You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Re: GUNS N' ROSES: Israeli TV Report (Axl drinking shots at a bar)

Naltav wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Naltav wrote:

For those of us that are fans of the current lineup. One of the positive achievements of these last tours may in fact prove to be, that whatever it is that they are gonna do next (new album followed by a tour?), the media and the avarege rock fans are not gonna expect anything but the current lineup!

And you think that is going to help things?  Maybe it's the pessimist in me, but I can only see that hurting things.  IF there is a new album, its reception is going to make CD look like Thriller even if it is the greatest rock album ever made.  People wanted to see what Axl could do without Slash and they saw.  I don't think they're lining up to see what he can do with DJ that he couldn't do with BH.  It will sell to the diehards and that's it.

Well, sounds like you're asuming album-sales matter to me.

I mean positive in the sense that, when GNR comes to town, headlines like "It was only Axl, none of the past members were there!" etc etc, are gonna make you look silly and uninformed.

I want new music for me. I'm past the point where GNR needs to release  platinum selling records in order for me to feel that "I was right" or in some way justify all the years spent following this saga or whatever the fuck... I might have been there at one point. Not anymore.

If the stars align and GNR release a hitselling record, good for them! Makes good promotion for the shows. THAT'S the way the business works these days. That in turn leads to possible future music.
But Axl and GNR are gonna draw a crowd regardless of sales off of the next record. Axl's legacy and the music he performs has proved that during the past twelve(!) years.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Bono wrote:

I'm not bagging on anyone let alone bagging on anyone for posting this but let's be real. the guy is known to party and this shit probably happens way more often then you think. I just dont' find it all that cool. He's out partying in a  club big whoop.  I just find the facination with Axl being in a club kinda odd.  As though it's like seeing a sasquatch or something.

And really this has nothing to do with the "fans" he's in a bar with random people and yes Axl's known to be an asshole but not in this type of setting and he hasn't been a recluse for years now.

I guess if I'm overlooking these things others are putting way too much stock into them.

Just saying I don't see the big deal and I don't find it "cool"  per se

So you wouldn't find it "cool" if you were hanging out at your local watering hole and Axl showed up and did a few shots with you?  Because that's normal, right?  That stuff happens all the time?  Not to me it doesn't.  I think it's just the opposite.  I don't often read about celebrities hanging out with and interacting with fans.  It DOES happen, but I wouldn't say it's frequent.  In fact, I read more about how much of an "asshole" certain celebrities are because they blow off people on the streets or in public.  Now again, I'm sure Axl isn't immune to this either, but from the stories I've read and videos I've seen he's always been gracious taking pictures, signing autographs, telling stories about the old times (Slash), and in this case doing shots with fans. 

No it's not odd that Axl was hanging out at a club, but the fact that he was amongst commoners, that again, I'd say is rare.  Celebrities hang out at clubs all the time, but they're usually secluded to private rooms or tables, surrounded by their entourage.  My aunt and uncle said they saw Axl in the Hard Rock in Vegas a few months back and he had a bevy of beautiful women in tow, but no security or body guards.  That, I think, is kind of cool.

Now again, I'm not saying Axl is the only one to do this and he is a man of the people.  Obviously, for the most part that is far from the case.  I ran into former Dallas Cowboy, 3 time Super Bowl Champ "The Playmaker" Michael Irvin at a strip club a few years back and he was cool as shit.  He sat down with us, bought us all a round of drinks, threw a mess of ones down so the dancers would all come over and do their thing.  Then he took a chosen lady of the night into the backroom for some one on one time.  It was awesome.  But I guess by your standards, that's not really a big deal.  Maybe we just see things differently.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
russtcb wrote:
Me_Wise_Magic 91 wrote:
russtcb wrote:

What you said.

I maintain that if and when they come back to the US, he needs to do this type of thing more often.

A "I partied with Axl" story here and there would go a long way to combat years old "Axl went on a 4am" stories.

That would be quite amusing to hear! Just for the fun of it all!

That's my thing.

Now-a-days (and by that I mean "the last 30 years") everyone on Earth has a story about the time Axl "fucked them over". Be it a late start, a no show, a band member leaving, an album being released (or not), etc etc etc.

It'd be awesome for random folks to be able to post pics of partying with Axl on their fb pages. Then when they "My sisters-brothers-uncles-buddies-mom once said that guy is a fuckhead!" regular old people would be able to say "Oh hell no man! Dude partied with us, was nice and funny as hell!"

I believe I posted this story on here before, so sorry for the repeat but it applies.  I was listening to Eddie Trunk's show awhile back when the GNR US tour was going on and a listener called in to tell a story of how Axl hung out with a bunch of fans after a show.  I want to say it was in Cincinnati, did they play in Cincy?  The guy was a big fan and said he went to the show with his cousin, who had his reservations about going.  But his cousin was completely blown away by the show and he stayed afterwards in the hopes that he'd see some of the band members before they left.  They waited till 4am or so and sure enough Axl walks out and he ended up shooting the shit with fans for an hour or so in the freezing cold no less.  Needless to say, he won a fan over that night out of someone who was previously skeptical to say the least.  Eddie agreed that it was a cool story and it was cool to hear those types of things about rock guys, especially guys like Axl who get such a bad rap.

