You are not logged in. Please register or login.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Re: Bring Back Robin Finck "Tank"

Also, I like Robin's versions of the old solos, changes and all. Why? Because there's feeling in there. I like players (and singers) who wear their heart on their sleeve; the likes of DJ and Myles hit the notes but seem to be going through the motions, a pastiche of a rockstar. When Robin tortures one of those atonal bends out, I dig it because he's pouring his emotion into that guitar. I'd much rather that than DJ's soulless, "rock star" posturing – which always come across like he's acting a part.

Bumblefoot I have less of an issue with; I don't like his twiddly technical flourishes on the old songs, but I don't mind them because that's how he expresses his emotion through his guitar.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

polluxlm wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

No point? So far he's proven to be a far better songwriter than DJ.

Not sure about that...to my knowledge Robin's only songwriting credit is Better...DJ has commercially successful writing credits with Sixx:AM and Motley Crue under his belt.

Unless you mean because Axl released an Album with a Robin song on it and not with DJ.

But if we're going to transmute Axl's decisions on to the band members you'd have to note a bunch of stuff that wouldn't go down well....like Slash was able to get 5 EPs/Albums out of Axl.....and that when Robin and Bucket were in the band not only did they not get an album out (until BOTH members had quit) and that the only tour they lanched with that line up in 2002 also went belly-up.

So it's better to consider what the members can do separately from what they do when with Axl.

And DJ has proven himself to be able to walk the line between classic rock and relevant to the current rock audience very well.

I'm no expert on DJs stuff, but from what I've heard I prefer Robin. Both the way he plays guitar and how he structures his solos.

And I don't really think it was the writing that hindered a release from the 02 band. It was Axl being an insecure perfectionist and having the freedom to work on it forever. Buckethead and Finck put down some great stuff, many fans agree and from what we hear so does Axl. Not getting the desired reaction from "the world" whenever new music surfaced seems to have been the major hold up.

Bono wrote:

DJ's Ballad of Death trumps everything on CD in my opinion.

http://www.celebitchy.com/wp-content/up … aAxl16.jpg

More likely the hold up was record industry people holding up the release in hopes of getting a reunion. Zutaut has said that the album was ready in 2001; then Fortus came on board and they re-recorded Huge's parts (fair enough). It was ready to go, but people kept telling Axl "There are no hits on this album." Which is bullshit – a properly-marketed Better or TWAT or Madagascar in 2002 would've done just fine. But management/company people kept telling Axl the record wasn't ready, in hopes of forcing a reunion. It backfired; instead of doing what they wanted, he was his usual stubborn self and said, "Okay, well it's obviously missing something, I'll keep tinkering."

Oh, also: if Axl thought Ballad of Death was any cop, he would've taken it and turned it into a song. Likewise Bumblefoot's Simple Days, which IIRC he pitched to Axl as a GN'R track.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Yeah, I've heard about that too. But does that situation go that far back? Would explain quite a bit though. Fuck the industry. CD has plenty of hits if you just market it right. I remember the first time I played the better demo to some friends of mine who only like the hits and their reaction was simply "wow".

There's more than 1 movie to be made about this circus, that's for sure.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Yeah, I've heard about that too. But does that situation go that far back? Would explain quite a bit though. Fuck the industry. CD has plenty of hits if you just market it right. I remember the first time I played the better demo to some friends of mine who only like the hits and their reaction was simply "wow".

There's more than 1 movie to be made about this circus, that's for sure.

Yeah same i thought better was the next sweet child

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Bono wrote:
misterID wrote:

YES! YES! YES!

finck 9

I don't even give a shit about new music from THIS line up. I don't care about new Ron and DJ songs. Robin and Bucket are the only era I care about hearing from. Make this happen. Now.

misterID wrote:

Thing is, most of the 2002 band is STILL in the band. And I'm open to their new music. That's what we call being consistent, home boy. 15

16 I've never seen so much consistency in my life home boy.

I'll keep reading to see if there's a rebuttal, but this is a pretty major contradiction any way you slice it and it all happened in less than 24 hours.  Pretty hard to claim to be consistent when you aren't even being consistent in a 24 hour window (IMO).

Lomax wrote:

What is with the utter asshattery in this thread? Typical internet one-upmanship. People can't change their minds now? .... jesus

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Riad wrote:

What is with the utter asshattery in this thread? Typical internet one-upmanship. People can't change their minds now? .... jesus

Sure they can, just not every 30 minutes while claiming to be saying the same thing they've been saying all along.  I think I'm the poster child for changing my mind on things after seeing Axl and Slash last year and nobody is giving me a hard time about it.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Bono wrote:
misterID wrote:

YES! YES! YES!

finck 9

I don't even give a shit about new music from THIS line up. I don't care about new Ron and DJ songs. Robin and Bucket are the only era I care about hearing from. Make this happen. Now.

misterID wrote:

Thing is, most of the 2002 band is STILL in the band. And I'm open to their new music. That's what we call being consistent, home boy. 15

16 I've never seen so much consistency in my life home boy.

I'll keep reading to see if there's a rebuttal, but this is a pretty major contradiction any way you slice it and it all happened in less than 24 hours.  Pretty hard to claim to be consistent when you aren't even being consistent in a 24 hour window (IMO).

Didn't I just post a youtube clip of all of DJ's recorded solos and say I can't picture Axl singing on any of them? Haven't I given Ron a hard time about his solo wiriting ability? I've always said I'd be open to a GN'R song they wrote, and hoped to be pleasantly surprised, but not expecting much. Made it clear I'm still here because of (mainly) Axl, Tommy and Mother Goose and what they bring.

What did I say last night that was any different? I'm not interested in their music, I'm interested in the vault. Said that many times, along with others here. But I'm open to anything new. Been very clear about that.

If you have me saying something different than I did last night, I'd love to see it.

ereeper
 Rep: 14 

ereeper wrote:

This is a no brainer.  Kick DJ out and put Robin back in.  Finck is original and has his own stage presence.  I can do with out the Hulk Hogan hand to ear and fist pounding the heart.  Finck plays with emotion and DJ is trying to sell clothing.  blah

Board footer