You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Re: Axl at the Golden Globes afterparty

Intercourse wrote:

What hasn't been alluded to is that Axl may be on serious mood meds and those, mixed with 5 star hotel food and tons of booze late at night for the last 5 years is what is keeping him bloated. No exercise will get rid of drug bloat. You usually can;'t be bothered anyway.

His mood seems really good these days, maybe a doctor has found something that keeps him on an even keel but the continued puffiiness is the side effect. I had a friend on Prozac and she went from being a skinny but edgy & nervous hottie to a chubby, shabby, doped out & serene hippy.

Also, if you listen to Axl sing the acoustic version of "Welcome to the Jungle" on the Mikey Mouse voice joke vidoes  in another thread  he actually drifts into "You're Crazy" by accident and just about manages to save himself before the whole thing becomes a train wreck.

That to me is a singer who is seriously fucked up on something because the brain is too stewed and  can't find and organise the lyrics  in time for the mouth to sing. I know beacuse I used to get drunk and really high playing gigs back in the day and that is the kind of shit that used to happen to me.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

So I called my wife over to check out the vid on the first page of this thread and she goes "who's that".  I say "It's Axl" she goes "he looks friggin aweful, he looks like he's been bitten by a bee".  14

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

Me personally I don't really care what he looks like, as long as it doesn't affect his vocals.  That said I can't understand how you could not at some point reach a level of unfitness (not saying Axl is there yet) where it affects your singing & performance ability negatively. 

Now just because he can wear what he wants doesn't mean I don't have an opinion on his look.  So FWIW my opinion is:

Lose the fucken fedora hat, the deviate moustache and the bloody scarff.  I don't give a fuck if he's going bald and therefore has to cut his hair.  We're all getting older, that's ok.  Shit my hair is thinning at 38.  Personally to me he looks badass with jeans, t-shirt and a bandanna.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I always got the feeling that all the scarfs, thick jackets, layers of shirts that he wears, the stache, the hat and glasses were his way of hiding in public. Perhaps he doesn't want to be touring right now. I kind of felt the same about his 2002 look. He wasn't trying, he didn't want to be there, he was just showing up.

2006 - Pure confidence. From wardrobe to vocals.

Yeah, he has the heavy partying look.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:
misterID wrote:

2006 - Pure confidence. From wardrobe to vocals.

There it is in a nutshell..

By the way, can someone explain to me how to post a pic?
I'm a fucking 'tard and cvan't seem to master it!

I hit the  button, shove in the URL and get spew...:peace:

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

The meds idea is a logical argument.

I used to think that 2000ish video of him at the basketball game supported that theory too.

He was like a whole different person in that video. I mean usually you see confident talkative Axl (mtv era interviews) or angry upset axl (stage rants / candid footage) or nice guy chilled Axl (eddie trunk interviews etc)...but in that basketball video he seemed shy and looked a bit like a rabbit in the lights...didn't seem to have a trace of anything but uber happiness. Always wondered if he was on some kind of medication in it.

Anyhow, meds would make sense for weight gain despite a fitness regimen (which we know he has - asks for tredmills backstage), and despite the common sense approach that it's in his interests to keep buff (which he must know)....but it's MORE in his interests to keep balanced and sane...and a regrettable side effect could be weight gain.

It's a logical possibility anyway.

2006 Axl did have the cool look and the epic voice though, love to see him get back to that kind of vocal shape....

johndivney wrote:

take my medication
do my best to get it on

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

he looks fine to me. same as he always does any ways. he is always gonna look different on stage i.e. sweaty and flexed. scarf has to go i'll agree. i like the cane.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I agree very much that his voice is weakest this tour than on previous tours...so not trying to apologise....but I do think opera singing is actually very similar....very high and powerful notes that you need to hit 100% from the diaphragm. Not trying to be a dick - but I think things like the extended scream he used to do in LALD circa 2002 are actually using the same kind of body responce you'd do in opera to hit the massive notes in a song like nesindorma.

You can't pull off AFD or opera without breathing properly and I don't think being fat in and of itself should inhibit that.....

Unless it comes back to the movement/entertainment side of it..like the dancing and walking around is mildly winding him leaving him breathless for hitting the notes....but I know bigger guys who can hit epic powerful stuff in a variety of genres including metal.

It's curious though that he's used oxygen for years, makes me wonder if the years of smoking or something else is actually a factor as well, I don't deny his voice has issues at the moment, I'm just saying I wouldn't rush to judgment that it's about his diet.

Big difference though being fat ur entire life and then.becoming fat. For instance ive always been heavy so at 190lbs I can run half marathons.  My brother always was very skinny so at 190lbs he can barely walk a mile.

Sky Dog wrote:

he's cooked.....let's move on. Seriously, he is done. Sly Stone done.

Board footer