You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: GNR to perform at Golden Gods award show/ lifetime achievement for Axl

faldor wrote:
Aussie wrote:

[
IMO it's cool he getting an individual award.  The award itself I would suggest is really for his time from 87-93 and VERY well deserved.  However, IMO since that era he has actually tarnished his Golden God status (or whatever the fuck that award is about) rather than enhanced it.

Maybe in the short term, or at least in present day.  But historically speaking I think more weight will be put on the 6 years of greatness than all the years of inactivity.  Of course, we'll all be dead and gone by then so who really cares.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

^ Agreed nothing will be able to erase those few early years from the history books and after they are all gone that period will probably only grow in stature, whilst the disappointment of the later versions will become merely a footnote.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Didn't think I would ever see Axl out there and accepting something like this award. Interested in seeing how it all plays out.  As for the performance part hopefully the band and Axl bring their A games. Wonder what the set will be like? How many songs and which songs? Maybe Joan and Zakk can join em for a tune.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Aussie wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

I got to thinking about this a bit more, and isn't Axl kind of a hypocrite to accept this award when he snubbed the R&RHOF...?

I believe these were some of his comments about the HOF

I still don’t exactly know or understand what the Hall is or how or why it makes money, where the money goes, who chooses the voters and why anyone or this board decides who, out of all the artists in the world that have contributed to this genre, officially “rock” enough to be in the Hall?
This isn’t an attack. These are genuine issues I don’t have enough verified information on to have more than rough ideas. Certainly not enough information to make any judgments about.

He must have been able to resolve these issues regarding the Golden Gods thing 16

IMO it's cool he getting an individual award.  The award itself I would suggest is really for his time from 87-93 and VERY well deserved.  However, IMO since that era he has actually tarnished his Golden God status (or whatever the fuck that award is about) rather than enhanced it.

Absolutely, Axl was a rock god from 87-93, and should definitely be awarded for such. But "lifetime achievement" award seems an odd thing, when that was only a small window of greatness.
Given, Axl has had good years here and there, but the fact that he's stalled, and only given us one album in nearly 20 years, and has gradually gotten worse and worse as a singer, I don't really see merit in any "lifetime achievement"

And without turning this into an Axl vs Slash thing, I think Slash is much more deserving of a lifetime achievement award, as he was in TWO successful bands, and has had moderate success as a solo artist.
That and his playing ability these days is the some of the best in his career

Anyway, regardless, I hope that such recognition lights a fire under Axl's ass to do something, or fucking anything, to prove to us all how great he can be.

JimBob
 Rep: 1 

JimBob wrote:

I think its great Axl is getting recognized here.    Love him or hate him, agree or disagree with the direction he took GnR,  diss him for failing to release his music in a timely manner.. but the man is a living legend and at over 50 can still put on a great show.     Sure, his pipes aren't what they were when he was 28, but most singers decline this way as they age.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

They earned a lifetime achievement from MTV by 1992.

It kinda amuses me how you guys are ingenuous to the point where you think it's A REAL award for Axl. It's not, whether he deserves it is another thing.

It is on the same vein as Axl's appearance at Jimmy Kimmel's last time. You exchange the audience of a Guns N' Roses appearance in order to promote the residency at the Joint. It's mostly a Hard Rock endeavor to make more people aware of the residency. I wouldn't credit Team Brazil with such cleverness.

johndivney wrote:

^ everyone's aware of the con that goes w/award shows. It's an industry daisy chain & a way to advertise & sell you something.

The big deal is people are excited to see Axl get outside for a change even if its ultimately vacuous. It's good to see him try & sell us his product tbh, his apathy toward promo has been a bit of a drag..

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

And without turning this into an Axl vs Slash thing, I think Slash is much more deserving of a lifetime achievement award, as he was in TWO successful bands, and has had moderate success as a solo artist.

Anyway, regardless, I hope that such recognition lights a fire under Axl's ass to do something, or fucking anything, to prove to us all how great he can be.

This is an award for lead singers, so Slash is not eligible. Slash himself has won a few Golden Gods awards himself. He's a guitar hero. I don't think he's been slighted in the least. Both he and Axl have won various online polls and such. They're both deserving if you take any bias out of the equation. Obviously we've had a birds eye view of the situation so we may have a different take on the matter. Axl is still a rock legend in every sense of the word in spite of what he has or hasn't done since 1993. He's one of a kind.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

This is an award for lead singers, so Slash is not eligible.

No, it is not.

Previous winners include Metallica and Rush.

The day Geddy Lee gets an award as a vocalist, please, kill me.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
faldor wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

This is an award for lead singers, so Slash is not eligible. Slash himself has won a few Golden Gods awards himself. He's a guitar hero. I don't think he's been slighted in the least. Both he and Axl have won various online polls and such. They're both deserving if you take any bias out of the equation. Obviously we've had a birds eye view of the situation so we may have a different take on the matter. Axl is still a rock legend in every sense of the word in spite of what he has or hasn't done since 1993. He's one of a kind.

My point wasn't really about this award in particular, I was just saying generally speaking that Slash, in my opinion, is more deserving of a lifetime achievement award by comparison.

Board footer