You are not logged in. Please register or login.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

Re: Sean Beavan interview (2012)

apex-twin wrote:

Sean with his wife Juliette.
==================

I see you worked with Tommy Stinson. I'm a huge Replacements fan, so that's awesome as well.

Sean Beavan: He's a great guy. Juliette sang backup on that record. Tommy's actually like a really, really good friend. We got to know each other during when I was working on Guns N' Roses.

Which album that was?

Sean Beavan: The Chinese Democracy record.

Oh, boy...

Sean Beavan: Yeah, I worked on it from like '98 to 2000, something like that.

Juliette Beavan: It was two years.

Sean Beavan: Two years, yeah.

So, have you heard it? Have you heard the finished product?

Sean Beavan: I did hear the finished product.

And are your fingerprints on it at all?

Sean Beavan: You know, it's funny. I thought, it came out 12 years after I did it or something, but I was surprised 'cause Roy Thomas Baker took over and then some other people were doing some stuff on it, and I figured there'd be nothing on there. It turns out almost every vocal track was a vocal track I did. 

Really?

Sean Beavan: Yeah, it's like really crazy. I don't think he sang after I [left].

That's what a lot of people are questioning, when those vocal tracks were [recorded], because you couldn't really tell, a lot people thought it was really layered, with some stuff from ten years ago, some stuff from today, you know...

Sean Beavan: Yeah, it seemed like there's a lot in there, and to Axl's credit, he's one of those guys, who's really meticulous at giving credit where credit is due and stuff. In the credits, he credited every single little thing I did and I was really surprised [laughs].

Juliette Beavan: And he makes a mean Margarita.

Sean Beavan: And he makes a damn mean Margarita. When we bought our house here, he came over to the housewarming party, and he got there around two in the morning, or midnight, and he started making Margaritas for everybody in the house and that was just awesome. So, to have Axl Rose making Margaritas for your friends... Our daughter got to ride a ferris wheel at his house too, on Halloween. It was awesome.

Juliette Beavan: She threatened to make him into a ham sandwhich.

Sean Beavan: Yeah, he was dressed as a pig and she threatened to make him into a ham sandwhich.

http://www.thepwashow.com/episode-27-8mm-interview/

Axl’s main Vocals: Chinese Democracy, Prostitute, If The World, There Was A Time, Madagascar, Riad N’ The Bedouins, I.R.S., Street Of Dreams recorded by Sean Beavan, engineered by Critter, re-edited, processed and engineered by Caram Costanzo (all Axl’s vocals produced by Axl).

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Something interesting about this to me....

2000-2002 - almost no live rasp used. Breath control didn't seem as strong as normal.

2006-2009ish - huge rasp used / lots of powerful screams.

2012-13 - mostly not much rasp used, breath control back low.

But from this interview...it would seem some of the most powerful rasp parts from the album like TWAT and IRS would have been recorded just before or during the no-rasp live era.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

I never really took his 02 singing voice to be his only voice, just that he didn't have the confidence or control over his raspy voice in a live setting to use it too frequently. In a studio he could stand still and sing a line as many times as he liked until it was right, you can't do that in front of 20,000 people so he went with what he felt was a safer more reliable option vocally.

What I find interesting is that everybody involved in the project suggests the songs changed very little from 01/02 up to release, whether that's vocally or musically, excluding a few minor additions from Ron & Fortus etc. If that was the case why did it all fall apart in 06? The timing was right, the momentum was behind the band, clearly the songs changed very little between then and 08, that was the time to drop CD and yet for whatever reason they choked and the same album was released two years later with no momentum behind it to a world that'd lost interest. Had it dropped in 06 I think CD and GNR would have been a bigger animal.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

It does seem like the stage was set in 2006.

Those NYC gigs, and Axl looked and sounded great, Bumble around and everything seemed in place and with stuff like the trunk radio appearance the media even seemed ready to play ball.

Here's a question...has Beavem spoken of how many tracks he produced vocals for? I'd like it if theres more vintage 99 Axl voice on the next record personally.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Agree, Monkey.

I like those 99 demos, but I really like what Caram brought to the production.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Here we go...

Apparently he worked on around 35 songs.

(http://www.antiquiet.com/interviews/200 … -with-8mm/)

That does open up the possibility for more 99 sounding Axl voice on the next record. \m/

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Here we go...

Apparently he worked on around 35 songs.

(http://www.antiquiet.com/interviews/200 … -with-8mm/)

That does open up the possibility for more 99 sounding Axl voice on the next record. \m/

That's if he doesn't re-re-record them. 16

Nice find, Monkey.

apex-twin

apex-twin wrote:

There's certainly enough Beavan tracks to cover another album. If we look at how many of his tracks did go on CD, we get 9 songs. 35 - 9 = 26.

There's Atlas Shrugged and others; musically, I'd assume they'd include Bumblefoot and Ashba, but Axl might as well keep the vocal deliveries.

Sky Dog wrote:

Again, Tommy specifically said there were 22 other tracks done that didn't make it on Chinese....good find on the interview Apex

apex-twin

apex-twin wrote:

Yeah, the twenty-six tracks I counted were Beavan tracks not included on CD.

'We're working on thirty-two songs, and twenty-six are nearly done,' he says. Of those, thirteen are slated for the final album. [...] Among Rose's favorites are 'Better,' 'There Was a Time' and 'The Blues.'" (Rolling Stone, 01/18/06)

CD leaves us with 18 songs on the 2006 list. The additional 4 can be old Beavan tracks and/or subsequent material.

But there's definitely an albums worth of material readied. Axl's either too chicken to release it or has a serious clusterfuck going on with the label.

Board footer