You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: BUMBLEFOOT Says Waiting For A New GUNS N' ROSES Album To Get Done Is '

johndivney wrote:

fuck i feel like the little kid watching his divorced parents bitch about stupid shit instead of talking about the good times.

re: BH Nightrain solo
i don't actually hear this reinvention tbh. i actually thought he stayed true to the 'feel'/'tone'/whatever-the-fuck of the original but then added an extra dimension, he took it a little deeper made it a little more cautionary & sadder/blue-iser(?) while still maintaining the story of the original (which is actually my all time favourite solo, not just of GnR but anyone).
i do agree w/those that say BBF doesn't carry it off as well. too twiddly, doesn't have the right attitude or power. BH was able to infuse it w/an extra layer of that elusive 'soul' while maintaining it's integrity, BBF's just seems redolent of someone tossing out the first idea that came to mind rather than appreciating the power of the song. his approach doesn't have the potency of Slash & BH's versions. they fly, albeit fly into the abyss of hell. BBF's just seems to have no impact & the current version is too glitzy, too happy-party-face rather than the scintillating dirge of previous incarnations. there's an admission in Slash & BH's solo's that is missing from BBF's, it's not a party anthem or if it is it's a party anthem for the damned which just isn't conveyed in the current line-up.
(fwfw i voted for BH Nightrain in the song of the week poll. & will do again next time. i'd have requested it actually but someone beat me to the punch somewhere along the line).

jonesy
 Rep: 15 

jonesy wrote:

This thread will eat itself before long...... its an interesting read....if you're interested. smile

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
Bono wrote:

WTF Polluxlm! You act as though without Slash it's a forgone conclusion that Axl would've gone on to greatness anyways while Slash would be an unknown. What I'm getting sick of is you stating things as fact like Slash is phoning it in or his fans don't like his music as much as Axl's like CD. This inseccant need to say that Slash isnt pushing himself and not delivering while Axl is, is just nuts. Ummm.... excuse me but Slash delivers consistently for his fans.  Axl has his fucking thumb up his ass playing music Slash co wrote. Axl is fucking scared to do anything while Slash gets out there and rocks. It's hilarious to see you criticize Slash for the things Axl is doing and then praise Axl for the things Slash is doing. You've got it backwards. You can like CD all you want but you can't make shit up. Slash is delivering, Axl is doing NOTHING. He's giving nobody anything to like.

One of my best friends who has never been a big fan of Gn'R, just recently bought a Les Paul just like Slash's and he's been sending me links to Slash on youtube. He sent me Back to Cali the other night saying that's what he's going to learn next. I was genuinely surprised at his sudden interest in Slash and finally asked him if Slash is his favourite guitarist. His answer was and I quote "Yeah he is now. he's become a fuckin legend cause he as good or better now than he was with Gun N' Roses". So your opinion that Slash isn't doing anything note worthy just isn't true. To you maybe but you need to learn how to make the distinction between what you think and what's actually happening for others. Slash has fans for a fucking reason and it's not all past material. Yes Axl has fans thanks to CD but I'd be willing to bet Slash has gained more fans through his efforts post Gn'R than Axl has. In fact I'd say Slash has likely gained fans while Axl has lost fans based on musical output and the quality of it. That's just a  guess but it wouldn't surprise me.

You talk about relief to your ears when you put on TWAT or Catcher well I can honestly say after hearing a  few CD songs the relief to my ears when I put on Slither or Anastasia or Messages or anything that sounds organic and not produced to fucking hell is significant. I can only tolerate CD for a few songs and usually it's limited to CD, Better and Prostitute. In fact I don't remember the last time I botherd listening to anything else off that album. You say there's only 1 average song well that's fine but in my opinion I feel there's 3 really bad songs, 3 good songs and 8 average but mostly forgettable songs. Wow what a true masterpeice right.

Nah, Slash could always have gotten that Poison gig or some sort if he wanted. He'd definitely elevate those type of bands and reach a decent height of stardom in the process, but the world conquering factor in GN'R was always Axl Rose. He set out to do that from the beginning. What are the biggest songs with the girls? November Rain, Don't Cry and Sweet Child O Mine. The Blues and This I Love too probably if the trolls at the record company had the sense to promote it. Who adapted Knocking On Heavens Door to the stadium crowds? Who went on stage and captivated the audience with steady energetic performances? Admittedly late and sometimes not at all, but you'll find no front man like that in the last 30 years with such a unique charisma and cross over appeal. Slash was no slouch himself in that department, but ultimately the ability to successfully work a crowd rest with the front man.

