You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

Re: Slash v. Van Halen argument leads to arrest.

RaZor wrote:

Are all our forum members accounted for?

http://www.antimusic.com/news/13/March/ … rest.shtml

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I can say it wasn't me.  Funny story.  Though I think most of the fights we've had here would never be as bad in person, I wonder if anything ever would have come to blows...  I'm not a fighter at all, but I could have seen myself losing it on jimbob back in the day.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Not to put words in his mouth, but I think I remember Bono offering to fight Axl once to demonstrate that Axl's stage bravado to fans is based on the wall of security between them.

I actually disagreed with that...there's plenty of times when Axl's stones have got him his ass kicked...especially against police...I think when he's really angry he just doesn't care what happens.....

VH vs Slash is an interesting argument....they're both immediately recognisable players on a recording - VH has the innovation in that my understanding is that he's pretty much responsible for the tapping era and thus that part of the evolution of metal. Slash on the other hand is one of the absolute guitar heros of his generation - and I think it rock of all time - he's got a killer catalogue, iconic image - and while he's perhaps not an innovator - he stands above the others who did a similar style before him - and his ability to bring something to a song or band is pretty much unparalleled.

It's probably a case of saying is salty food better than sweet food....they're both amazing....Slash is my all time fav so I'll give it to him...but you have to respect the tapping master too.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I'd take Slash too.  Not because VH sucks, but Slash has always been my favorite.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:

They're both great, no doubt, but Slash just brings something special to the table. Just his tone and the way he plays is something on it's own that can't be replicated. VH is more of a show off imo.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:

I've always found it kind of funny and maybe a little sad that EVH inspired thousands of kids to pick up the guitar, but his style is so specific that none of them can play like him because they'll be accused of ripping him off. 

That's also part of why I like Slash so much more.  Blues bases is versatile and can slide in anywhere, it's just his tone that's so iconic and can be pretty quickly recognized in whatever he's playing on.

johndivney wrote:

Slash has the tone & the songs for me
Evh is awesome, mind blowing in his own way but I dunno if he'd even make my top 10 fave guitarists.

RaZor

RaZor wrote:

As my former coworker would say, EVH pays in key. smile

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

EVH actually plays more chromatic out of place notes than Slash could ever dream about.  EVH goes out of the box a lot, but usually when he is hauling ass so you don't notice it.

RaZor

RaZor wrote:

You know, I was thinking the same thing, but wasn't sure. But my coworker loved EVH and loathed Slash.

Board footer