You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bro-mero
 Rep: 23 

Re: Bumblefoot not happy? Speculating....

Bro-mero wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Let's face it, like Morrisson he enjoys the benefits of an early death. Imagine Axl dying in the early 90s. He'd be huge.

Thank You! Ive been saying this for soo long! If Axl died in the 90's, people would be calling Gn'R one of the greatest bands ever assembled

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

russtcb wrote:

Cobain himself used to say he wasn't even the most talented guitar player in Nirvana, he view Grohl as a better guitarist than him.

Oh and Colour and the Shape is crazy over rated. Wasting Light destroys it by a country mile.

I have to agree after listening to Wasting so much! 5 You are damn right!

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

smoke wrote:

Grohl IS better than Cobain. Morbid as it is, I sometimes wonder if Grohl would have ever reached his potential if Kurt hadn't died. And not just The Foos. All of his side projects guesting and producing for others, The Crooked Vultures... Would he have had his fingers in so many pies if Nirvana was an ongoing concern? Don't know.

Dave Grohl is a better performer and he's really come out into his own as a song writer. His drumming has improved and the man can fucking sing. Of course Kurt was a great song writer and recorded some timeless rock songs; but it's Dave's time to shine now. He deserves it. He works hard and puts on huge rock shows for the fans. The Foo Fighters stick to their guns and produce awesome records. Nuff said! cool

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
-D- wrote:
faldor wrote:
-D- wrote:

Revisioniist history at its best

DUDE every radio station was chomping at the bit to play this new GNR song. Played it on the hour every hour

but no one liked it cause it is mediocre so they stopped playing it.

Slash doesn't even have a fucking label and hit number 1.

I never said the song wasn't given a fair shake.  In fact, I've said much the opposite.  I agree that most radio stations and critics alike were fully prepared to accept GNR with open arms when the single/album finally came out.  Evidenced by playing the single every hour on the hour, streaming the album in its entirety before its release, playing songs from the album on Sportcenter and other shows.  I NEVER said anything disputing any of that, but if you want to go ahead and make things up as you go along, be my guest.

The willingness to accept CD was short lived though when Axl refused to come out of hiding.  If HE wasn't willing to fight for it, why should anyone else? 

Slash can succeed with label support because he works his ass off, and he's a tad more likeable than Axl.  Come now, I shouldn't have to explain this. 

If Axl had played the game, CD would've fared better as a single AND an album.  Both did well out of the gate, but they couldn't sustain that level of success due to a variety of factors.  One MAJOR factor was Axl being non existent. 

You can go with your line of thought that the song sucked all you want, but that seems like a very simplistic way of looking at things.

Songs tend to slowly build.  CD sort of did the opposite.  It charted high initially and then began its descent.  Again, if it was worked properly BY AXL, it could have been a different story.

U just made my point. it charted HIGH cause the initial curiosity factor.. people hated it thus the huge descent. Has nothing to do with Axl. if it got a positive reaction, stations would've continued playing it. it didn't, so they stopped. simple really

You just proved MY point.  I didn't say curiosity had no hand in why the song charted high.  Honesty I have no idea how those charts work.  Based on sales?  Radio play?  A combination of both?  Whatever the case may be, obviously the curiosity factor played a role.  And I'll give you that no matter what song they released as the first single it would have done pretty well initially based on the curiosity alone.  I'm not arguing that, despite your jumping to conclusions.  My argument is that without any participation from Axl himself, the label and the general public quickly lost interest.  Now I'm not saying CD had the potential to be a #1 smash hit that would have changed the world.  I would rank it somewhere in the middle of the album in terms of quality, so I'm not sure it deserved to get higher than #4 or whatever it reached.  But do you honestly think if they put a music video out, scheduled a tour to support the album right around its release, did the whole late night circuit thing, did interviews, press, and promo that it wouldn't have made a difference?  I strongly believe that not only would CD had remained on the charts longer but "Better" would've gotten a boost as well and there certainly would have been a 3rd single, and probably more than that.  Again, Axl had no interest in promoting it at the time so it all fell apart.

It's as simple as THAT, really.

Oh, and I'm sorry to derail this Nirvana/American music discussion that's going on here.  How many different topics have been covered in this thread anyway?  Where do we go from here?

