You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Re: BUMBLEFOOT Says Waiting For A New GUNS N' ROSES Album To Get Done Is '

Bono wrote:
misterID wrote:
johndivney wrote:

Twat aside, Bh on Nightrain & Maddy r prob the two greatest GnR moments post-classic line-up. Sublime stuffup there w/the greatest GnR performances/songs. Such a sad waste.

Absolutely agree. He totally reinvented that solo, he didn't copy it. That's the GN'R I wanted to hear more of. And I loved the fact he changed up the Maddy solo almost every night..

Yeah he reinvented something that wasn't his to reinvent. We all wanted to hear more of that Gn'R but on original material not stuff the old band made and not so they can change the vibe of classic songs. People always say fans want to hear the classics and that's true but they sure as fuck don't want to see a bunch of new guys reinventing the old songs.  Make your own songs and reinvent those.

misterID wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

You can pretend stuff like Anastasia isn't good guitar if you want to, but if Axl or Izzy had sung over the same shit in 1993 we'd all be jacking off to it.

Not me. If GN'R recorded that song in 93 it would embody everything that I feared GN'R would have turned into had the original guys stayed together. I guess this is my NT solo, where I just don't understand the fascination some of you guys have with this song.

I don't buy hsi for one second and if it's true I gotta honestly ask: did you even like the origia band? I mean seriously what the fuck? Has Slash ever done anything you like. I honestly believe if Axl sang over Justin Beiber's music you'd say it's better than Slash's stuff.

Bono

Bono wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Who said anything about SCOM.

You have this shit ass backwards.

The place where the songwriting is ALMOST NON-EXISTANT is GNR.

When did they write a new song last? 2008? When is the next album due 2016? What has the even done since 1993? ONE RECORD?

The place where the song writing doesn't exist is GNR, it's the band that's been unable to do anything but do live shows for the better part of two decades now.

30-40 songs, 15 of which we've heard. Judging by the quality of those likely there are some gems among the leftovers too. And even if those 15 songs are all we ever get to hear it's still on par (I'd say it crushes it) with Slash' 6 major albums. Who cares if he puts out 40+ songs you never want to hear again.

Hey, nobody's denying Axl is a fucking train wreck when it comes to almost anything, but still his creative output manages to be more impressive.

I like Axl more than most people but I'm sick of the need to run down the ex-members to justify Axl's problems.

Got nothing to do with justifying his problems, it's got to do with what you prefer. Amiable, on time and productive but with a shit output, or epic train wreck with the potential for a handful of memorable songs? I don't know about you but I'm in it for the music. Not live shows, not interviews, not an annual christmas record or a cash gig with LL Cool J on MTV.

The other members have put out a TON of great music and lived full musical careers outside of GNR while Axl remains crippled by psychological problems that causes the endless drama and bullshit list of people who've "wronged" the band...prevents him from achieving the greatness he once had, seemingly makes it impossible to release even a morsel of his creativity in terms of new music....and seems to have to be coaxed into doing even the smallest of changes to the live show.

A ton? Really? Let me see your playlist. Snakepit 1 and Contraband are far and above and they have maybe 3 good to very good songs each. Even that is cutting them some slack considering how laughable the singers are.

Rest is true, not denying that.

You can pretend stuff like Anastasia isn't good guitar if you want to, but if Axl or Izzy had sung over the same shit in 1993 we'd all be jacking off to it.

A pretty big if! That'd be like saying your meal would have been great had Gordon Ramsay cooked it. And let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Anastasia benefits from being one of only a few highlights in the desert of generity that is Apocalyptic Love (say cheese!). The intro is catchy enough but I'm certainly not getting my dick out. After that we have a few minutes of Mylesiocrity with nothing all too exciting going on in the background. And you act like I don't know what a good Slash solo sounds like. He's my favorite player in the genre, but definitely not because of anything he does on this song. Adding sweat to get a little extra length actually applies well here. Basically he's phoning it in. Like he came up with a decent riff, did some standard stuff on the verses and felt the need to plaster on a solo without having any real drive for what that should be.

