You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bloodflower
 Rep: 8 

Re: In a perfect world.

Bloodflower wrote:

I prefer bands that are at least trying to be creative. Metallica, NIN, bon Jovi, U2, Pearl Jam etc etc  all bands that have been ragged on here recently but name any band that continues to release music that their fans enjoy and you'll have the nay sayers of course saying they're creativley done. Still better to be out there delivering something rather than nothing. If some people perefer Axl's 1 album ever 15 years thing all the power to them.  Me I'll take consistent releases with the hopes somthing great materializes. Lots of people believe The Cure hasn't done anything worthwhile since Wish but that's a load of bull. Wild Mood Swings is great and Bloodflowers is possibley their best album. The Cure was not bad, 4:13 Dream left a lot to be desired but 2014 looks to be another Cure release and I'll take another release with the chance it's great over nothing.  Axl is doing nothing so........ like I said all the power to those who prefer his appraoch,  I just don't understand it.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

^ I agree.

To be honest even the 'modern' releases of classic acts give me something I like usually.

There's always at least a track or two I dig...and in some cases I really like how the band evolves and changes (eg megadeth)

Son of a Gun
 Rep: -3 

Son of a Gun wrote:

I call " Axl is creatively burnt " opinion bullshit I`m sure he composes music and writes lyrics all the time but he either does n`t want to put them out or he`s burnt all bridges with label. I`ll lean towards second.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Bloodflower wrote:

I prefer bands that are at least trying to be creative. Metallica, NIN, bon Jovi, U2, Pearl Jam etc etc  all bands that have been ragged on here recently but name any band that continues to release music that their fans enjoy and you'll have the nay sayers of course saying they're creativley done. Still better to be out there delivering something rather than nothing. If some people perefer Axl's 1 album ever 15 years thing all the power to them.  Me I'll take consistent releases with the hopes somthing great materializes. Lots of people believe The Cure hasn't done anything worthwhile since Wish but that's a load of bull. Wild Mood Swings is great and Bloodflowers is possibley their best album. The Cure was not bad, 4:13 Dream left a lot to be desired but 2014 looks to be another Cure release and I'll take another release with the chance it's great over nothing.  Axl is doing nothing so........ like I said all the power to those who prefer his appraoch,  I just don't understand it.

I remember reading that Bloodflowers was going to be the last Cure album when it came out and I bought it that very day. Counted down the days to its release. And if you listen to the majority of the lyrics, that's what it sounds like. That the dude is totally burnt out with no more creative ideas and he's making a record about it (pretty brilliant, imo). "The Fire Is Almost Out... And There's Nothing Left To Burn."

Axl has said he needs to be in the right headspace to write. Remember his trip to China back when he was looking for inspiration to write for CD? Yeah, I don't think he writes all the time. I'm sure it's a painful experience. I've made this comparision, but he is the music world's Thomas Harris. Writing is absolute torture for him. And it takes a lot just to get into the mental space to subject yourself to it. So your output is very, very small.

RaZor
 Rep: 32 

RaZor wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

^ I agree.

To be honest even the 'modern' releases of classic acts give me something I like usually.

There's always at least a track or two I dig...and in some cases I really like how the band evolves and changes (eg megadeth)

I dig new releases of classic acts too, more so than what new bands are putting out. And there have been a lot of new releases from 80's hard rocks acts in the last few years.  I'm very happy about that. Wish we'd get more from GNR but it is what it is.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:

I call " Axl is creatively burnt " opinion bullshit I`m sure he composes music and writes lyrics all the time but he either does n`t want to put them out or he`s burnt all bridges with label. I`ll lean towards second.

Feel free to think what you think is bullshit, and I'd say that the opinion that he still has plenty to say creatively is 'bullshit"

One album in 20 years kinda debunks your theory, because there's no substantial proof to back it up.
And stale, safe setlists for the last 5 years kinda back up what I'm getting at too.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

It's hard to know as Axl seems to be a rather complex person.

I could imagine it either way.

On one hand...I got the impression from an interview a while back that he's felt ridiculed (my words not his) from sharing his private thoughts in songs and these days he's intentionally more hesitant and cryptic with his songwriting. Add to that the pressure situation he's created where his current works are not only held up to the impossible standard (even for the old band) of toping past works...but also subject to instant hatred for not being the old band....then add in the possibility of a fight with the business types...and his unwillingness to back down...and I could visualise him being creative only in private these days.

Then again...many things about the history of GNR suggest to me that it's also possible Axl just hit a wall creatively and has been struggling since. I start to wonder if some of his disapproval of the snakepit material / the no-shows to the srtudio enviroment came from not being inspired to write 15 new guitar based songs in a row.

Moving onto the CD era there's the obvious time frames, the fact most of the songs seem to date from 99, that some producers talked about his reluctance to add vocals....that it's been said he doesn't like finished guitar songs dumped on him...that the current band doesn't appear to attempt to write....it's just speculation about when more of the vault will be done..the focus on new genres and ochestral music ahead of more traditional GNR records, .the fact that all GNR songs seem based on life experiences (AFD=Street life, UYI=rise to fame/relationshiops, CD = relationships) that the  and add that into the delays..stagnancy of the set list...and there's an argument to say there's a lot of circumstantial evidence to suggest axl isn't inspired by rock music much these days.

Son of a Gun

Son of a Gun wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:

Feel free to think what you think is bullshit, and I'd say that the opinion that he still has plenty to say creatively is 'bullshit"

One album in 20 years kinda debunks your theory, because there's no substantial proof to back it up.
And stale, safe setlists for the last 5 years kinda back up what I'm getting at too.

Yeah, OK, no need to cry.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:

I'm not crying... 10 

I'm just pointing out that there are no facts to back up what you are calling out as bullshit, thats all.

So, I'm just calling out what you are calling out as bullshit, as bullshit 22

Son of a Gun

Son of a Gun wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
Son of a Gun wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

I'm not crying... 10 

I'm just pointing out that there are no facts to back up what you are calling out as bullshit, thats all.

So, I'm just calling out what you are calling out as bullshit, as bullshit 22

I`m pointing out that one album in 15 years not 20 he began working on CD in 98 is n`t proof that he`s creatively burnt that`s it.

Board footer