I'm just using your own statements against you. You and others have frequently posted frank statements detailing your lack of dedication for Slash's work. "He's trying", "Well it's not great but at least he releases stuff!", "Myles Kennedy is kinda cheesy and those lyrics suck but that Slash fill 20 seconds in is pretty cool!", "Axl stuff is not great either!". That is the landscape out there. When prompted about the quality of his music you tend to turn to compromises. Of course now, with trenches built and all, we get a more polished story. I see you even brought the straw man to suggest what Slash is doing now is in fact better than what he did in GN'R. In the original sense of the word, that is incredible. But I see your friend never really liked GN'R anyway so that just furthers my point that what he's doing now is in fact not anything close to what you'd call old school guns n' roses.

Me and those with me don't need to resort to these tactics to keep a straight face when expressing our dedication for Axl's purely creative output. These claims you say I make about your relationship to Slash' work are not opinions or forced assumptions birthed in fantasy, they are more or less your own words. I can confidently pick a handful of songs from CD and claim this is every bit as fulfilling to me as the old band. No lie and I'm not ashamed because I believe it to be true. Your lot's argument is for the most part that Slash' thing is just better than Axl's work.

I'm not attempting to lay any claim on what should be considered great or not. If you get a boner from a Slash record all the more power to you. I'm just pointing out what your actual statements really seem to imply. And that is that you don't really think Slash is great as much as you think Axl (or both) suck. Which is fair, but then say that.

Should you happen to in fact love his work (and by work we're talking any song he puts his name to) then that's fine as well, but don't act like calling it gn'r worthy is automatically a legitimate subjective opinion. Take Headspace as an example. That might be the baddest riff I've ever heard by Slash and Duff. Put Axl on that shit and you got yourself an instant mega classic. Weiland is one thing, the guy is simply second rate compared to Axl, but after about a minute or two the song itself gets boring. They're just repeating stuff, not really building on what they already have. Halfway through I'm already tuning out. That was never the case with GN'R. Already on AFD their songs had interesting arrangements and fresh modulations. Jungle, It's So Easy, Paradise City, Rocket Queen... and that was just the beginning. On CD you have several songs with the same signature. Songs that take the necessary twists and turns to avoid turning to boredom.

And how is it that Axl's abilities as a singer exonerates Slash in his lack in finding a decent partner? He himself decides the product he wants to carry. If you write a great riff but your singer sucks, well tough luck! Mix ice cream with urine and you don't go around saying it's still kinda good. Axl actually forces his partners to come up with shit that is up to snuff or it doesn't fly. He's actually capable of crafting songs where all the important elements are enjoyable. That might not sound like GN'R to your ears, and that might not be what you consider a vital component of the old band, but like it or not it's there and it's the same. On Slash' work all these things are conspicuously absent. Basically he's doing the ol' intro, verse, chorus, repeat, solo, bring it up a notch the end. Also absent are anything even resembling a Locomotive or Coma. I'm starting to think he did those just to try and match Axl's own indulgent projects.

That says it all. What he MIGHT do. he's not doing anything yet you act like he's conquering the world. People who enjoy Slash's music don't need to hang on the internet speculation what if and if only and maybe. Slash just delivers.  The reason you're here and you admit it yourself is because you're hoping he does something not because he is doing something. So get it straight and stop acting like Slash is sucking while Axl is succeeding. Those who enjoy Slash's music don't need to hope he does somethng cool. He's already doing it. Guess it's easier to bash somthing you don't enjoy and say that "your guy" is better based on potential though. ou've gotten to the point now where it honestly seems like you are bashing Slash t make yourself feel better about Axl. I'll take results over potential every day of the week. I'll enjoy Slash's records while you keep hoping for Axl to do something

Also... In time, No I  will not feel like CD feels like Gn'R. It's been out for 5 fucking years almost. How long do I gotta wait for it to feel like Gn'R?  Axl was the voice of Guns N' Roses but I've long sinced realized what feels like Guns N' Roses is the style and tone of Slash's guitar playing. How can you sit there and seriously say Slash's playing is just the variation. Th Did you ee like theold band?  Slash's playing embodied the sound, feel, style and attitude that was GunsN' Roses. When I hear Slash play even on his new songs for me it sounds like Guns N' Roses. is tone IS Guns N' Roses every bit as much s Axl's voice was.  When I hear Axl sing anymore I hear a guy trying to sound like Axl Rose but falling short. Even on CD. His music is forced, his voice is processed and produced to a level it's almost unenjoyable on some songs. There's nothing organic about CD and it doesn't have an honesty that was Gn'R. Slash's guitar playing still embodies that.

Seriously though you gotta stop acting like Slash is lazy and uninspired while Axl is the one with creative drive and desire.

