You are not logged in. Please register or login.

christina_rose
 Rep: 15 

Re: River City Rock Fest - San Antonio, Texas May 26, 2013

Alright you guys. I have my review. I want to preface and say that its probably going to be biased, but I'm going to try really hard to give you an honest opinion.

Before that, I want to say something. I know we here on the boards and as fans have heard the same setlist and songs for what seems like forever. Hell, last night I realized I've seen GN'R since 2002. Many of you here probably go as far back as the 80s or 90s. So by now the songs are probably tired, and old. But honestly? There's four albums worth of material. FOUR. That's not a very large catalog of music to pick from. Yeah, I remember seeing them before CD was even a rumor, when they busted out with Better and Street of Dreams. Sure sometime I wish he'd sing something no one has heard before. But, I've been to shows where people have sang along with the CD songs, and I've been to shows where the crowd is quiet save for those few die hards that know those songs. There's still people out there who haven't heard the CD songs, there were people there last night who have NEVER seen GN'R in concert. So for us as diehard fans, its the same old same old.

That being said, what I saw last night was Axl Rose having fun. He was smiling, he was genuine when he thanked the fans in between songs. You could see that he truly appreciated the crowd. At least that's how I saw it. He even slipped at one point, and just kept right on going. He nailed Jungle. He needs to stay away from Estranged. He was pretty reserved most of the night as far as not running back and forth across the stage. His voice does come and go. Some songs he's got it, and others...its tough. But at the end of the day, I am just truly grateful that he shows up, and that he still puts forth the effort.

So, take it for what its worth.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Thanks for the review, glad you enjoyed the show!

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Is 18 GnR  songs (or officially released covers) pretty standard for a festival?  I know there are some time limitations, but that seems low to me.

Not sure. How many songs did the other acts play? Or least Alice in Chains? Or did GNR have more time than the other acts? Really not sure how it all works during the festivals.

Glad you had a good time Chrstina. 9

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

846d1a22c68111e2904e22000a1f928e_7.jpg

941528_10151629877741907_1804762100_n.jpg

BLPqCRzCEAEzV9h.jpg:large

christina_rose
 Rep: 15 

Alice in Chains went on I want to say 8:05, and played until 9:20 ish. Guns came on at 10:20, and played until 12:30 or so. Two hours for a festival seems long to me, but I'm not complaining.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

My only complaint is when u have a shorter time leaving the bullshit solos in

what a waste

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
christina_rose wrote:

Alright you guys. I have my review. I want to preface and say that its probably going to be biased, but I'm going to try really hard to give you an honest opinion.

Before that, I want to say something. I know we here on the boards and as fans have heard the same setlist and songs for what seems like forever. Hell, last night I realized I've seen GN'R since 2002. Many of you here probably go as far back as the 80s or 90s. So by now the songs are probably tired, and old. But honestly? There's four albums worth of material. FOUR. That's not a very large catalog of music to pick from. Yeah, I remember seeing them before CD was even a rumor, when they busted out with Better and Street of Dreams. Sure sometime I wish he'd sing something no one has heard before. But, I've been to shows where people have sang along with the CD songs, and I've been to shows where the crowd is quiet save for those few die hards that know those songs. There's still people out there who haven't heard the CD songs, there were people there last night who have NEVER seen GN'R in concert. So for us as diehard fans, its the same old same old.

That being said, what I saw last night was Axl Rose having fun. He was smiling, he was genuine when he thanked the fans in between songs. You could see that he truly appreciated the crowd. At least that's how I saw it. He even slipped at one point, and just kept right on going. He nailed Jungle. He needs to stay away from Estranged. He was pretty reserved most of the night as far as not running back and forth across the stage. His voice does come and go. Some songs he's got it, and others...its tough. But at the end of the day, I am just truly grateful that he shows up, and that he still puts forth the effort.

So, take it for what its worth.

Well said.  The shows are still good, despite what some people may post on facebook.  Axl has dug his own grave with a lot of people and just won't be able to win them over.  I'm talking about non-GNR fans mostly, or casual fans who lost interest when Slash left.  But I concur that when I saw them live a few years back, it looked like Axl was having a blast up on stage.  That's worth a lot in my book.

Sure we all want new music and for this current lineup to muster more of an identity.  They may get there one day, but let's stop expecting it to happen with every show they play.  Or better yet, when it doesn't happen, feel the need to complain about the fact that it didn't happen.  We get it and we all realize the significance.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

cool review christina

glad you had a good time...i hope he doesn't drop estranged from the set before i get to see them again lol

from what i can remember from past set lists was like 24 songs total incl covers but not solos

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I dunno about American festivals but over here it's pretty common to have a slightly reduced set unless you are the absolute top headline act and even then maybe reduced compared to a private show.

I agree regarding the set list - I think considering they only have 4 albums - and it's natural to play most of the hits as you get older - they're doing what's logical in terms of AFD/lies/UYI

Although I think the CD songs could be changed up more often. That's why the 2009 japan shows seemed so fresh - they played all the unusual CD tracks.

I do wish they'd use the aerosmith model though and release a new album - even if they only play 1 song from it live.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Great review and I agree with most points on the solos and the covers. If they included OMG (which may be hard for Axl to pull off well live, don't really know), a few UYI cuts, and maybe Atlas or a new song. Since bumblefoot said it was almost on Chinese; but cut due to the cd's space. I mean..Goin' Down I know we all want to hear. I still want to see them live when they come to the U.S. It will be my first time and I know i'll enjoy the show either way it goes.

Board footer