You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Duff McKagan on tour with GNR?

AtariLegend wrote:

I think an interesting thing is a sober Duff being around an intoxicated Axl, Dizzy and Pitman ect. presumably off stage.

That Dizzy video chat from not so long back where he looked nervous and stoned, along with a lot of the pictures we've seen of the band (especially with Tommy) suggest these guys pretty much spend half their tours staggered.

AtariLegend wrote:

..And anyway come on if this was Slash instead of Duff, certain people here wouldn't be complaining about no Izzy or Duff.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
otto wrote:

If it were 93 and we had message boards, would you all be saying this about Izzy as well?

"Well, yeah, he left because it became a circus and now here he is, playing with them... izzy man, spineless!"

Guns business' side: Instead of hiring a bass player who has to learn 20+ songs, they HIRED (there, I said it) one that knows most of them, has to learn 3 or 4 new ones (yes, he will play CD songs) and also has a history with the group.

Duff side: travel south america with family, enjoy some high profile/full of people gigs, be praised, cash in some good bucks, then, when he had enough of dealing with Axl's bullshit backstage, goes back to his normal life.

Axl side: Duff was the last to give up and judging by Duff's book and Axl's interviews, they were always on good terms but on a grey zone of discomfort in the sense of "who'll call first?". Good things they patched some scars in London.

People comparing this with Slash or "why not with Slash?": comparing apples to oranges. They haven't come to amicable terms yet and maybe never will. You get angry because it becomes more evident that a full fledged reunion will not occur (any time soon). Also, Axl has been really vocal about his problems with Slash and there are rumors that he demands a public apology and until that happens... well...

Slash: If he did have problems with Duff joining for a few songs, he did not make it public. Also, if he did, the RNRHOF occurred AFTER that and they are buddies again., on good terms, so I don't think Duff sees this as a problem and, if my instincts are to be right (given what I read about his life and modus operandis in the GNR days) he probably spoke to Slash prior to accepting the offer.

It's not easy to overlook some important fact: the 1993 band still had _the majority of the classic line-up_ and they were playing the asses off promoting _relatively new albums_, _they wrote_ and Izzy, who rejoined for a while, _was a co-writer of those songs_ and they did a helluva job, performing _amazing shows_.
Now we only have 1 original member, who's a shadow of his former shelf, who's playing a boring setlist just to rip off his remaining fans, with songs written by people he publicly hates, whom he didn't want to joing the stage, honouring their lifetime achievement. Also Duff - unlike Izzy - will be joining replacements of replacements, and not his old buddies (minus Steven). Plus, nobody on Earth questioned GN'R being GN'R back then - now only lunatics and zealots are preaching it's the same band.

So I guess this story is a little bit different, and noone can pretend it's 1993 again.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

So I guess this story is a little bit different, and noone can pretend it's 1993 again.

Not unless their calendars are screwed and they live under a rock. However,

The replacement member is unavailable for a handful of shows. Rather than canceling, the band hires the original member to perform in his stead. That's what happened with Gilby/Izzy, and that's what's happening with Tommy/Duff.

Lomax wrote:

grQkv8x.png

https://twitter.com/DuffMcKagan/status/ … 2645970944

More. Excellent. News. I for one heartily look forward to the barrage of irrational vitriol towards this news on the board and more specifically in this very thread.
But. Not as much as I'm looking forward to catching a show if the GNR+Duff tour should extend a little further.

johndivney wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

not true @ all
close your eyes, stick your fingers in your ears & pretend it's 1993. loads of people do it.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

I never said it's the same situation as in 93, just that people would bitch on forums if that was the case anyway.

However, with the rest of my post that was completely ignored - people seem to have read just the first two lines - I was just trying to rationalize the whole thing from all perspectives.

JimBob
 Rep: 1 

JimBob wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
otto wrote:

If it were 93 and we had message boards, would you all be saying this about Izzy as well?

"Well, yeah, he left because it became a circus and now here he is, playing with them... izzy man, spineless!"

Guns business' side: Instead of hiring a bass player who has to learn 20+ songs, they HIRED (there, I said it) one that knows most of them, has to learn 3 or 4 new ones (yes, he will play CD songs) and also has a history with the group.

Duff side: travel south america with family, enjoy some high profile/full of people gigs, be praised, cash in some good bucks, then, when he had enough of dealing with Axl's bullshit backstage, goes back to his normal life.

Axl side: Duff was the last to give up and judging by Duff's book and Axl's interviews, they were always on good terms but on a grey zone of discomfort in the sense of "who'll call first?". Good things they patched some scars in London.

People comparing this with Slash or "why not with Slash?": comparing apples to oranges. They haven't come to amicable terms yet and maybe never will. You get angry because it becomes more evident that a full fledged reunion will not occur (any time soon). Also, Axl has been really vocal about his problems with Slash and there are rumors that he demands a public apology and until that happens... well...

Slash: If he did have problems with Duff joining for a few songs, he did not make it public. Also, if he did, the RNRHOF occurred AFTER that and they are buddies again., on good terms, so I don't think Duff sees this as a problem and, if my instincts are to be right (given what I read about his life and modus operandis in the GNR days) he probably spoke to Slash prior to accepting the offer.

It's not easy to overlook some important fact: the 1993 band still had _the majority of the classic line-up_ and they were playing the asses off promoting _relatively new albums_, _they wrote_ and Izzy, who rejoined for a while, _was a co-writer of those songs_ and they did a helluva job, performing _amazing shows_.
Now we only have 1 original member, who's a shadow of his former shelf, who's playing a boring setlist just to rip off his remaining fans, with songs written by people he publicly hates, whom he didn't want to joing the stage, honouring their lifetime achievement. Also Duff - unlike Izzy - will be joining replacements of replacements, and not his old buddies (minus Steven). Plus, nobody on Earth questioned GN'R being GN'R back then - now only lunatics and zealots are preaching it's the same band.

I saw the band a few times in 2002 and 2006.  I knew what I was getting and didn't feel ripped off.     You are entitled to your opinion, but many people have enjoyed the shows for what they are.   We have a choice.   I choose not to take it too seriously.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Duff can handle those Bass lines, no problem.  The problem is the double standard here.  Axl got pissed the old band played at the RnRHoF, and Duff was pissed that Axl let the fans down...  Izzy pissed the guys off too for siding with Axl. Fast forward, Duff is fine with it now and can jam with Axl, but Axl is unable in any way, shape, or form, reconcile his differences with Slash like Duff does Axl.  It is bullshit and Duff in a way supports this behavior by once again bailing Axl again....  Maybe Duff is spineless, or forgets who his friends are, but Slash IS ONE OF HIS VERY BEST FRIENDS, so why does he continue to play shows with Axl under the name Guns N Roses, when his best friend cannot?  It is like he should take  his boy's back here.  If I were boys with Axl and Slash, but more so Slash and Axl wanted to hang out, I would almost have to address the Slash deal with him and get a resolution.  I feel like Slash is on his own island on this one and it sucks for him.

Both him and Izzy have been doing this for years now, why suddenly the problem? Axl and Slash are arch enemies, of course they'll never do anything together. Duff and Izzy are longtime friends who quit the band because they didn't like the hassle. There's never been any seriously bad blood between any of them, so why can't they do some shows and make some money for old times sake? I never got the impression the Hall of Fame was a big deal for any of them. Some sour faces of course, but nothing like a scandal or anything.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Duff and Slash sued Axl.

Board footer