You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: Bumblefoot not happy? Speculating....

RussTCB wrote:

removed

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
russtcb wrote:

My opinion: current "management" will never, ever be responsible for new music being released. Ever.

Agreed - I guess I should have been clearer with my post - that is the band of merry men I was referring to, not the band members.

Sky Dog wrote:

Uni has the back catalog whether they drop Axl or not. I just think they believe they can still squeeze a little juice out of the lemon without having to invest hardly anything. Just my gut feeling so....we shall see. I say an album comes out within the next year. That's my story and I am sticking to it!

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
russtcb wrote:

My opinion: current "management" will never, ever be responsible for new music being released. Ever.

Well, I disagree. The Brazil Team's luxury living is based on Axl's income, and even if they're making more money off touring than any possible album now, they'll need a new record to sell the next tours. They just can't sell this same show nostalgia trip anymore in the US and I think that they'll have more and more problems with selling it in Europe, too. The world map is getting smaller and smaller for them.

I'm sure that at one point the Lebeis family will convince both Axl and the label to negotiate a new contract. With more 'Guns N' Roses' albums secured, Uni will release the new stuff till the 'Big Reunion Pay-Off' comes (till hell freezes over) and Axl can tour years with the CD follow-up(s), so he (and his new family) will win time to live their luxury life without being forced into the reunion. GN'R albums will still sell relatively well, based on the name alone, and if next time it's quality music, than that's even better. With a new contract none of them can lose, just win.

(It's another question though if Axl's able to finish any new material in his lifetime, but he still has some old BH/Finck/Tobias stuff in his vault.)

Sky Dog wrote:

thanks Mikka...you said what I wanted to say. Good post.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:

Incompetent people can't renegotiate record contracts; especially when they have nothing to offer.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Uni has the back catalog whether they drop Axl or not. I just think they believe they can still squeeze a little juice out of the lemon without having to invest hardly anything. Just my gut feeling so....we shall see. I say an album comes out within the next year. That's my story and I am sticking to it!

an if gnr releases more albums they are close to completing the contract...until they release those albums anythign with the gnr moniker has to have geffen's blessing

say gnr relases the final 2 albums (or whatever they owe) and then decide to go without a label...then what?

has anyone heard what def leppard is rumored to be doing? rereording and releasing their entire back catalogue on their own, sans  so the band gets 100% royalties from the material (the label still owns the orig stuff)

so we already know axl has re-done AFD....what would stop him from dropping it after leaving uni and then all of a sudden there wont be as much back catolgue sales anymore

just food for thought

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Def Leppard 'forge' old hits to spite their record label

The rock band Def Leppard have gone back to the recording studio to remake some of their best known songs from scratch, in a bid to wrestle control of their back catalogue away from their record label.

The band intend to create "brand new, exact same" versions of their songs, previously released by Universal Music Group, after a dispute with the label over royalties for downloads.

New covers of the band's best-known hits "Pour Some Sugar On Me" and "Rock of Ages" are already available, but frontman Joe Elliott, has admitted that the quintet, now in their fifties, were having trouble emulating their youthful selves.

"When you're at loggerheads with an ex-record label who… is not prepared to pay you a fair amount of money and we have the right to say, 'Well you're not doing it,'" Elliott told Billboard magazine.

"We had to study those songs, I mean, down to the umpteenth degree of detail, and make complete forgeries of them," he added. "But trying to find those sounds… like where am I going to find a 22-year-old voice? I had to sing myself into a certain throat shape to be able to sing that way again."

Re-recording independently of Universal will allow the band greater control of where their songs are sold and used and may secure them artists a bigger share of any proceeds.

Def Leppard are not the first band to go back to the drawing board in a desperate bid for more control.

Squeeze took the drastic step two years ago, also following a dispute with Universal. Simply Red released "updated" versions of their best-known songs after becoming frustrated with their record label's attempts to market them effectively and Prince threatened to re-record his entire back catalogue after clashing with his former record label Warner Brothers, but only released a new arrangement of the hit "1999".

Fans can rest assured that Def Leppard's efforts to clone 25-year-old sounds will not detract from long-awaited new material. The band are touring and hoping to capitalise on the release of the musical Rock of Ages in cinemas, which is named after the Def Leppard song.

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=11898

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
russtcb wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Incompetent people can't renegotiate record contracts; especially when they have nothing to offer.

This.

"Management" can want to get a new album out all they want, but they do not possess any bargaining chips with which to do so.

Now if they can talk Robin into coming back, then they might have something.  big_smile

Board footer