You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: GNR to perform at Golden Gods award show/ lifetime achievement for Axl

Sky Dog wrote:

think Axl and Slash are pretty even as far as Golden Gods go...just my op.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
faldor wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

And without turning this into an Axl vs Slash thing, I think Slash is much more deserving of a lifetime achievement award, as he was in TWO successful bands, and has had moderate success as a solo artist.
That and his playing ability these days is the some of the best in his career

Anyway, regardless, I hope that such recognition lights a fire under Axl's ass to do something, or fucking anything, to prove to us all how great he can be.

This is an award for lead singers, so Slash is not eligible. Slash himself has won a few Golden Gods awards himself. He's a guitar hero. I don't think he's been slighted in the least. Both he and Axl have won various online polls and such. They're both deserving if you take any bias out of the equation. Obviously we've had a birds eye view of the situation so we may have a different take on the matter. Axl is still a rock legend in every sense of the word in spite of what he has or hasn't done since 1993. He's one of a kind.

My point wasn't really about this award in particular, I was just saying generally speaking that Slash, in my opinion, is more deserving of a lifetime achievement award by comparison.

Fair enough, but Slash has won plenty of awards over the years. His mantle is shaping up nicely. Personally I think it's good to see Axl getting some well deserved recognition, and at the same time getting to promote the current lineup.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
faldor wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

[

That's true, but at least they were on building up something (Slash and Duff, anyway). Meanwhile Axl's mission was to destroy one of the biggest band of all time; when he got the wheel, he drove the car off the hill; and Axl has hardly done anything (not memorable: anything) in the past 20 years, except whoring off AFD for the 346436th time. Not something that would cry for a lifetime achievement award.

I highly doubt that was Axl's mission.  I'd have to think that even he would admit that things haven't happened quite as he had hoped/expected.  But what's done is done.  He seems to be in a good place right now and enjoys the people he's working with.

Alright, then let's see things from this perspective. Axl wanted to be even bigger and better. What has he achieved? He became smaller, irrelevant and the joke of the industry. It's his achievement since 1996. He's the guy who earns a Rolls Royce with his (and his mates') talent, then when he manages to get full control, he amortizes this, and years later all he has is a Trabant with a Rolls Royce logo. Impressive.

BTW I doubt that he'd be that happy with his current employees, since he's not working with them. The most likely scenario is that they haven't written a full song in a decade. If he was happy with his band that would inspire him to make new music, instead of playing Top-Hatted Cancer's material from 25 years ago.

johndivney wrote:

jesus fucking christ.

Sky Dog wrote:
johndivney wrote:

jesus fucking christ.

classic!

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
faldor wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

[

That's true, but at least they were on building up something (Slash and Duff, anyway). Meanwhile Axl's mission was to destroy one of the biggest band of all time; when he got the wheel, he drove the car off the hill; and Axl has hardly done anything (not memorable: anything) in the past 20 years, except whoring off AFD for the 346436th time. Not something that would cry for a lifetime achievement award.

I highly doubt that was Axl's mission.  I'd have to think that even he would admit that things haven't happened quite as he had hoped/expected.  But what's done is done.  He seems to be in a good place right now and enjoys the people he's working with.

Alright, then let's see things from this perspective. Axl wanted to be even bigger and better. What has he achieved? He became smaller, irrelevant and the joke of the industry. It's his achievement since 1996. He's the guy who earns a Rolls Royce with his (and his mates') talent, then when he manages to get full control, he amortizes this, and years later all he has is a Trabant with a Rolls Royce logo. Impressive.

BTW I doubt that he'd be that happy with his current employees, since he's not working with them. The most likely scenario is that they haven't written a full song in a decade. If he was happy with his band that would inspire him to make new music, instead of playing Top-Hatted Cancer's material from 25 years ago.

Happiness can be defined many different ways. To me, he seems to be in a good place right now. Axl may have changed his expectations over the years. Obviously things got out of control and took way longer than they should have. It is literally impossible for any band to be bigger and better than GNR in its heyday, or any big band from that era in theory. Rock bands don't translate with the masses these days. At least not here in America. The whole landscape has changed. It's not 1992 anymore, in a lot of ways. I'm not sure anyone could have predicted how things would have turned out.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Losing the old band crushed him. It resulted in him wasting his best years between the age of 30 and 40, and when he finally got back up with something he pretty much wasted his 40s to 50s too. Now he's too old to do anything of particular relevance. He can drop some albums of good quality and tour profitably at least until he's 65, but the chance for any popular success is gone.

Sad, because it wouldn't really have been all that hard to do. He just needed to release albums consistently. Get something out there in 2002, a follow up in 06 then a third one around 2010. Even if they had been just good/bad it would have gained him that credibility to front the new version of the band. The media wouldn't be in a position to give him as much shit, and with time most of the public would have went along. It wouldn't be superstardom, but he could possibly have reached something like a Metallica status. Not really known for making great music anymore, but still out there delivering and resting on a very strong back catalog. People don't go to these old band shows in droves because they are relevant, they go because they have respect. It's cool to say you went to a AC/DC, Stones or even a Deep Purple show. GNR, not so much. And that has little to do with Slash and a lot to do with Axl Rose.

AtariLegend wrote:

Duff McKagan to Play With Guns N’ Roses At Revolver Golden Gods Awards

Guns N’ Roses fans in North America will get a taste of what their counterparts in the Southern Hemisphere recently experienced. Today (April 21), it was announced that original bassist Duff McKagan will join the group for their upcoming appearance at the Revolver Golden Gods Awards.

Revolver Magazine has announced that McKagan will be part of the band for their closing slot at the event, which will take place on April 23 at the Club Nokia in Los Angeles. However, it will be a month before anybody can see the performance. VH1 Classic will air the festivities on Saturday, May 24 at 8:00PM.

Earlier this month, McKagan filled in for current bassist Tommy Stinson, who was with with his own reunited band, 80s punk legends the Replacements, for five shows in South America. Axl Rose recently posted a photo of McKagan on the band’s plane to his Instagram account, with a note expressing his gratitude, both to the fans and McKagan.

"Up, Up and Away!
To all of our beloved GNR family on our neighbor continent: Our appreciation of your unconditional support and passion for the band can only be understated in any words here. The crowds were insane, the local support through the stops was amazing and we can only wait to come back to see more of you in more places and stay longer smile Thanks to everyone who made this run FUN!
And one last but most DUFFintely not least mention. A big and special thanks to Duff McKagan for joinin’ us on these last 5 shows and kickin’ ass.
From this time ’til next time – so long.
"

Rose will receive this year’s Ronnie James Dio Lifetime Achievement Award at the ceremony. Joan Jett will also be on hand to be the first female recipient of the Golden God Award. Alice Cooper, Ace Frehley and members of Black Sabbath are scheduled to make appearances.

Source: http://ultimateclassicrock.com/duff-mck … ds-awards/

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

You can't make this shit up... Duff seems back in.. So long Tommy.  Can we get izzy too?  Sit Ashba down for Izzy.. Let Fortus take DJ's solos I guess...

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

1e67d064c7e311e390c00002c9bbc360_8.jpg
Tis a nice shot.

The show will be streamed live et al, so if the SA shows were a bit in the wilderness for most people, this one'll certainly get noticed. Curious to see what'll happen next. Only in GNR land...

Board footer