And that's "his best work in years". 3

Honestly lately you've seriously been drifting into uncharted fanboy territory with Axl. You talk about Slash phoning it in and not pushing himself yet praise the laziest mother fucker on the planet. A guy who's content to live off Slash's work and tour the hits. Chinese Democracy is underwhelming for far too many people  for you to be acting like Axl is the musical genius post 1994 while Slash's output is just a guy phoning in cheesey generic stuff. Axl had 13 years,  an insane budget an a group f incredibly talented musicians to do CD and THAT is what he came up with? An average at best album. The fact you can sit there and paint the guy as a creative genus who pushes himself while slash is a slacker is rather laughable.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Buckethead had a weird tendency to play a great solo one time then do much lesser variations. His Madagascar solo in RIO I've never heard played quite the same way in any other show, the same goes for this soundboard recording of Nightrain:

Seriously, you have a problem with this? Slash' version might be better but this is still some epic stuff.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
Bono wrote:

Honestly lately you've seriously been drifting into uncharted fanboy territory with Axl. You talk about Slash phoning it in and not pushing himself yet praise the laziest mother fucker on the planet. A guy who's content to live off Slash's work and tour the hits. Chinese Democracy is underwhelming for far too many people  for you to be acting like Axl is the musical genius post 1994 while Slash's output is just a guy phoning in cheesey generic stuff. Axl had 13 years,  an insane budget an a group f incredibly talented musicians to do CD and THAT is what he came up with? An average at best album. The fact you can sit there and paint the guy as a creative genus who pushes himself while slash is a slacker is rather laughable.

Lately? I've always been a staunch supporter of Axl's studio work. And you can go as far back as you like, you wont find any posts from me giving much praise to any Slash effort. I like original gn'r as much as the next man, but the reason I'm here today is because of Axl and what he, God willing, might do next.

What's happened lately is the myth about Slash being the gatekeeper of proper, old school guns n' roses is starting to shatter.

Here's the difference between Axl's work and the others post 95. On the albums people are actually able to name a title on the fly, the best songs are, more or less unanimously: Beggars And Hangers On, Slither and Anastasia. You ask that same question for CD and you might get 10 different answers. That's the difference, and as it so happens that's also the response you'd get on the old albums. People struggle to decide what's the best song cause they all have so much quality.

If you want to rag on Axl for all of his many shortcomings that's perfectly legitimate, but it's time people stop letting their adoration for the curly tress get in the way of acknowledging the musical accomplishments of the greatest rock n roll front man in history. It's time to stop forgetting who we're actually talking about here. The man who brought a promising club band to the top of the world and inspired one of the greatest group of musical talent ever assembled to write a heap of timeless stuff. He's not just the singer making life tough for the guitarist with his alien antics. If the counselor would present Snakepit 1&2, VR 1&2 and Slash 1&2 as evidence it becomes clear he's the red thread in being able to sustain a riff for more than 60 seconds and come up with lyrics and modulations you've not already heard 5 times in the last hour on the radio.

Axl's band might not sound quite like GN'R but in time you realize it certainly feels like it. There's 1 average song on that album and the best of Slash and Duffs work can barely compete with that. The rest is in a league of it's own. In order to back up my opinions I've forced myself to endure what can only be described as an unhealthy amount of generic rock by the ex members. The relief on my ears when I put on TWAT and Catcher was significant. At last a well composed, true masterpiece. That solo can compete with anything the sun glassed one ever put his name on. Not better, but belonging in that same peak class.

Why can't Slash reproduce earlier efforts? Either because he's lazy or because he can't hack it without the red head. Axl can be lazy in all other ways all he wants. Ultimately he puts out stuff worth coming back to. Worth remembering. Something you know there's not really anything else like it out there. That's GN'R. The sound of Slash' guitar is just the variation.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
Bono wrote:

Lately? I've always been a staunch supporter of Axl's studio work. And you can go as far back as you like, you wont find any posts from me giving much praise to any Slash effort. I like original gn'r as much as the next man, but the reason I'm here today is because of Axl and what he, God willing, might do next.

What's happened lately is the myth about Slash being the gatekeeper of proper, old school guns n' roses is starting to shatter.