Axl is clearly not conquering any worlds again in the foreseeable future (neither is Slash for that matter). He's too insecure, unstable and butt hurt to even hope to achieve something like that. If he got it together just a little however the musical ability to do it is definitely there. He's released one album though and it's at least feasible we'll get another before we have to buy an extra cake for our birthday lights. His efforts haven't been totally for naught. It's not even close to optimal but in the that single record he eclipses the material of the ex members. I'll agree he shouldn't really be winning in that department, but given how low Slash has set the bar he actually does, quite comfortably. Obviously that's just my opinion, but it is my opinion. I hold it with a straight face.

Slash plays the game and is good at it. Now he's getting his due praise. And don't come here trying to convince me that he's drawing these crowds solely on the back of his recent efforts. He's a likeable old timer with a honey sweet relationship to the media. All of that helps to spin that perceived mystique and greatness he carries. However, the difference in atmosphere when playing a GN'R song is that of scoring a goal at Old Trafford after a 20 minute dead spell (I checked one of his 2012 concerts just to be sure, and yes it's still true). Not surprising he's without a major label. Clearly they don't see much potential in that department. He's pretty good at putting out singles where the 30 first seconds are kinda catchy though. I'll give him that, and admittedly that probably draws some people. Once people are there however it becomes clear what kinda songs bring out the most reaction and most of them are getting ooold (and co written by Axl). He draws people because he's Slash, just like Dylan draws people because he's Dylan. They're like great and all cause the media keeps saying it. For most people though the actual gig can be a test of endurance. It's a social, political correctness thing.

You're right, you'll probably never appreciate CD like I do. If you gave it some more time maybe, it's actually a fairly demanding album, but either way it's not wrong whatever you think. It's not about that though. It's that the end of the day I'll still pick up a song from CD and fill my mind with visions of dragons and great conquests, and be completely satisified, while you, after battling away the interferring mediocrity of Myles Kennedy will proclaim "This is alright n all, but I want a reunion!".

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:
johndivney wrote:

fuck i feel like the little kid watching his divorced parents bitch about stupid shit instead of talking about the good times.

re: BH Nightrain solo
i don't actually hear this reinvention tbh. i actually thought he stayed true to the 'feel'/'tone'/whatever-the-fuck of the original but then added an extra dimension, he took it a little deeper made it a little more cautionary & sadder/blue-iser(?) while still maintaining the story of the original (which is actually my all time favourite solo, not just of GnR but anyone).
i do agree w/those that say BBF doesn't carry it off as well. too twiddly, doesn't have the right attitude or power. BH was able to infuse it w/an extra layer of that elusive 'soul' while maintaining it's integrity, BBF's just seems redolent of someone tossing out the first idea that came to mind rather than appreciating the power of the song. his approach doesn't have the potency of Slash & BH's versions. they fly, albeit fly into the abyss of hell. BBF's just seems to have no impact & the current version is too glitzy, too happy-party-face rather than the scintillating dirge of previous incarnations. there's an admission in Slash & BH's solo's that is missing from BBF's, it's not a party anthem or if it is it's a party anthem for the damned which just isn't conveyed in the current line-up.
(fwfw i voted for BH Nightrain in the song of the week poll. & will do again next time. i'd have requested it actually but someone beat me to the punch somewhere along the line).

You don't have karma enabled so I'll just 22

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:
Intercourse wrote:

Bono, mate you're on a highway to nowhere here. You're up against the same stonewall you'd get at HTGTH.
Like me, you should just ignore the Axlamic Fundamentalists and enjoy music from old GNR, and now Slash, Duff and Axl for yourself and forget the other stuff, although I’m enjoying the sparring here enormously!

Calling me a fundamentalist is going to lose wings pretty fast. A fundamentalist is someone who always thinks there's a good reason Axl's late, that there's always somebody out to get him and he can't get an album out there because evil, shadowy men just won't let him. My defense of him solely concerns his creative work.

Looking at the whole thing from each “side”;

There is something quite unique in Axl's world that he seems surrounded by so much tension and unpleasantness, this radiates out from his entourage and into much of his hardcore fan base. Those closest to him and those who most support him often do so in a very unpleasant, aggressive and irrational way.

The carry on in HTGTH is toxic; Jarmo went from being a happy & chatty fan to a totalitarian dick, Team Brazil are surrounded in horror stories of arrogance, incompetance and rudeness.

Then the other shit follows on; albums, hell even fucking songs cannot get recorded, gigs cannot start on time, TV specials fall apart, interviews are exercises in knife-edge brinksmanship, band members are clueless, guitar players leave the band and refuse to utter a word about their experience in GNR, current members sound stupid and powerless when interviewed and actually seem to know less about what’s going on in the band than Jarmo when asked. Plus lawsuits with ancient vendettas inserted still get pushed into court.

