You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Re: "The Full Story Behind Our ‘Chinese Democracy’ Leak" (Antiquiet.com)

Olorin wrote:

Apex can I congratulate you  on being so fuckin awesome, you were always a highlight of this forum and yet you've still managed to take up the reigns in a mixed up, muddled up shook up world that GNR Evo has been cast into... I nominate you for forum mod, your a fuckin legend and your a fuckin class act, I said it yonks ago, you are a wonderful writer, and you just get better and better.
I feel embarrassed logging in and being a drunken fuck, whereas when I first joined used to log in and be challenged to be a higher caliber poster than the other forums because every regular member used to put their point across in quite an intellectual and considerate manner, now I'm a drooling drunk fuck, I'm a brass neck, just dont care and completely lost my luster. But i see a challenge in you, I dont want to grace a forum where I cant mix with the best, and i see you as one of the best posters in the online GNR community and i want to be able to mix it with you. 
Point is you are the shining light for GNREvo and you can lead the forum back to the, never over populated, but one of the most watched and listened to forums out there.

Apex for Mod please smile

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

I second this! smile

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Cheers for the vote of confidence guys, but let's keep it real. I doubt there's a need for any new mods given the current level of activity, as well as the fact that the incumbent mods seem to have a good handle on things as is. The whole mod campaigning I've seen happen on other forums, some folks have been put on a pedestal for whatever reason and staffs may have caved in, which have sometimes resulted in unnecessary and disrupting promotions. Most forums are run by volunteers and don't need to be force-fed new recruits; they ask them if they need them, methinks. I get the positive note and of course I appreciate it, but let's not make things awkward for Will & co. smile

As for why EVO is better on me than any other forum; elsewhere one has to choose to either toe the company line on what can be discussed and whatnot, or, alternatively, get swamped by trolls who generally contribute by clogging up threads with rickrolling, etc. Both atmospheres get old as they make constructive discussion a bit difficult. To me, EVO remains the best place to keep looking back at the Chinese Democracy mystery, which, to a degree, is still ongoing. It has all the makings of an epic, Axl went Salinger for years, made several attempts for a comeback, etc. He's really been a ne'er-do-well for his fanbase by delivering neither (that much of) the new music or a reunion. His vault is said to compete with that of The Grateful Dead, the only difference being that he doesn't have a release schedule. Thus you have a patch-full of carrots dangled in front of you and sometimes I feel one doesn't even need to be interested in the music to be swept away by the story.

Don't worry about being a drunken sod, dude, been there meself. We definitely need folks like you to loosen it up a bit, too many people just lurk around, some maybe on the account of EVO's reputation as a classy joint in comparison to others. I get that slow news weeks and the Internet Drama of yesteryear have been a drag as well, as it only takes one good leak to really light the place up. In the meantime, I know this may get me into trouble, but here goes anyway.

Don't take it so hard now, Axl, and please don't take it so bad. 19

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

dave-gnfnr wrote:
sp1at wrote:

Random events and contracts resulted in the release of CD. UYI was a forced release as well

No future release will happen unless events dictate it. Will disquiet among the band members be enough, I do not know, but I heavily doubt it

Unless anyone knows otherwise, there is no noise just now showing Axl is doing anything himself towards a new album. Band members, yes. Axl, no.

It will be another year of touring, that is where the money is

I agree with this, in 2013 the rumor was, oh guns will release an album in 2014 and tour for that.  The tour came  up and people were thinking oh this will be for the album.

Now we hear new rumors that the album won't be release now until mid 2015. 

And even if they release the CD left overs, do we really want to hear it with Ron, Frank and DJ replacing BH, Brain and Robins parts?  We already heard how terrible DJs better was.  And Rons stuff on CD IMO always was crap. BHs versions were always better (at least the stuff we can compare).

The band should just, release the CD sessions with BH, Brain and Robin this year, then for the whole year write a new album with the current band. Then release it next year.

Until this band writes their own songs from scratch, its just a cover band of the AFD era band and the BH era band.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Skwerl has that Martyr complex and doesn't have a grasp on reality and exactly what kind of damage he caused this record. I think he deserved whatever punishment and then some. I don't like when people try to profit off of someone else's art or legend/mystique.

dave-gnfnr

dave-gnfnr wrote:
-D- wrote:

Skwerl has that Martyr complex and doesn't have a grasp on reality and exactly what kind of damage he caused this record. I think he deserved whatever punishment and then some. I don't like when people try to profit off of someone else's art or legend/mystique.

You have to be kidding me. If it wasn't for him, we would probably still be waiting for CD.  What damage exactly did he cause?  Because the leaks he had were way better than the album version of the songs. 

If anything the leaks helped the album.  When ever we got leaks from any source MSL or Skewl the internet always blew up and I don't just mean the Gnr forums.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Wasn't his art to leak. If Axl never wanted to release it.. that would be his right.

dave-gnfnr

dave-gnfnr wrote:
-D- wrote:

Wasn't his art to leak. If Axl never wanted to release it.. that would be his right.

Its one thing to say it wasn't his art to leak. But its another to say leaking it hurt the album when it helped it.

The problem with the album is it was not promoted and the final mixes were not very good. That is why the album failed. If the album was good, then it would have been a bigger hit.
The leaks had nothing to do with the album flopping.

If it wasn't for Skewl then BB may never have giving $15m of the exclusive rights to the album. If that never happened and lets say Axl released the album a year later instead to all stores, then the album never would have gotten their money back.

BB by paying them $15m for the rights basically let he label break even so to speak.

Not to long ago at BB i saw CD selling for like 4.99.

They still haven't sold all their copies on it

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

@ Apex it was late on a Friday night and I was feeling the love, I wasnt meaning it as a knock on current mods, I was just merely trying to claim you for the forum before you were poached by external forces. I traversed a treacherous sea of horrors to bring you that message...

And while your in the mood can you dig up the quote from tommy where he says no matter what happened CD always boiled down to the same songs, I cannie mind what interveiw he said it, but I think its relevant in any speculation on a so called treasure trove of  unreleased material.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Haha, no worries mate, your syntax just fails to give your inebration away smile

I think I bumped into that Tommy interview you mentioned just a while ago. A pretty kicking account in all its honesty.

Tommy wrote:

It was a bummer. Most of the songs that are on the record now were done 10 fucking years ago. But all the talking heads in the mix were saying, “Make ’em sound better! Make ’em sound better!” So we kept redoing this and that. And it ended up coming back down to the same fucking songs that they were 10 years ago, except that now they were a super-dense mishmash of a bunch of instrumentation.

I remember Tommy saying earlier on that most of the songs were written before/during the Beavan era. But, at the time, Josh Freese and Beavan said there were around 40 songs being tinkered on, with Axl saying 70 songs in total... Tommy doesn't contradict that, nor the additional stuff written with Bucket & Brain.

What Tommy does suggest is that Guns stopped writing new songs in around 2000/2001, and merely screwed around re-recording the existing material for 7-8 years. 18

Board footer