Here's the difference between Axl's work and the others post 95. On the albums people are actually able to name a title on the fly, the best songs are, more or less unanimously: Beggars And Hangers On, Slither and Anastasia. You ask that same question for CD and you might get 10 different answers. That's the difference, and as it so happens that's also the response you'd get on the old albums. People struggle to decide what's the best song cause they all have so much quality.

If you want to rag on Axl for all of his many shortcomings that's perfectly legitimate, but it's time people stop letting their adoration for the curly tress get in the way of acknowledging the musical accomplishments of the greatest rock n roll front man in history. It's time to stop forgetting who we're actually talking about here. The man who brought a promising club band to the top of the world and inspired one of the greatest group of musical talent ever assembled to write a heap of timeless stuff. He's not just the singer making life tough for the guitarist with his alien antics. If the counselor would present Snakepit 1&2, VR 1&2 and Slash 1&2 as evidence it becomes clear he's the red thread in being able to sustain a riff for more than 60 seconds and come up with lyrics and modulations you've not already heard 5 times in the last hour on the radio.

Axl's band might not sound quite like GN'R but in time you realize it certainly feels like it. There's 1 average song on that album and the best of Slash and Duffs work can barely compete with that. The rest is in a league of it's own. In order to back up my opinions I've forced myself to endure what can only be described as an unhealthy amount of generic rock by the ex members. The relief on my ears when I put on TWAT and Catcher was significant. At last a well composed, true masterpiece. That solo can compete with anything the sun glassed one ever put his name on. Not better, but belonging in that same peak class.

Why can't Slash reproduce earlier efforts? Either because he's lazy or because he can't hack it without the red head. Axl can be lazy in all other ways all he wants. Ultimately he puts out stuff worth coming back to. Worth remembering. Something you know there's not really anything else like it out there. That's GN'R. The sound of Slash' guitar is just the variation.

Your on some good shit Betta 14

Bono

Bono wrote:

WTF Polluxlm! You act as though without Slash it's a forgone conclusion that Axl would've gone on to greatness anyways while Slash would be an unknown. What I'm getting sick of is you stating things as fact like Slash is phoning it in or his fans don't like his music as much as Axl's like CD. This inseccant need to say that Slash isnt pushing himself and not delivering while Axl is, is just nuts. Ummm.... excuse me but Slash delivers consistently for his fans.  Axl has his fucking thumb up his ass playing music Slash co wrote. Axl is fucking scared to do anything while Slash gets out there and rocks. It's hilarious to see you criticize Slash for the things Axl is doing and then praise Axl for the things Slash is doing. You've got it backwards. You can like CD all you want but you can't make shit up. Slash is delivering, Axl is doing NOTHING. He's giving nobody anything to like.

One of my best friends who has never been a big fan of Gn'R, just recently bought a Les Paul just like Slash's and he's been sending me links to Slash on youtube. He sent me Back to Cali the other night saying that's what he's going to learn next. I was genuinely surprised at his sudden interest in Slash and finally asked him if Slash is his favourite guitarist. His answer was and I quote "Yeah he is now. he's become a fuckin legend cause he as good or better now than he was with Gun N' Roses". So your opinion that Slash isn't doing anything note worthy just isn't true. To you maybe but you need to learn how to make the distinction between what you think and what's actually happening for others. Slash has fans for a fucking reason and it's not all past material. Yes Axl has fans thanks to CD but I'd be willing to bet Slash has gained more fans through his efforts post Gn'R than Axl has. In fact I'd say Slash has likely gained fans while Axl has lost fans based on musical output and the quality of it. That's just a  guess but it wouldn't surprise me.

You talk about relief to your ears when you put on TWAT or Catcher well I can honestly say after hearing a  few CD songs the relief to my ears when I put on Slither or Anastasia or Messages or anything that sounds organic and not produced to fucking hell is significant. I can only tolerate CD for a few songs and usually it's limited to CD, Better and Prostitute. In fact I don't remember the last time I botherd listening to anything else off that album. You say there's only 1 average song well that's fine but in my opinion I feel there's 3 really bad songs, 3 good songs and 8 average but mostly forgettable songs. Wow what a true masterpeice right. 

but the reason I'm here today is because of Axl and what he, God willing, MIGHT do next.