The fundamental mistake that Jarmo and all the hardcores make is that we so called "haters"  call out Axl, not because we think he’s shit, it’s in fact the total opposite. We call him out because he shat all over his old band mates on his way to being CEO of GNR, promised us all it would be worth it but has delivered so piteously compared to what he did with them that its time to shout "rthe Emperor has no clothes on!!"
We want to see him succeed, but you have to call a spade a spade sometimes.

Hell, it’s a great soap opera but if people want to embrace and defend wants going on now, let them. Jarmo must be bored out of his fucking mind writing the same passive aggressive shit day-in day-out to decent fans who just ask logical questions about why their idol can’t play ball.

Slash’s world on the other hand appears peaceful and the man is playing the guitar of his life. He runs his band like most professional bands run theirs, efficiently and with their customer in mind.

Personally, I’ll take 10 songs like “Bad Rain” every two years over a song like “Scrapped” every twelve years any day. People Slash is lazy, I think we all know that is total bullshit. The man is out there on all fronts with no major label support doing it for real and the crowds are getting bigger every year.

Sure I’d agree the man needs to collaborate with more modern rockers like Cantrell or Grohl, or AXL ideally to bring out the best in him but he’s TRYING and that is always more commendable than sitting at home whining and blaming others for your every ill.

It was within reach but he didn't know when to grab it. If he had got out an album in 01/02 and managed to get out 2 or 3 more to this day of around the same quality he would probably have achieved transforming GN'R into some sort of Rose show with different eras of players. Buckethead and Finck were both talented and unique enough to be able to sell a legitimate, new band.

"The fall of Axl Rose" is pretty transparent in retrospect. After a few years of depression and not knowing what to do without Slash he got inspired by a new group of players. They put OMG together and released it quickly. Accompanying the song was a statement from Axl, going into great lengths about the meaning of the song and how the old band hadn't wanted to help him create stuff like that. Clearly he was very proud. Then the song bombed. Everything is put on hold for a time, he goes back to the studio, Buckethead joins and Robin rejoins, ok now we're ready. He books the safest gig you can do in one of his biggest markets, a festival in SA. Everything goes well and by all accounts we're looking at a tour and album to follow. The tour is booked, then cancelled. Axl claims he didn't know about it, Goldstein is ultimately fired. Clearly he still didn't feel ready. Another year goes by and the big comeback start at the VMAs. It's a decent enough event but Axl botches his vocals completely, thankfully regaining some composure on Madagascar. Finally the tour starts, but with a comment from Axl "we shouldn't wait for an album, if it happens great, if not you won't have missed anything". A fairly odd statement to make right before embarking on your Chinese Democracy Tour 2002. Tour gets a rough start, ends up being cancelled halfway because Axl missed (or somebody thought he'd miss) a show.

Then we hear almost nothing for 4 years until he decides to try again, once more he botches it by failing to deliver an album. Finally 2 years later the album is released but ends up being a nothing event. His chance was finally blown. Now he's got to decide what kind of career he's looking for in the future. Getting the cherry treatment from the media and the industry is just not going to happen for him. He needs to get material out there, letting it speak for itself. If nobody cares he can still do the cash grab thing on the live circuit. At the moment he could write the greatest song ever and people wouldn't care cause he's not liked and it's not viewed as Guns N' Roses. He needs to create a new identity. The rock star thing is sort of dead.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Dude, you're hilarious. 

Did you really say this?

Axl actually forces his partners to come up with shit that is up to snuff or it doesn't fly.

That is the most unbelieveable pile of shit case I've ever seen made on Axl's behalf.  You'd have done better by saying "Axl prefers his partners not actually do anything while waiting for him to decide what decade the next album is coming out in".

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Dude, you're hilarious. 

Did you really say this?

Axl actually forces his partners to come up with shit that is up to snuff or it doesn't fly.

That is the most unbelieveable pile of shit case I've ever seen made on Axl's behalf.  You'd have done better by saying "Axl prefers his partners not actually do anything while waiting for him to decide what decade the next album is coming out in".

I never said he was prolific. What's out there is still pretty great.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Dude, you're hilarious. 

Did you really say this?

I never said he was prolific. What's out there is still pretty great.

Well, in your opinion it's pretty great.  General perception doesn't hold it in quite the regard you do.  Even those that like it admit there are some pretty major flaws with it, so "up to snuff or it doesn't fly" doesn't really apply no matter how you twist it.  Same can be said of the new lineup...I don't know many people that would say all 8 of them are "up to snuff" either, though to be fair I don't know anyone that says up to snuff either.

pi2loc
 Rep: 2 

pi2loc wrote:

I truly feel sorry for Bumblefoot. The guy wants to record new music but he can't and unfortunately he has no voice in that regard.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

The holdup has been revealed, lack of funds. Axl is working on it though.

Board footer