You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Axl On Kimmel Oct 24th, Live Interview!

johndivney wrote:

it is nice to see axl on tv. but i just don't think these circumstances are worthy of him or the band.

seriously, have you looked at ana gasteyers IMDB?!
THAT is the standard we're at these days.
embarrassing.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
johndivney wrote:

SNL is a bigger deal than Jimmy Kimmel
& hey, i've seen jagger on cheaper produced shows than jimmy kimmel - my point is more about the standards & quality of the show rather than $$$.

Later has far more kudos than just about any music/entertainment show i know. in terms of tv performances, it has captured more great moments than any other tv, probably ever - inc ed sullivan, or letterman or old grey whistle.

is jimmy kimmel really a big deal in the US?
how many talk shows get bigger ratings than it?
or rather, how many talk shows get lower ratings than it?!
i'm unconvinced..

Ana Gasteyer was on SNL for six seasons, so you're kind of contradicting yourself there.  That's not exactly a small accomplishment.  She's also on a new show (Suburgatory) that is on ABC, the same network Kimmel is on.  It's quite commonplace for stars of shows on the network to go and promote their show on that networks late night show.  But even so, seriously?  We're complaining about the level of guests who are on the show AFTER Axl?  Is that what we've come to?  As if Axl put the show together himself.  For comparison here is the guest list for Late Night With Jimmy Fallon that same night.  Rod Stewart, Jennifer Morrison, Chris D'Elia.  If you want to step it up a notch and take a look at who Leno (the current "king" of late night) has on Tuesday the 23rd (they haven't listed the full guest list for the 24th yet), he has on Denzel Washington, Richard Engel, and M. Ward.  That's the way it goes John.  I'm sorry.  NO late night talk show in the history of mankind has rolled out Tom Hanks, Brad Pitt, and the Beatles in one night.  I can assure you.  There's often one main guest, a secondary guest, and a performer.  That's the formula.  If you don't like it, fine.  But don't blame Axl for it.  He did not create it.   

And Russ brought up a great point about Jools Holland.  I hear all the time, people saying Axl should go on that show.  A lot of Americans would have a "who the hell is he/she?" reaction to that.  Just because you're not familiar with Jimmy Kimmel doesn't mean he's a hack.  The guy has had his show for nearly 10 years now and in January ABC is moving him to 11:30 so he can compete with the big boys (Dave and Jay).  It's not like we're talking about The Chevy Chase Show or The Magic Show here.  He's legit.  Give it a chance before you say he sucks, without any information to back it up whatsoever.

As for ratings, Kimmel's show has always been in a strange spot when it comes to ratings because of his time slot.  The show is on at 12:05, so it competes with the last 1/2 hour of Letterman and Leno, and the first half hour of Fallon and Ferguson.  By the ratings, for last week, technically Fallon beat out Kimmel with a .5 rating and a 3 share.  Kimmel had a .5 rating and a 2 share.  But Kimmel had more overall viewers at 1.7 million, compared to 1.6 million for Fallon.  Obviously Leno and Letterman have the higher ratings, being on at 11:30, right after the local news.  Letterman had 2.9 million viewers, Leno 3.4.  If you really care to gauge how relevant Kimmel is, follow how he does when his show moves to 11:30.  I doubt he'll reach Leno numbers, but he could give Dave a run for his money.  But I venture to guess you could honestly care less.  Again, you're just looking to pile on senselessly because of your frustrations towards Axl and his "choices".  I get the frustration part, but it's just unfounded in this instance.  I'm sorry.

One final note as I stick up for Kimmel.  In case you didn't know.  ABC is sending him to Brooklyn to do his show in 2 weeks to coincide with the Brooklyn Nets opening their inaugural season in the NBA after they moved from New Jersey last season.  He has a few guests you may have heard of lined up for the week including David Letterman, Chris Rock, Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert, Kelly Ripa, Tracy Morgan, Howard Stern, and more.  What a bunch of hacks eh?  Going on that talentless prick's show.  The nerve. 17

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Yes Thank you!! I've seen Kimmel's show a few times and he gets some good guests and musical acts when he can. Don't really watch Late Night shows too often; but I do hope for just a fun Axl interview just telling a few stories, promoting Vegas, and a few other things. I would be pleased with just him saying something.

faldor

faldor wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Rock Superstar sounds fucking awesome there. They should've recorded a studio version of that with the killer Slash solo

I just tried to watch the Paradise City video with Cypress Hill and I made it about 20 seconds into B Real's vocals, or whatever his name is.  AWFUL!  The guy doesn't know the words.  Just AWFUL!  Rock Superstar is fine, because that's their song (right?).  But keep them away from PC, please.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

Perhaps the production of the show choose people that arent as relevant so they can focus more on Axl, giving him more air time?

I dont know man, but I cant see NOTHING negative about this and believe me, I've tried.

faldor

faldor wrote:
ottosporteman wrote:

Perhaps the production of the show choose people that arent as relevant so they can focus more on Axl, giving him more air time?

I dont know man, but I cant see NOTHING negative about this and believe me, I've tried.

Well that's what the OPTIMIST would point out.  They COULD have booked a bigger guest than Axl, and pushed him back to 2nd guest.  I can only imagine the outcry if Jonah Hill got top billing over Axl. 18  The focus could be more towards the fact that Axl is the top guest for the night and thus will get the most time on air.  But if people want to focus on who else is on the show, or why he's not hosting SNL, have at it. 19

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

johndivney wrote:

i'm unconvinced.

i understand how talk shows work. how the running order of guests work. i know the formula. the larry sanders show is maybe my favourite show of all time ffs!

i still maintain this should be beneath axl.

chris rock & rod stewart are the only names you listed anywhere close to the star power axl rose & GnR carries - or should carry, & even then they're not really that close.

& the jools comparison is harsh considering it's solely a music show rather than an entertainment show.
but like i say, it has an exposure & credibility (however much that's unwarranted, btw) that you don't get from normal shows. from unknown artists to superstars, jools is a theater for musical competition & that's where it gets it's power. i mean at the end of the day of course it's about selling yourself, but the manner of doing it is much more palatable & exciting than an american talk show w/low ratings & reach.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

johndivney wrote:

Ha! Good question.

Simple answer tho: release more new music!
Then I [probably] wouldn't be so dissatisfied w/some of the decisions. I'd be appeased by new material.

Looking @ it now I can't believe I've talked so much BS on this topic lol a complete non-issue.
Some kind of achievement I guess.. A productive day!

Board footer