You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Re: Bring Back Robin Finck "Tank"

Gibbo wrote:

21 on CD would be fucken killer no doubt about it

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

well gnr tooted the moving on horn for years...industrial influence finck/vrenna in the fold, pitman/dizzy with huge parts, moby on board, think an album in line with OMG

so yeah Slash wouldnt fit into that mould...in fact all signs pointing to that direction is exactly one of the reasons why duff and slash left

somewhere along the line axl tried to go back to traditional rock sound...i think slash could do some cool stuff on CD...they would'v been very different songs tho

i'm not a fan of most of Robiins interpretations...i dont think that is a secret 16

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

Meanwhile...most of Chinese Democracy if you approach it with just the drums, bass, synth and vox and no guitar parts....would be completely within slash's style...once he added his solos and rhythm styles to There Was A Time, Street of Dreams, Prostitute, Madagascar, If the World, Sorry, Catcher in the Rye, This I love.....they would IMMEDIATELY sound like UYI era songs just with a few more effects and synth.

There it is ID. Monkey said it better and clearer than I did. This is the core of my point. CD is an album full of good songs, but when you strip them down, they are all built the same way as UYI tunes.

To say that " I don't think Slash meshes well with that style of music" makes no sense to me. The "style" you refer to is just a few synths over the same building blocks GNR always used. How would Slash not be able to layer up appropriate guitar against what are in essence are bells & whistles.

I would have liked to see what Slash would have done up against Robin's tunes.  Matt was right, they could have been a great pairing.

I would really like to you to pick a song on CD and tell me why you think Slash could have never been a part of it. I'm not trying to be a dick, I think we may be discussing different things and I'm just trying to find your point and give it some thought.

Cheers.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Well you and Monkey are both wrong smile

I've pointed out that Chinese Democracy the song, I don't think Slash could produce anything better than what's there. That's my point. Outside TIL, The Blues and Catcher, I don't think Slash could produce anything to the song that is better than what's there.

And we're not talking about stripping down songs, we are talking about EXISTING songs, the way they are, as is, and Slash playing over them. They just don't fit his style, imo. You guys are talking about totally changing the songs, that's not what I'm talking about. Nearly every song on CD would not exist otherwise.

johndivney wrote:

There's not one song on CD that Slash couldn't have played on & improved.

His style IS GnR, it's meant to be a GnR album. He's far more versatile than mrID is giving him credit for.
He'd have made any of those songs better.

misterID

misterID wrote:

At the end of the day, it's personal taste. I think the songs are perfect the way they are and I can't see Slash, DJ or anyone else doing a better job on these songs. NOt saying they couldn't do a good job, but to me, I like the songs the way they are. And Slash's solo work, which is what I'm going on, doesn't mesh with the songs on CD.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:

At the end of the day, it's personal taste. I think the songs are perfect the way they are and I can't see Slash, DJ or anyone else doing a better job on these songs. NOt saying they couldn't do a good job, but to me, I like the songs the way they are. And Slash's solo work, which is what I'm going on, doesn't mesh with the songs on CD.

For clarification purposes, are you saying that Axl could have sang on any of Slash's post GnR suff and it would have been better?

NoKnownName
 Rep: 11 

NoKnownName wrote:

In response to all the arguing about how Slash would fit in on CD, here's this: [youtube]watch?v=f8abCYx3GSA[/youtube]

NoKnownName
 Rep: 11 

NoKnownName wrote:
misterID

misterID wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
misterID wrote:

For clarification purposes, are you saying that Axl could have sang on any of Slash's post GnR suff and it would have been better?

On any of them? This is a hard question because of how much I don't like Myles and I think it would be easier for Axl to adapt to Slashs music, than I think Slash adapting to Axl's. It depends on the song. Like, I think Slash would make Catcher a better song. I'm really attached to Robin's solo on TIL, but I'm sure he could do something special there. I think Slash could do something cool on IRS. I think there are songs Axl would sound better on than the singer he was using.

I was going to ask if it was possible for the guy who does those meshes if he could add Slash's guitar to a CD song, instead of Axl's vocals to a VR/Slash solo album.

Board footer