You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Son of a Gun
 Rep: -3 

Re: STONE TEMPLE PILOTS return with CHESTER BENNINGTON as their FRONTMAN!

Son of a Gun wrote:
justbill wrote:

As much as I prefer the original Stone Temple Pilots (instead of this), the band has put up with Scott's shit for two decades-plus... A line has to be drawn somewhere. Props to the band for wanting to move forward, with or without him. Scott acts like he's the sole-owner of STP and he was responsible for their success. Well, the band did their part in building STP, right along with Weiland... Whether he wants to admit it or not.

Having said that, this is only 'one song' they recorded with Chester, it remains to be seen if the band decides to stick with him (even though the press photos are all over the site). There's no OFFICIAL confirmation the Chester's their frontman. Chester himself stated (on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ChesterBe/status/335998445691219968), he'll never leave LP. Dean DeLeo even said: "We know Linkin Park will always be his priority, but we thought it would be cool to try something together..." So, it remains to be seen if the band decides to stick with him and record an entire album, later down the road. It'll be an interesting couple of weeks or months... That's for sure.

Besides tonight's concert (at BFD 2013). Stone Temple Pilots are performing on 5.30.13 at Club Nokia, in LA... Scott Weiland has a show at the House of Blues on 5.29.13 in West Hollywood with a day off, the next night. Scott, go check out the STP show! See what you've been missing, wake the fuck up. Please.

Well, I`m aware of all that. I know Scott has put them through lots of shit but they at least could find someone better for this one off collaboration.

justbill
 Rep: 16 

justbill wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:

Well, I`m aware of all that. I know Scott has put them through lots of shit but they at least could find someone better for this one off collaboration.

Look at it this way, it's a business and when one of your partners isn't able to bring what he's supposed to bring to the table... Hey (in the coming weeks, months) maybe he will, maybe he won't. But, if he doesn't bring it then you gotta let him go. Whether WE (the fans) like it, it's a business and money has to be made. I've gotta hand it to the DeLeo's and Kretz. I mean while Scott's going out on some small-club tour, butchering the very songs he helped create. These guys may already be in or have completed some serious talks with Chester and his management, to make one hell of a splash on a Summer/Fall tour. MAY BE.

Don't get me wrong... Scott's my favorite member of the band, but he got himself into the position he's in and was a bit arrogant in some interviews. Having said that, a choice had to be made and the choice was to fire his ass and replace him. This was a classy "F-U" to Scott... They never said a word, they planned something out and this was executed perfectly. And they did it with a well-known singer to attract a more broader audience. To get the press talking and, mission accomplished (for the most part).

I can't honestly say I'm a massive fan of the song, but I didn't like 'Between the Lines' at first either. So, we'll see if it grows on me and the others (all across the globe) who are listening to the track for the first time, today.

Son of a Gun
 Rep: -3 

Son of a Gun wrote:

Despite his shortcomings and shenanigans Scott is or rather was just like Axl, a phenominal vocalist here`s the proof http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsqdvTYK6dE
His gritty baritone was crucial element of STP`s sound.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Even though I'm a fan of Linkin Park and Chester's voice, I agree I can't see STP going without Scott's voice. It's part of the sound. Yeah Scott's an asshole and these guys deserve to play with or without him in any situation they can. Just don't see the Chester combination working with the rest of the pilots' sound; so I think I'll pass for the time being.  Wish them the best of success though.

justbill

justbill wrote:

Not doubting Scott's vocal range, I love the work he did on "Come On, Come In" he was all over the place. But, that was then and this is his voice now.

There's going to be a lot of people who may not like Chester's vocal range on these songs, but it kinda brings back the vibe of the old "live Weiland" we all know and miss. I definitely understand why people do not like Chester's voice, because it starts there. Chester's getting used to singing the STP songs in the current register they're in. Remember, these are not in his normal range, they're "tailored-made" for Scott obviously. But he (Chester) did all of the classics a little justice, last night.

Scott's had wildly bad nights since '08, the last STP tour is proof of it. From lack of ticket sales, to their album flopping... I could go on. Scott needs to find Scott hahaha if that makes any sense. I want to the original band back as well. I know I'm not going to get any of you to jump on board, that's not my job. But, until Scott and the band decides to grow up, I'm willing to give this a chance, having STP around making music is better than NO STP. Scott needs to treat the band that helped put him on the map, with a little more respect. Velvet Revolver isn't coming back anytime in the foreseeable future. Time to put the egos aside and get back with STP, release a real album with the true STP sound.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Thought the clip was blah...but tbh they have only a handful of decent offerings since tiny music...I'm a huge STP fan but they need to reassess their musical direction...maybe it's just difficult for singers to write lyrics to the songs they come up with musically?

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

RaZor wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Certainly sounds interesting.

I love Scott with STP, but at moments in the song, Chester sounds quite similar to Scott, and the instrumental side of things sounds pretty cool.

He sounds nothing like Scott. His vocals is too whiney and high pitched.

I agree Chaz sounds like Scott on pieces of the the track, I don't think it's the voice as much as the production. The echo effect makes it sound like Scott's STP, I think.

His voice doesn't bother me, but I'm not sure how I feel about the lyrics yet. But not a bad rock tune, I'll check out the rest of the album.

justbill

justbill wrote:

Well, for now... Chester's the frontman for both bands and pretty much confirmed everything from a new album, claim a tour is in the works. Little interesting bit where Dean DeLeo (jokingly) said Scott "changed his number(s) years ago, and never forward them to us..." You can check out at the link below. KROQ interviewed the band, following their surprise set (last night).

Link: http://kroq.cbslocal.com/2013/05/18/sur … t-of-time/

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Didn't mind this clip I must say...didn't hate it didn't love it...but i'd check it out.

Something like this happening will probably push scott deeper into a mess though.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

He cant hold Scotts dick
that was fuckin terrible and a disgrace

Board footer