That says it all. What he MIGHT do. he's not doing anything yet you act like he's conquering the world. People who enjoy Slash's music don't need to hang on the internet speculation what if and if only and maybe. Slash just delivers.  The reason you're here and you admit it yourself is because you're hoping he does something not because he is doing something. So get it straight and stop acting like Slash is sucking while Axl is succeeding. Those who enjoy Slash's music don't need to hope he does somethng cool. He's already doing it. Guess it's easier to bash somthing you don't enjoy and say that "your guy" is better based on potential though. ou've gotten to the point now where it honestly seems like you are bashing Slash t make yourself feel better about Axl. I'll take results over potential every day of the week. I'll enjoy Slash's records while you keep hoping for Axl to do something

Also... In time, No I  will not feel like CD feels like Gn'R. It's been out for 5 fucking years almost. How long do I gotta wait for it to feel like Gn'R?  Axl was the voice of Guns N' Roses but I've long sinced realized what feels like Guns N' Roses is the style and tone of Slash's guitar playing. How can you sit there and seriously say Slash's playing is just the variation. Th Did you ee like theold band?  Slash's playing embodied the sound, feel, style and attitude that was GunsN' Roses. When I hear Slash play even on his new songs for me it sounds like Guns N' Roses. is tone IS Guns N' Roses every bit as much s Axl's voice was.  When I hear Axl sing anymore I hear a guy trying to sound like Axl Rose but falling short. Even on CD. His music is forced, his voice is processed and produced to a level it's almost unenjoyable on some songs. There's nothing organic about CD and it doesn't have an honesty that was Gn'R. Slash's guitar playing still embodies that.

Seriously though you gotta stop acting like Slash is lazy and uninspired while Axl is the one with creative drive and desire.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

Bono, mate you're on a highway to nowhere here. You're up against the same stonewall you'd get at HTGTH.
Like me, you should just ignore the Axlamic Fundamentalists and enjoy music from old GNR, and now Slash, Duff and Axl for yourself and forget the other stuff, although I’m enjoying the sparring here enormously!

Looking at the whole thing from each “side”;

There is something quite unique in Axl's world that he seems surrounded by so much tension and unpleasantness, this radiates out from his entourage and into much of his hardcore fan base. Those closest to him and those who most support him often do so in a very unpleasant, aggressive and irrational way.

The carry on in HTGTH is toxic; Jarmo went from being a happy & chatty fan to a totalitarian dick, Team Brazil are surrounded in horror stories of arrogance, incompetance and rudeness.

Then the other shit follows on; albums, hell even fucking songs cannot get recorded, gigs cannot start on time, TV specials fall apart, interviews are exercises in knife-edge brinksmanship, band members are clueless, guitar players leave the band and refuse to utter a word about their experience in GNR, current members sound stupid and powerless when interviewed and actually seem to know less about what’s going on in the band than Jarmo when asked. Plus lawsuits with ancient vendettas inserted still get pushed into court.

The fundamental mistake that Jarmo and all the hardcores make is that we so called "haters"  call out Axl, not because we think he’s shit, it’s in fact the total opposite. We call him out because he shat all over his old band mates on his way to being CEO of GNR, promised us all it would be worth it but has delivered so piteously compared to what he did with them that its time to shout "rthe Emperor has no clothes on!!"
We want to see him succeed, but you have to call a spade a spade sometimes.

Hell, it’s a great soap opera but if people want to embrace and defend wants going on now, let them. Jarmo must be bored out of his fucking mind writing the same passive aggressive shit day-in day-out to decent fans who just ask logical questions about why their idol can’t play ball.

Slash’s world on the other hand appears peaceful and the man is playing the guitar of his life. He runs his band like most professional bands run theirs, efficiently and with their customer in mind.

Personally, I’ll take 10 songs like “Bad Rain” every two years over a song like “Scrapped” every twelve years any day. People Slash is lazy, I think we all know that is total bullshit. The man is out there on all fronts with no major label support doing it for real and the crowds are getting bigger every year.

Sure I’d agree the man needs to collaborate with more modern rockers like Cantrell or Grohl, or AXL ideally to bring out the best in him but he’s TRYING and that is always more commendable than sitting at home whining and blaming others for your every ill.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

Bono, mate you're on a highway to nowhere here. You're up against the same stonewall you'd get at HTGTH.
Like me, you should just ignore the Axlamic Fundamentalists and enjoy music from old GNR, and now Slash, Duff and Axl for yourself and forget the other stuff, although I’m enjoying the sparring here enormously!

