You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: Guns N' Roses, Jack White set for Bridge School Benefit

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:
johndivney wrote:
RussTCB wrote:
johndivney wrote:

axl didn't get up to join in rockin in the free world?

lame if so.

he'd probably fucked off home by that stage..

yada yada yada strep throad - he coulda made an appearance at least.
oh well.
can't say this event has been a rousing success story. more like another deflating missed opportunity by the looks of it.. half decent performances but nothing to set the world alight & let in more room for naysayers.

Axl most certainly did join in on Rockin'

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151224794654311

gibbo wrote:

Hes in the video i posted

ah righteo
i still havent gotten round to watching the whole thing yet but a friend read the rolling stone review & it said axl didn't join in.

On the night of the stream I only saw Pitman from GNR on Rockin In the....

The second night had at least Axl, DJ and Ron as far as I could see.

johndivney wrote:

Yea I think the RS review was of the first night but Axl joined them the next.

Sky Dog wrote:
johndivney wrote:

Yea I think the RS review was of the first night but Axl joined them the next.

boy, we need a video of this...
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/pictu … es-0139897

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
RussTCB wrote:
Ali wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Given Ali likes the clean tone best, and prefers the feel of the 2012 wobbling pitch displayed during last night's rendition of "better" over the cold cutting sharp anger of a 2009 Axl...I can only hope that he'll report that the gig sounded bad...as to the rest of us...that will mean Axl's back!

Please do not put words in my mouth. Yes on the first part, but the 2nd part is complete and utter fabrication you're attributing to me. I never said anything about preferring "wobbling pitch".

Ali

I get what you're saying Ali, but I honestly don't think 'Chow meant any disrespect towards you with the post. I think he was just being funny in a good natured way, or at least that's always the vibe I get from him.

Fair enough.  It's just a pet peeve of mine.

Some other notes.  My girlfriend observed, and correctly so, that Axl used more vibrato last night than on Saturday night.  He definitely sounded like he was pushing his voice more, getting more volume, throughout the set.  Like I said before, his voice had a fuller quality last night, like it was resonating more in his chest than his head.  I think he was blending his head and chest voice better last night.  My girlfriend, who is not a GN'R fan BTW, said the set last night was much closer to what we saw at the LA Forum last year apart from increased raspiness that may have been due to the illness.

True story:  Of all the preceding acts, GN'R got the loudest ovation of the night after their set.  2nd True Story:  A very sweet woman named Kathy that I met there that is celebrating her 66th birthday today, turned to me after GN'R finished their set and said, "Well, that kicked fucking ass."

Also, Axl said that they asked Neil if he would join them for "Don't Let It Bring You Down" as it was a song that always gave Axl hope.

Ali

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

True story is your opinion of who got the loudest ovation?

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Glad you an amazing time, Ali! Very interesting story.

jonesy
 Rep: 15 

jonesy wrote:
RussTCB wrote:

Axl most certainly did join in on Rockin'

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151224794654311

I love the bit where Axl leans in and adds a bit of a wail, that's really cool.

I'm late to the party on this one, but here's my 2 pence.....

And screw it, I thought the vids for Better / Jungle made it look/sound awful, and at first I winced. But then I thought "who cares?"  Really, no matter how it turned out, it was a very cool thing for them to do, for a charity event like that, any of my bitching or analysing doesn't matter one bit, it was just a plain cool thing to do. So fair play.

Ali

Ali wrote:
Me_Wise_Magic 91 wrote:

Glad you an amazing time, Ali! Very interesting story.

Yeah, it was very cool.  A once in a lifetime experience, really.

It was funny because before the song with Neil Young, Axl said "from the be careful what you wish for department" and after it he said "that was pretty fucking awesome".

I heard this girl say as I was leaving "It was so cool to see Axl so humble".

That made me chuckle.

Ali

Ali

Ali wrote:

I'll add one more thing for now.  During one of the set changes, they showed this video tribute containing a bunch of pictures of this former Bridge School student that passed away almost a year ago at the age of 9.  He was laughing and smiling in every single picture, despite the challenges that life threw at him and before his life was tragically cut short.

I saw that and then it crystallized for me that while people are complaining about the raspiness, or lack thereof, in Axl's voice and all that, there was something much more significant about this particular gig.  Something that went beyond the performances themselves.

I'm thankful I have my health and am able to enjoy concerts and express that gratitude in verbal and written communication.  These kids weren't blessed like I was.  So, I'm thankful that there are people like Neil and Pegi Young who help these kids out, and make their situations known to the rest of us.

Ali

Board footer