You are not logged in. Please register or login.

otto
 Rep: 83 

Re: Boring afternoon theories

otto wrote:

So I'm on vacations and got a little bored. Started reading some old rumours and insider infos posted across the boards to see what hit the wall and stayed. Found a topic that felt interesting:

The next album is done and was in that state since CD came out and it is all Buckethead//Brain/Finck material which the current band members play over, except trademark eyeliner guy.
It was supposed to come out exactly 1 year after CD, but Azoff's games killed it all.
Is why there is no USA tour too, he pretty much owns everything or he is heavily involved with the ones who do, all related to each others business.
Azoff's proposal was, reunite or I will destroy this band.

Now this is interesting as it was posted way before the lawsuit settlement that made the band tour US as part of the deal. Educated guess?

The current band members would rather want an album with new material out.
Axl isn't impressed by their efforts, Bumble is rebelling because of this, he wants the next album to have his writing on it for royalties.

This was in 2010, way before Bumble's meltdown last year. Kinda makes sense. Also, Bumble publicly said something to this effect, of releasing music "of people that aren't in the band for almost ten years now".

Most insiders know he is in it for the money and as a career move collecting supporters for his solo career, he can't stand GnR music, is a fact, Axl knows this too but he needs him as long as Buckethead shows no interest in returning, which Axl still wants and tries to accomplish in different ways behind the back of the band, is also why he wants to push the unheard Buckethead/Finck material through on the next album, long sentence with wrong usage of commas has ended now.

Okay, polemic topic. I've heard this from people that follow BBF work from way before he joined the band - mind you, people that don't access GNR boards - so when I read this it rang a bell.

Axl actually gave up on that after the Azoff thing, so he let it go and was content being a jukebox nostalgia act, which the band at the moment still is.
Axl wants to change that now.
So not all is a happy cakefest as you see it.

MSL documents are related to this and didn't happen on the same period, only after this was posted.

There are 3 remixes of CD (Axl, Brain, Dizzy-Pitman), big whoop.

This is, as far as I know, the first mention of the Brain remix, that was later confirmed by him.

DVD always has been on the agenda but the support from the company (which is Azoff's contact's lap dog) is zero, like in pretty much anything else the band wants to do, no support from any corner.

The one we're getting now, perhaps, since now the debts with Azoff are paid and there's no legal obligation to give him money anymore?

You already heard parts of "new" songs live that the current members wrote that Axl isn't impressed by, instrumental mellow versions and no shit, they will play unheard full songs one day.
So nothing new there.

Have to say some "jams" they played before some songs in 2011/2012 (Madagascar, Patience, Paradise City) are often mentioned as "this could be a really great tune if they worked it out lyrics for it". Notice that these jams were not really frequent in 2010.

What you guys think? Also, are there any old rumours you remember that ended being true?

johndivney wrote:

i think the azoff thing was the last real clusterfuck of the CD-era, well at least for the time being.

i think now, just guessing obv, but the lack of new material is down to a few factors:
terrible relations w/the label.
inter-band relations & axl's faith in them as songwriters.
& prob axl's creativity.

point 1: this could possibly be resolved if there wasn't such animosity & so many lawyers from the get-go. if they were somehow able to wipe the slate clean that would be a major obstacle out of the way - but everyone is so greedy & wants to make as much money as possible they're kinda afraid to do anything that jeopardizes the chance of success, & they're incapable of finding another formula - cause bar a reunion, the label aren't gonna support whatever's next, & why would they?

point 2: can't blame axl for this. BBF's background in videogames/soundtracks doesn't exactly suggest an awesome tunesmith; DJ's  bit of a hack; Tommy's a decentish singer-songwriter but an anthemic rock band? & the rest of the guys? bleh.
& there is tension in the band. there is. they're not a band, or a gang, they're employee's, they're workers. they don't have a shared common cause, a synergy that bands need to write music that reflects their identity - they don't have an identity. they're meant to be GnR, but we know they're not (& like, Axl thinks he's GnR, but we know he's not).

point 3: in fairness, axl has acknowledged there are songs he's been working on. but still, if it really meant THAT much to him he'd find a way to get it out there. but he seemingly doesn't care enough.

i mean a lotta theories that go round are just bullshit. & i'm probably as guilty as anyone. but at the same time, there are things you can just see & tell by looking at the individuals in the organisation & you can figure where problems are & where things aren't right.
of course the sad truth is it's prob been that way forever, we just lucked out that the 5 AFD guys & then the 4 stuck it out long enough to make AFD/Lies & UYI.

i dunno...
huh? sums it up p well i think.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

I'm glad you posted some of these rumors and tid bits of info, Otto. For me this makes perfect sense. I'll say it again, Fuck Azoff! The guy is an absolute ass. Axl needs to trust this band because no matter what he thinks in his head, the people going to these concerts are really liking these guys like Bumble and DJ. The only way people are going to fully commit to this new band is new material and I know money is a factor with the industry today; but there needs to be some sort of momentum.  Say what you want about DJ but at least he and a few of the band members are stepping up and talking about Guns in the press or to the fans. DJ's recent music endeavors are becoming quite successful. Same goes with Ron. Axl going back to lure Bucket into the band several times over the years isn't a shock. If he wants this to be a band then a record, session work, or something with new songs on it needs to come. He has a band that wants to record and have their say; but he doesn't like what he's hearing which sucks. Is he expecting another Appetite or UYI? Seriously!  It's a mindfuck in every sense of the word. That concept died years ago. Legal matters ruin everything.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

I love this kind of shit, thanks Otto!

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

Not sure if trolling or being serious.

tongue

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:
johndivney wrote:

i think the azoff thing was the last real clusterfuck of the CD-era, well at least for the time being.

When GNR finally started touring in Asia around a year after CD. Axl said something like: "The last year has been the absolute worst year in my life!"

Concidering that Axl has been through some ruff periods, that says a lot.

Perhaps now that he has managers that are "family" and understand what he wants (and/or wants the same things). Things will move a lot smoother. Last year or so tells me so....

Thanks for the original post, Otto!

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

being totally serious, in this boring world of cabaret GNR I love to read all the rumors. Its great when guys like yourself go to the effort of pulling them together.

Not Trolling!!

Lomax wrote:

The lyrics posted back in 06 on chinesedemocracy.com for Sorry turned out to be true.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I believe all of that.

And BRING BACK bucket!!!!!!

I'll start a collection myself.

gavgnr
 Rep: 4 

gavgnr wrote:

Great thread, and some of these insider musings surely have to be correct.

Board footer