Looking at the whole thing from each “side”;

There is something quite unique in Axl's world that he seems surrounded by so much tension and unpleasantness, this radiates out from his entourage and into much of his hardcore fan base. Those closest to him and those who most support him often do so in a very unpleasant, aggressive and irrational way.

The carry on in HTGTH is toxic; Jarmo went from being a happy & chatty fan to a totalitarian dick, Team Brazil are surrounded in horror stories of arrogance, incompetance and rudeness.

Then the other shit follows on; albums, hell even fucking songs cannot get recorded, gigs cannot start on time, TV specials fall apart, interviews are exercises in knife-edge brinksmanship, band members are clueless, guitar players leave the band and refuse to utter a word about their experience in GNR, current members sound stupid and powerless when interviewed and actually seem to know less about what’s going on in the band than Jarmo when asked. Plus lawsuits with ancient vendettas inserted still get pushed into court.

The fundamental mistake that Jarmo and all the hardcores make is that we so called "haters"  call out Axl, not because we think he’s shit, it’s in fact the total opposite. We call him out because he shat all over his old band mates on his way to being CEO of GNR, promised us all it would be worth it but has delivered so piteously compared to what he did with them that its time to shout "rthe Emperor has no clothes on!!"
We want to see him succeed, but you have to call a spade a spade sometimes.

Hell, it’s a great soap opera but if people want to embrace and defend wants going on now, let them. Jarmo must be bored out of his fucking mind writing the same passive aggressive shit day-in day-out to decent fans who just ask logical questions about why their idol can’t play ball.

Slash’s world on the other hand appears peaceful and the man is playing the guitar of his life. He runs his band like most professional bands run theirs, efficiently and with their customer in mind.

Personally, I’ll take 10 songs like “Bad Rain” every two years over a song like “Scrapped” every twelve years any day. People Slash is lazy, I think we all know that is total bullshit. The man is out there on all fronts with no major label support doing it for real and the crowds are getting bigger every year.

Sure I’d agree the man needs to collaborate with more modern rockers like Cantrell or Grohl, or AXL ideally to bring out the best in him but he’s TRYING and that is always more commendable than sitting at home whining and blaming others for your every ill.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Bono wrote:
misterID wrote:
johndivney wrote:

Twat aside, Bh on Nightrain & Maddy r prob the two greatest GnR moments post-classic line-up. Sublime stuffup there w/the greatest GnR performances/songs. Such a sad waste.

Absolutely agree. He totally reinvented that solo, he didn't copy it. That's the GN'R I wanted to hear more of. And I loved the fact he changed up the Maddy solo almost every night..

Yeah he reinvented something that wasn't his to reinvent. We all wanted to hear more of that Gn'R but on original material not stuff the old band made and not so they can change the vibe of classic songs. People always say fans want to hear the classics and that's true but they sure as fuck don't want to see a bunch of new guys reinventing the old songs.  Make your own songs and reinvent those.

misterID wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Not me. If GN'R recorded that song in 93 it would embody everything that I feared GN'R would have turned into had the original guys stayed together. I guess this is my NT solo, where I just don't understand the fascination some of you guys have with this song.

I don't buy hsi for one second and if it's true I gotta honestly ask: did you even like the origia band? I mean seriously what the fuck? Has Slash ever done anything you like. I honestly believe if Axl sang over Justin Beiber's music you'd say it's better than Slash's stuff.

You have a seriously weird obsession with what others think, like trying to mold it into what you want it to mean, for whatever strange reason you have... I don't even know why it even matters to you this much.

No, I think Anastasia is crap. Period. End of story. I always have. If you love it, fine. That song has nothing to do with me liking the old band. It sounds nothing like the old band. If Axl made something I thought was crap, I'd say it. That's what the fuck.

Buckethead was in GN'R, he could play the old songs however he wanted, you have the power and ability not to listen.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
Bono wrote:

Holy shit, this is funny.  I can't even pick it apart piece by piece because the whole thing is so far out there I can't stop laughing.

Board footer