You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: 2013 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame (Inductees Announced)

faldor wrote:

Announced today.  This year, they're giving fans a chance to vote.  Not sure how much impact that will have, as it's only PART of the selection process.  I voted for Heart, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Deep Purple, Rush, and Public Enemy.  Hey, they had a kickass version of "Bring The Noise" with Anthrax.  That was enough to get my vote.

Click to vote
http://rockhall.com/get-involved/interact/poll/

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ … e-20121004

Rush, Public Enemy, Deep Purple Nominated for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
Voting open to fans for the first time

By Andy Greene
October 4, 2012 12:15 AM ET

The nominations for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's Class of 2013 are in. This year's hopefuls are Albert King, Chic, Deep Purple, Donna Summer, Heart, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Kraftwerk, the Marvelettes, the Meters, N.W.A., Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Procol Harum, Public Enemy, Randy Newman and Rush. The top vote-getters will be inducted on April 18th, 2013 at the Nokia Theater L.A. live in Los Angeles.

For the first time, the public gets to vote alongside the artists, historians and music industry insiders of the Rock Hall voting body. From now until December 3rd, fans can vote on RollingStone.com for the nominees they'd like to see inducted. The top five acts will comprise a "fan's ballot" that will count as one of the more than 600 ballots that determine the Class of 2013. The results will be announced in mid-December.

"The definition of 'rock & roll' means different things to different people, but as broad as the classifications may be, they all share a common love of the music," commented Joel Peresman, President and CEO of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation. "This year we again proudly put forth a fantastic array of groups and artists that span the entire genre that is 'rock & roll.'"

Rush have been eligible for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame since 1998, but this is their first time appearing on the ballot. Pioneering rap groups N.W.A and Public Enemy also both made the ballot in their first year of eligibility. If they are inducted, they will join fellow hip-hop acts Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, Run-D.M.C. and the Beastie Boys in the Hall of Fame.

The ceremony will be held in Los Angeles for the first time since 1993. It's usually held in New York at the Waldforf Astoria, but it was held in Cleveland in 1997, 2009 and 2012.

johndivney wrote:

kraftwerk, NWA, Public Enemy, Deep Purple, The Meters, Paul Butterfield would be my picks. randy newman obv too but after that lot.

another ridiculous indictment of the HoF Kraftwerk & Deep Purple aren't already in.

NWA & PE really should get in first time - but then that has been said about so many great bands so...

this classification of genres like hi[-hop & electronica is bullfuckingshit. it's about attitude. & kraftwerk are a thousand times more rock n roll than MORish american 'rock' like joan jett & heart IMO, not to mention the desperate fury of NWA & PE.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

I actually made the same selections as you, faldor! 16 Public Enemy was extremely influential on hip hop and there music still holds up. NWA brought things to a new level too. I would be fine with each group getting in. As for the rock acts, Heart should of been inducted last year and it's been long enough for Rush and Deep Purple to get in as well. I've become a big fan of Rush as of recent events and Deep Purple are just legendary! Same with Joan Jett and The Blackhearts hell even the Runaways should be getting in! They are finally hearing what the fans want in the hall. Still waiting on KISS and a few other acts.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Albert King, Deep Purple, Heart, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Kraftwerk, the Marvelettes, Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Randy Newman, Rush.

Me_Wise_Magic

misterID wrote:

Albert King, Deep Purple, Heart, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Kraftwerk, the Marvelettes, Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Randy Newman, Rush.

I would of added Albert King and Randy Newman too. Just ran out of picks!

faldor

faldor wrote:
Me_Wise_Magic 91 wrote:

I actually made the same selections as you, faldor! 16 Public Enemy was extremely influential on hip hop and there music still holds up. NWA brought things to a new level too. I would be fine with each group getting in. As for the rock acts, Heart should of been inducted last year and it's been long enough for Rush and Deep Purple to get in as well. I've become a big fan of Rush as of recent events and Deep Purple are just legendary! Same with Joan Jett and The Blackhearts hell even the Runaways should be getting in! They are finally hearing what the fans want in the hall. Still waiting on KISS and a few other acts.

I would just love to hear Flava Flav's speech if PE gets voted in. Could be legendary.

NWA is probably deserving too, as long as you take "rock" out of the equation. Not sure how much they've influenced rock, although Axl was a big fan. With the ceremony being in California this year, they'd be on their home turf.  Although, it's not exactliy in Compton.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Me_Wise_Magic

RussTCB wrote:

I have absolutely nothing nice to say about the Rock Hall and yes those were my thoughts WELL BEFORE Axl Rose and Izzy Stradin had any say on the subject.

If you ask me, Rush should tell them to go and fuck themselves.

Agreed! I hated the Rock Hall before the Axl/Izzy scenario as well. I respected Axl's decision even though I was happy for the rest of the guys who came. It was logical. The only reason Rush is getting noticed at all is because of the fans knocking on the hall's door and saying they should. They wouldn't of given a rat's ass about them if it weren't for the fans despite their influential music, touring numbers and album sales. The Hall is a bunch of big wigs that only celebrate certain acts for the publicity. They are full of shit!

Good point on the PE induction, Faldor. That would be quite amusing.

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

Fuck that sham that has the bullshit label, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Rock and Roll my fucking ass...

faldor

faldor wrote:
RussTCB wrote:

I have absolutely nothing nice to say about the Rock Hall and yes those were my thoughts WELL BEFORE Axl Rose and Izzy Stradin had any say on the subject.

If you ask me, Rush should tell them to go and fuck themselves.

I hear you, and I get that line of thinking. But after attending last years ceremony, I gained more of an appreciation. The Hall may be a joke on many levels, but they put on a great show when I was there. I didn't quite know what to expect going there and thought I'd be bored through most of it, but that was far from the case.

Board footer