Of course, to Bono, that's no big deal. tongue

Sky Dog wrote:
faldor wrote:
Bono wrote:

I'm not bagging on anyone let alone bagging on anyone for posting this but let's be real. the guy is known to party and this shit probably happens way more often then you think. I just dont' find it all that cool. He's out partying in a  club big whoop.  I just find the facination with Axl being in a club kinda odd.  As though it's like seeing a sasquatch or something.

And really this has nothing to do with the "fans" he's in a bar with random people and yes Axl's known to be an asshole but not in this type of setting and he hasn't been a recluse for years now.

I guess if I'm overlooking these things others are putting way too much stock into them.

Just saying I don't see the big deal and I don't find it "cool"  per se

So you wouldn't find it "cool" if you were hanging out at your local watering hole and Axl showed up and did a few shots with you?  Because that's normal, right?  That stuff happens all the time?  Not to me it doesn't.  I think it's just the opposite.  I don't often read about celebrities hanging out with and interacting with fans.  It DOES happen, but I wouldn't say it's frequent.  In fact, I read more about how much of an "asshole" certain celebrities are because they blow off people on the streets or in public.  Now again, I'm sure Axl isn't immune to this either, but from the stories I've read and videos I've seen he's always been gracious taking pictures, signing autographs, telling stories about the old times (Slash), and in this case doing shots with fans. 

No it's not odd that Axl was hanging out at a club, but the fact that he was amongst commoners, that again, I'd say is rare.  Celebrities hang out at clubs all the time, but they're usually secluded to private rooms or tables, surrounded by their entourage.  My aunt and uncle said they saw Axl in the Hard Rock in Vegas a few months back and he had a bevy of beautiful women in tow, but no security or body guards.  That, I think, is kind of cool.

Now again, I'm not saying Axl is the only one to do this and he is a man of the people.  Obviously, for the most part that is far from the case.  I ran into former Dallas Cowboy, 3 time Super Bowl Champ "The Playmaker" Michael Irvin at a strip club a few years back and he was cool as shit.  He sat down with us, bought us all a round of drinks, threw a mess of ones down so the dancers would all come over and do their thing.  Then he took a chosen lady of the night into the backroom for some one on one time.  It was awesome.  But I guess by your standards, that's not really a big deal.  Maybe we just see things differently.

The Playmaker is my favorite NFL player of all time! Damn.....:beer:

"Michael, you run that slant or you go back to the ghetto!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2wM6xLK … re=related

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

I gotta say that the time I met him, even tho it was only for a few minutes he seemed like a great guy.  There was only myself and a mate there and we caught him in the hotel lobby after coming back from their days activities (the day after the gig) and he was very friendly, chatty, posed for photos with us and signed a number of things for us.

He was funny and humble, not an arrogant wanker that the media portrays, although I have no doubt he can be.  But then again so can I at times wink

Anyhow, he definitely seemed like the sort of guy that would be interesting and funny to get on the piss with.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I don't think they're lining up to see what he can do with DJ that he couldn't do with BH.  It will sell to the diehards and that's it.

I disagree. I don't think we're headed for UYI era world domination...but I could see a DJ album having hit singles - at least in the rock charts like VR/Slash do.

I'll tell you why. Buckethead is an advante guard guitarist. No one gives a fuck about his music except people who like instrumentals, and people like me who are guitarists and respect the pure insanity of his ability. But it's not approachable for the average listener in any way. Not one of his songs that I've ever heard is anything close to a radio friendly song.

I actually really like some of his music, I'm not pisssing on it, but you're not going to hear Soothsayer follow "You're A Lie" on commercial radio...that's just how it is.

DJ on the other hand is very modern radio rock ready. Almost to the point that it's a fault. To some DJ is a bit of a disturbing clone of Motley mixed with GNR, lacks the originality of a Slash or a Bucket, but the public doesn't see it that way at all. Sixx Am has been very popular...the last album was pumping with radio style riffage.

Bottom line...if the public wants any GNR at this stage...they want Axl and Slash...that aint happening....but Axl with DJ is going to be a damn lot closer to what people want from GNR...than an Axl industrial album with unapproachable bucket experimental guitar tacked over layers of synth effects.

Of course for me personally I'd love to hear CD2 even if it is industrial...but I'm just saying...theoretically...if Axl put his touch on some DJ based songs.....people would like it.

It's like how the modern band is enjoyed by joe public more than the 02 band...because DJ plays the songs closer to slash than robin did. And it would be the same with new songs...DJ is going to more like traditional GNR which is what people want.

skippy
 Rep: 33 

skippy wrote:

My Axl story:

I'm taking a piss.

He comes in with a bodyguard to take a shit.

Joe LeSte (Bang Tango) stumbles in, and looks at my dick while I'm pissing.  Very creepy.

I wash my hands and leave.

skippy
 Rep: 33 

skippy wrote:

Btw, we didn't talk or make eye contact or anything because it was the men's room.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Naltav wrote:

For those of us that are fans of the current lineup. One of the positive achievements of these last tours may in fact prove to be, that whatever it is that they are gonna do next (new album followed by a tour?), the media and the avarege rock fans are not gonna expect anything but the current lineup!

I don't think they're lining up to see what he can do with DJ that he couldn't do with BH.  It will sell to the diehards and that's it.

Seriously, I'd be fine with that. I lost interest in what CD could do chart-wise after 2004. And that goes for any other album. I just want one.

But to be completely honest, I'd be willing to pay a hoarder for all the Buckethead/Finck era songs out there over a new album by this line up.

I mean it, hoarders! bucket

Board footer