You are not logged in. Please register or login.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

Re: New Tommy Interview.

BLS-Pride wrote:

From htgth

Musician Tommy Stinson talks to iG about Axl Rose, Guns' tours and his comeback to the Replacements

Nicknamed as "the general" by Axl Rose because of his leadership on Guns N' Roses' rehearsals,  the bassist Tommy Stinson is one of the oldest band members after Axl himself and keyboard player Dizzy Reed, joining the group in 1998.

Scheduled to come on the months of March and April this year, the hard rock group will be back to the country for concerts in seven capitals - even without a new record to show since "Chinese Democracy", released in 2008.

In an interview to iG, the bassist talks about the wish to add a new album to Guns' short discography, the band exists for 29 years and only 6 studio records. "I want to do a new album, I think it's a good time for us to get involved."

About the recent reunion of The Replacements, an influential punk rock group in the 80's to which Tommy joined at 11 years old due to insistence of his half-brother Bob Stinson, the musician sums up to say "it was fun". Bob died short after the band's dissolution, in 1991.

The Replacements had been mentioned as influence to bands like Nirvana, Wilco, Foo Fighters  and Green Day e its reunion is nobly motivated by the EP "Songs for Slim", recorded by Stinson and vocalist Paul Westerberg as a beneficent project to help the guitarist Slim Dunlap's treatment, who suffered a cerebral vascular accident in 2012.

Read the interview below.

iG: Does Axl Rose still  call you "general"?
Tommy Stinson: No, today I'm only "that guy" (laughs). The nickname came a long time ago. Nowadays I'm just "Tommy".

iG: What is the importance of Guns N' Roses to you?
Tommy Stinson: It's all very fun. I've been in the band  longer than the other members. It's really good to be able to travel, meet several countries, to play in Japan. I'm looking  forward to be back to  Brazil and I hope it's hot there, because I'm freezing here (in the United States).

iG: Is it hard to stay creative playing with the same musicians for so long?
Tommy Stinson: This is a good question. Guns N' Roses is doing more tours than albums. We want to make a new album, I  think it is a good time for us to get involved. But there are eight guys (in the band)  in several cities and it is hard to gather them all. I am trying to compose and send it over the internet, I want to make it happen. We talk about doing a new record, but we don't know to when it is going to be.

iG: And the reunion shows with The Replacements after 22 years apart, how have they been?
Tommy Stinson: The  reunion was fun, because we haven't played together for so long.

iG: Do you pretend to do other concerts besides the four already booked in the USA? Do you want to play other continents?
Tommy Stinson: There will be mores hows in the summer, in the States. We could go to Europe, maybe, but it is a lot of headache.

iG: Who have been drawing you attention in music lately?
Tommy Stinson: I haven't been listening to a lot of stuff recently, I've been working more on other's music, but I really like Queens of the Stone Age.

http://ultimosegundo...z-baixista.html

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Doesn't look like anything on the new album front.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

It doesn't look too promising does it? Why we have to pretend it's cos nobody lives near each other though I have no idea. Like Axls just sat in LA waiting to make this new album but he can't cos he's struggling to sycnh diaries with Frank and Fortus? Gimme a break.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Yeah. Bummer really. If there is anyone in this band that I don't take their answers with a grain of salt it would be Tommy.

Also agree its kinda a lame reason.  Geography problems? Is it not 2014?

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:

Yeah your the man Tommy, been in the band the longest and have released on album lol

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Great to see the band members are all on the same page regarding a new album, looks like it will be released sooner than we think....

hahahaha

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Yeah. Bummer really. If there is anyone in this band that I don't take their answers with a grain of salt it would be Tommy.

Also agree its kinda a lame reason.  Geography problems? Is it not 2014?

Evidently in Axl land it's still 1991.

We all know he's just covering for his boss though. If Axl said move, let's get together and make this happen, it would.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

They are just spinning the wheels. Really the only guy I don't hear b.s. from is Ron. Ron said he was willing to come down to a booked studio and work on an album of new material. Even in the first Vegas stint while everyone was in the same hotel.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Is anyone surprised? They've been doing the tribute band routine for a decade or even longer, with an old album dropped (forced by the label) somewhere on the road. They are still not ready to confess it though.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

It's cool he's actually composing new music for guns and sending it to Axl.

Board footer