You are not logged in. Please register or login.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

Re: HBO's True Detective

BLS-Pride wrote:

Anyone else catch the premiere last night? I thought it was great. Really has me intrigued to to find out more about the case and even more why Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey's characters had a  falling out. Great acting too. McConaughey is superb as the off kilter odd ball anti social mess. I think its an 8 part series.  Definitely has more of a movie feel then a TV show. I like the way the story is being told. Present day with both ex partners telling their perspective. Setting is perfect. Id recommend it.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

They said that this series is going to be an American Horror Story style cop show where each season will be a different pairing of actors, new case, and new situations. Which is very cool. I really want to watch this; but we only get HBO on certain weekends every few months with my family's digital cable plan. Strong talent they have there. Big fan of Woody Harrelson and McConaughey has been scoring great roles as of late. It's been getting good reviews and glad to hear an opinion from a fellow forum member.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Torrents are open every day, cheap too big_smile

I give it thumbs up and will continue watching. Harrelson is always great, McCoughney is alright when he isn't bad, the bit parts are solid. Photography is great, writing good. Overall a quality production. 

A few things hampers it from being truly great though. "True Detective" sounds, apart from the speculative play on "True Blood", a little I don't know, cheap? Like it couldn't be more obvious from the start we're dealing with some really sharp detectives here. And I'm definitely no fan of the "flash forwards/backwards" storytelling. Once again it feels like ramming down the throat we're dealing with some big mystery here. Small hints that one of the detectives could be the killer, that kinda stuff. The exposition becomes a bit heavy and blatant. It's a clever technique I suppose, establishing characters, plot and mystery quickly, but I think it detracts from the somber acting and photography. A species of the hipster streak currently happening at HBO, a kind of mold between true storytelling and the old man in the box tricks.

Even still, it's a lot better than most shows out there. Will be interesting where they take the concept.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Enjoyed it. Very intriguing, has me in the palm of their hand. can't wait to find out more.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

That sounds like my response to my date with a young goth chick once.

johndivney wrote:

best tv tits ever

not talking about mcconaghy & woody. talking about the boobs from the bit woody was banging on the side.

how the fuck can grandpa woody who is about 150 years old be married to yer woman & into this other one too? lucky guy! & what a great head of hair too!

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

It's the best thing out there right now. Very intrigued to see where it is going.

BLS-Pride

BLS-Pride wrote:

Loved those TV bitties. 16

Each episode draws me in more and more. Learning a bit more about each guy. Seems to be building on to something big.  Might be my favorite cop show since The Wire.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

I'm thinking it's my favorite show in any genre since the Wire. I much prefer this to say Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones and Boardwalk Empire.

BLS-Pride

BLS-Pride wrote:

Its getting better and better. After a week off maybe the best episode yet.  The ending scenes as they were escaping the projects was movie quality filming.  Got to see more of the dark side of Cole and his undercover life.  Finally are getting to the real reason these two detectives are getting questions.  Seems next week the cat will leave the bag so to speak.

Board footer