazing live band.  They mix up the setlist every night and they sound great live.  No technical glitches or mishaps or anything of the sort.  I've seen Bruce Springsteen and he put me to sleep.  Alright, that's not fair to Bruce.  It was more due to the 18 beers I had before the show that I may have dozed off during his "new shit".  The classic stuff was great.  But other bands that I have seen pale in comparison to GNR when it comes to quantity and quality of the concert.  And again, that's all I, and I'm sure many others can go by.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
faldor wrote:

"he's washed up and past his prime for performing live" talk is a little overblown.

Washed up as a live performer is overblown. Saying he's past his prime is the flat out truth. Singers in rock bands who are in their 50's are past their prime. I'd look like an absolute clown if I denied that Bono was past his prime as a live performer. He's still great but he's not performing vocally the way he was in the late 80's or even early 90's.  Axl is past his prime as a live performer that's just being honest. Not sure why people would deny it.

As for the solos and stuff it's an easy fix unless of course Axl is really that winded he needs oxygen.

Instead of each guitar player getting a  five minute solo  trim that shit to an 8 minute spot where each guy gets to shine. Compose something together as a group and then perform it with each guy getting a solo spot within the composition they've created together.

Having 3 seperate solos and then band jams and piano solos is so overboard. I'm positive the casual fan would tell you the same. Great show too many "pointless" solos that kill the momentum.

Also Frank needs to stop forcing the GUNS N' ROSES chant so often. That's pretty old.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:
Bono wrote:

Instead of each guitar player getting a  five minute solo  trim that shit to an 8 minute spot where each guy gets to shine. Compose something together as a group and then perform it with each guy getting a solo spot within the composition they've created together..

That's a good idea, get them to do like a duelling guitars type of thing or something.  Im sure they could compose something cool like that.

As for being past his prime vocally, sadly that's probably a vocalists lot.  As you said as they get older their voice often doesn't hold up quite as well as in their youth.

Unlike say a guitarist that can get better with age (more experience etc), the vocalists "instrument" often starts to let them down.  Nobody's fault, just the sad fact of ageing.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

breathing too much o2 can also get u high, so maybe it makes him a bit dizzy at times.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

Ax should just do 100 minute sets of 22 songs:

5 AFD

2 from the EP

5 UYI 1

5 UYI 2

5 CD

Off.

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
russtcb wrote:
Bono wrote:
russtcb wrote:

I continue to say that Axl puts on an above average performance. Never said anything specific to singing, never said anything specific to average length of show.

And of course you're obviously welcome to put whatever stock you like into Ticketmaster.

That's fine. Though singing ability and length of show plays into the performance. Singing is objective(even though I don't fully buy Ali's opinion that Axl sounds great all the time regardles of his tone be it raspy or clean) but length of show is a number and I find it funny that Gn'R fans bring that up as a badge of honor. I've never seen fans of other bands brag about the length of the show the way Guns fans do. It's almost like an insecurity and they're compensating for somehting."At least they play for 2.5-3 hours" You know what I mean? It's not that special. They have the catelogue to do it and so they should and do. It's not anything to be proud about in my opinion. If anything it'd be a disgrace if they didn't.

I would say Axl gets is fortunate to coast on his presence. I can't deny he has presence even in 2012 but his performances in my opinion are not above average especially when compared to people from or near his era. His band is amazing as hell though. I have to be honest Axl to me is the weak link in Gn'R in 2012 and has been for quite some time.

I get what you're saying overall. I get it though I disagree with it.

Same here.

But, I never, ever said he sounds "great all the time".  That isn't a twisting of my words.  That's a complete mangling of them.  I said I like his cleaner vocal tone and prefer that tone overall.

Ali

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Ali wrote:

Same here.

But, I never, ever said he sounds "great all the time".  That isn't a twisting of my words.  That's a complete mangling of them.  I said I like his cleaner vocal tone and prefer that tone overall.

Ali

16 You're hilarious. I never said you said that as in a  direct quote. It is obvious that is  your "opinion" though as you've NEVER said he doesn't sound great. You in fact did say he sounded great in that clip. Whatever tone  Axl sings in you always think he sounds great regardless of what tone you prefer. Figure it out dude and stop playing the role of Axl's defence attorny cause you blow at it.

Ali wrote:

I think the cleaner vocal tone sounded great there, especially on a song like SCOM.

Ali

He'll also sound great with rasp and helium and shortness of breath etc etc etc.

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
Bono wrote:
Ali wrote:

Same here.

Ali

16 You're hilarious. I never said you said that as in a  direct quote. It is obvious that is  your "opinion" though as you've NEVER said he doesn't sound great. You in fact did say he sounded great in that clip. Whatever tone  Axl sings in you always think he sounds great regardless of what tone you prefer. Figure it out dude and stop playing the role of Axl's defence attorny cause you blow at it.

Ali wrote:

I think the cleaner vocal tone sounded great there, especially on a song like SCOM.

Ali

He'll also sound great with rasp and helium and shortness of breath etc etc etc.

Your definition of the word "obvious" is questionable at best, and in this particular case, it's laughable.  If you only knew the volume of bootlegs from the UYI days that I haven't listened to in well over a decade because I can't stand how Axl sounded during the bulk of that tour 16

Perhaps you should stick to talking about GN'R and U2 instead of telling other people what their opinions and thoughts "obviously" are.  Because, frankly, you "blow" at that.

Ali

Board footer