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

cd's failure was the result of a perfect storm

the most significant factors as i see them in chronological order of appearance

the ideals of a fan base grown up

gnr lost a lot of it's once devoted followers when it reformed without any original members after word got out, true or not, that axl was to blame for the break-up. like dominoes many more dropped along the way due to the lack of activity, little to no communication with fans, and an overall dysfunction as a band.

kids today

kids spend more money on music than anyone else and cd, whether you like it or not, wasn't going to appeal to the masses in a time when radio was dominated by britney spears.

a Hardcore reality for the music and it's fans

although gnr's best cd ever wouldn't have made a huge difference to the masses in 2008, a cd with 14 twats would've been unanimously proclaimed as brilliant by the hardcores. after 14 years we got 1 twat and no tour and few of us were screaming from the mountain tops about that. the power of a happy fan base to change a few minds cannot be overlooked.

a struggling best buy's exclusive and a free stream for the curious yielded the punch line

after several failed attempts to be released before finally finding it's day, cd had become a joke and gnr was completely irrelevant to modern music. most of what was left of the curious gave but a short peak at cd for free on myspace rather than paying for it in a store they probably never entered. nobody, seriously considering buying it, would listen only to the first two songs with the rest at their finger tips (all for free) and then decide not to buy it based on those two songs and curiosity does not always equal intent to invest. axe the free stream and do a wal mart exclusive and cd then becomes a possible impulse buy for millions more with differing levels of curiosity and no way to know for sure other than to buy.

the curiosity factor did very little for cd's sales in the end

because

gnr chose the deal that offered money in the bank rather than the one geared towards marketing their product 

and that is in consistency with the direction the band has taken since

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

CD was a perfect storm in many, many ways. It's unique in many ways and that's why it's so deceptively fitting to Axl, of all people in the industry. Even the abbreviation could be said to symbolise the twilight of the commonplace physical format; the MySpace preview was merely icing on the cake.

No-one on top of the situation

Axl had some ideas. The label had others. There was not much dialogue between them throughout the years as they lacked an level-headed middleman. A&R Man Tom Zutaut was probably the best one on the job, but the War of the Yesmen (Axl's camp vs label execs) got even him caught up in a crossfire. Azoff got the job and cut the deal.

General disregard of public image

Has any CD lineup ever done a professional photoshoot?  Had they been marketed themselves as a band, they would've been more openly viewed as a band as opposed to the crazed hermit and his mercenary posse. 

Axl deciding when

Face it, he's always been late for everything.

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:

It is fascinating, looking at Best Buy's condition and MySpace's position. MySpace was clearly on the outs as not being cool anymore. In 2006? It was passable. Best Buy's problems have only gotten worse since then. If they did Facebook or had a decent website and released (a) track out, like a single (countdown was pretty cool), it would have been seen by more likely buyers.
If they went with WalMart, they wouldn't have probably gotten the big check, but they would have pushed a ton more units, no doubt. WalMart has way more traffic, more impulse buying setups near the door... shoot, they could have even put a real bicycle up against a cardboard wall for the display.

Sky Dog wrote:

too much bullshit talk about how tough it is to release music....I just read this at Rolling Stone, speaking of a true brilliant songwriter....from Neil Young.

"Nobody expected Time Fades Away and I'm not sorry I put it out," Young told Rolling Stone's Cameron Crowe in 1975. "I didn't need the money, I didn't need the fame. You gotta keep changing. Shirts, old ladies, whatever. I'd rather keep changing and lose a lot of people along the way. If that's the price, I'll pay it. I don't give a shit if my audience is 100 or 100 million. It doesn't make any difference to me. I'm convinced that what sells and what I do are two completely different things. If they meet, it's coincidence.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/pictu … z234HxUurz

johndivney wrote:

there's a big difference there. axl makes his music as something to sell, rather than creating for the sake of the art itself.

neil's right, of course.
he's right about p much everything.

axl should take a leaf out of his book. axl knows by now how times fades away.

of course axl is "trapped" in his record contract & the idea of a reunion. he doesn't have, or hasn't had, the freedom neil has had.  but, where there's a will there's a way. & axl's way isn't to release music, it's to sell it & make as much money as possible from it.

& i know a lot of people will say, "so what?" to that. or, "that's the way it's meant to be". well, i disagree. but then it's easy for me to say that sitting where i am.. so..

Sky Dog wrote:

AGREE...Axl doesn't need the money anymore so he should be just the opposite of what he is. He should experiment and put out as much as possible. He could get away from Geffen if he REALLY wanted to. I think he likes having that excuse as to why he won't release anything.....

Board footer