You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

Re: In a perfect world.

RaZor wrote:

Thinking of what U2 and Metallica GH's would be. U2 has only had 4 single in reach the top ten in the US Mainstream Rock Charts since Anchung Baby. They've had a ton more overseas, but I've never listened to them, so I can't judge. Of the songs that made it here, I liked Beautiful Day and Vertigo.

Metallica have had 13: Until it sleeps, hero of the day, king nothing, the memory remains, turn the page, fuel, whiskey in the jar, no leaf clover, I disappear, st anger, the day that never comes, cyanide, all nightmare long.

That's a pretty badass album, but in all seriousness, while I like most of those songs, I'm also very bored with most of them. CD on the other hand, I still listen to.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Don't get me wrong...I think CD is awesome...but then it also seems the guts of those awesome songs were written in small periods of time....some in 1999, some in 2006 or whenever you historians say it was.

People talk about how the album took 15 years or whatever. But it's almost more like it took 1 year but the time was divided up over several decades.

And did the songs improve? I do like the finished versions better, but many don't, and you have to wonder what else has been lost that could have been done.

While GNR is my fav band....it seems that when you point out how other bands from the era are now 7 albums in front or whatever...the response is always..."but GNR does better music" - but I think I reject the premise that those things are connected....you either like GNR more than metallica because you prefer a song like TWAT to a song like Puppets or whatever...but I don't think puppets was going to become TWAT if only metallica took a decade to make it.

I've come to a place where I don't understand why we can't just put the band together in a studio for a couple of months and see if they come up with anything. Even a home studio if you want to save money. But the inaction is just toxic.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:

Sometimes, I wish he could just get in a room with someone like Trent Reznor... And actually listen to the guy's advice. Fuck... The whole band.

2 months... New album... released. Produced by NINnypants.

Shit, he could probably get Axl in the gym, too... wink

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

What has Trent done since The Fragile? Axl just needs to get out what he and the band has made, good or bad. OMG didn't get a wide release because it was a bad song, it was because other people and Axl lost faith in it. The song is great.

Furbush

Furbush wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

What has Trent done since The Fragile?

You're kidding, right?

Since "The Spaghetti Incident?" was released in 1993:

-The Downward Spiral 1994

-The Fragile 1999

-With Teeth 2005

-Year Zero 2007

-Ghosts I-IV 2008

- The Slip 2008

-Hesitation Marks 2013

Not to mention:

Further Down the Spiral

Things Falling Apart

Year Zero Remixed

And All That Could Have Been (live)

Videos:

Closure

And All That Could Have Been

Beside You in Time

Another Version of the Truth

Oh.. and ALL THIS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trent_Reznor_discography

Is that enough? The fucking guy is productive, and I think Uncle Axl would benefit from having a guy like that in his ear. If he's just not going to write or record new music anymore, that's fine.. I'm all for making the music in your heart, and not forcing it. That just produces garbage, IMO...

If that's the case, So be it. But, for fucking shit's sake, Mr. Rose,  just release the CD sessions shit that's locked away. Quit fucking tinkering with the shit and let it go. There shouldn't be any worries left as far as tarnishing some legacy.. That ship has sailed.

If you still DO wanna make music.. With or without the musicians you currently have on the payroll, give Trent a buzz. He's clearly a dude that knows how to get stuff done, and harness creativity at an astounding level. Drop the ego, and let the man guide you along your path.. Free of all of the things that are holding you back.

I have no doubt the results would floor everyone. Regardless of genre.

Son of a Gun
 Rep: -3 

Son of a Gun wrote:

Trent`s last good album was  "With Teeth ".

Son of a Gun
 Rep: -3 

Son of a Gun wrote:
Furbush wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

You're kidding, right?

-The Fragile 1999

-With Teeth 2005

-Year Zero 2007

-Ghosts I-IV 2008

- The Slip 2008

-Hesitation Marks 2013

Not to mention:

Further Down the Spiral

Things Falling Apart

Year Zero Remixed

Videos:

Closure

Beside You in Time

Oh.. and ALL THIS:

Is that enough? The fucking guy is productive, and I think Uncle Axl would benefit from having a guy like that in his ear. If he's just not going to write or record new music anymore, that's fine.. I'm all for making the music in your heart, and not forcing it. That just produces garbage, IMO...

If that's the case, So be it. But, for fucking shit's sake, Mr. Rose,  just release the CD sessions shit that's locked away. Quit fucking tinkering with the shit and let it go. There shouldn't be any worries left as far as tarnishing some legacy.. That ship has sailed.

If you still DO wanna make music.. With or without the musicians you currently have on the payroll, give Trent a buzz. He's clearly a dude that knows how to get stuff done, and harness creativity at an astounding level. Drop the ego, and let the man guide you along your path.. Free of all of the things that are holding you back.

Axl and Trent are n`t exactly best buddies. I don`t think Trent would agree to work with Axl even if Axl called him.

Furbush

Furbush wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:
Furbush wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

You're kidding, right?

-The Fragile 1999

-With Teeth 2005

-Year Zero 2007

-Ghosts I-IV 2008

- The Slip 2008

-Hesitation Marks 2013

Not to mention:

Further Down the Spiral

Things Falling Apart

Year Zero Remixed

Videos:

Closure

Beside You in Time

Oh.. and ALL THIS:

Axl and Trent are n`t exactly best buddies. I don`t think Trent would agree to work with Axl even if Axl called him.

A man can dream. 5

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

Oh hell yeah! That would be a miracle and a dream come true for alot of us here. I know Axl is a big fan of Trent's work.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

I hear ya. The guy is almost dead, creatively speaking. I'm a huge NIN fan, The Downward Spiral is among my very favourite 10 albums, but his last good record was Fragile. He's still been very active since then, but the music lacks and he doesn't really have anything to say anymore. It's just the "a song for NIN fans" routine in NIN cliches.

I don't think that any memorable could come from a supposed collaboration, although some people here acted like even Blood in the Water would have been something amazing. So it'd have dozens of fans. But not more.

polluxlm wrote:

Axl just needs to get out what he and the band has made, good or bad. OMG didn't get a wide release because it was a bad song, it was because other people and Axl lost faith in it. The song is great.

Well, Axl was great, full of venom, full of anger, full of energy, full of message. But the music sucked. It was horrible. A badly written, uninspired song, with some out-of-tune guitars here and there. Even if they had promoted it a lot, it would have gone to the same place, the garbage can.

But. I think after all these years Axl must have some material worth releasing. I'm not a fan of CD, but hey, even an album in that quality would be better than jerking with CD remixes and tribute tours. Sadly enough, I'm afraid Axl burnt out a long time ago. He had been struggling creatively for years, partly because he had to realize he wasn't Guns N' Roses himself, partly because he's bipolar in everything - sometimes a maximalist, sometimes a lazy ass, sometimes overconfident, sometimes insecure. Those recording years sucked the energy out of him, combined with the was against the label. Anyway, I think he's done and the only thing we can hope is the CD2 album in some years.

Board footer