You are not logged in. Please register or login.

otto
 Rep: 83 

Re: Duff McKagan on tour with GNR?

otto wrote:

Axl and Duff were a tight unit.

I'm on my cell phone now, but if you can find the first chapters of his book, read it.

I dare to say the bond between Axl and Duff was bigger than Slash and Duff.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Well, Duff rates Axl as a Good Friend in his biography, even if he obviously has a lot of history with Slash. As Duff put it, in 1994, as he began recuperating from his pancreas operation, Axl visited him in a Seattle hospital, the only band member to do so (the others were quite wasted). As Duff began his sobriety, he took on various interests, like reading, kickboxing and GNR musical direction. Yup, he was on the phone with Axl a lot. Slash was offering the Snakepit demos as his songs on the next album. Duff and Axl both viewed them as too Southern Rock for GNR.

Duff was the guy on two stools for the remainder; now sober, he was now separated from Slash and placed in as Axl's right hand man. Effectively, Axl had band control by having Duff on his side. Duff was sober and Axl the health nut make good company. Both wanted to make an album with Slash, who was a chronic alcoholic. Duff went to Izzy and wrote new songs with him, Axl went to Paul Tobias, and they too, apparently, wrote songs. Duff stayed with it when Slash left, and the prime reason for him jumping ship was his wife's pregnancy and the reset of values he experienced.

Only after Live Era and the OMG single did Duff rise to 'back his boy' by berating Paul Tobias along with the rest of them. He always appeared more fine with the teetotaler guitarist than Slash, who couldn't even "have a beer with him". So, I'd hate to explain those things so easily.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

I know that Duff is very thankful to Axl for taking care of him in his hardest weeks, but I wouldn't go too far to put the Axl/Duff relationship above the Slash N' Duff friendship. I know that these are tiny little details, but they together sued Axl (maybe even two times) AFTER the pancreas incident and they had that band Velvet Revolver, and - I know that I mentioned, but it's such a tiny little thing one can easily forget - they performed as Guns N' Roses without Axl. They also toured a few months ago as Kings of Chaos, while that so strong Axl-Duff friendship doesn't have too much history in the past 15 years.

Anyway, the most likely scenario is that Duff will play with Axl, maybe Axl will get his shit together a little bit more not to be ashamed in Duff's eyes, the crowd will be happy, the online fan base will have something interesting to watch and listen, and jack shit will happen considering a full reunion or a civilzed Axl-Slash-relationship. I still think that the So Fine-setlist is an April's Fool joke, but let's hope it'll happen and Axl will not butcher it. Maybe Duff's mission is to save Axl, cause he saw some Brazilian shows and knows that now Axl needs his help.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Duff and Slash were never any friends in particular. The tight bonds in GN'R was Axl Izzy and Slash Steven. Duff was always a little that other guy, friends with both sides. Him and Slash drank together, then they had a purely business relationship for over 10 years while Duff was staying sober and Slash was still shooting up. I doubt they were ever all that close on a personal level. They were drinking buddies in a band in their 20s, now they are friendly associates.

Duff sued over missing payments, which turned out to be a clerical error. It's a mere formality to sue when contracted money don't turn up.

They didn't perform "as Guns N Roses", they performed GNR songs at a GNR tribute show. It's not like Duff has been involved in a legal battle to be able to perform as "GN'R". It was a one off, special occasion. I doubt Axl cares at all.

Duff has worked with Slash, and he has worked with Axl. I don't see any reason why his projects with Slash should indicate they are particularly close. 2 GN'R members means extra cash, it only makes sense for them to pursue those kind of arrangements. If Tommy Stinson had left the band Duff would probably be up for coming back.

JimBob
 Rep: 1 

JimBob wrote:

As people get older, and time goes by, bygones become bygones and the past is the past.    Don't really think we can truly know the intentions of those involved other than to say its cool that Duff will play with GNR again.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

It's funny Duff left Janes over the Synth direction, yet he seemed pretty on board with the NIN influence for GNR, even bringing in Chris Vrenna and playing with Robin. He had to have been in the band with Mother Goose, too, right?

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Duff is still Duff and please don't short sell the relationship Duff and Slash have. The big 3 were Axl, Duff, and Slash.  It became Axl vs. Duff and Slash.  They also sued Axl for back catalog issues as well like the Black Hawk down incident and Duff also wasn't happy with the direction of new guns and said Axl is what drove the band apart.  Lets not have revisionist history.  I think Duff gets along with everyone, that is cool.  He is a good dude, but still more like Matt and Slash than Axl.  Axl would never write articles for a magazine or all these one off charity events, etc. Good for Duff being with his old pal on his old pal's terms I guess.  I just feel for Slash because it is like he is being left out, and it is sad to me for some reason.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Duff is still Duff and please don't short sell the relationship Duff and Slash have. The big 3 were Axl, Duff, and Slash.  It became Axl vs. Duff and Slash.  They also sued Axl for back catalog issues as well like the Black Hawk down incident and Duff also wasn't happy with the direction of new guns and said Axl is what drove the band apart.  Lets not have revisionist history.  I think Duff gets along with everyone, that is cool.  He is a good dude, but still more like Matt and Slash than Axl.  Axl would never write articles for a magazine or all these one off charity events, etc. Good for Duff being with his old pal on his old pal's terms I guess.  I just feel for Slash because it is like he is being left out, and it is sad to me for some reason.

I can understand this point.  But for me at this point this is a win for my fanhood. Im excited to see Duff on stage with Axl for a few full shows. Maybe we will get some Illusion era stuff we don't normally get. Not just with Duff on vocals. Hopefully this forces Axl to really give it his all. Hell can you imagine if Izzy joined em for a show? Wishful thinking but stranger events have happened.

I also think Duff is at that age where he is letting the past rest and looking toward the future. Not a reunion but mending any bridges that can still be fixed kinda thing.

Who knows maybe Duff will be the guy to put them both in a room? Again more WISHFUL thinking.

AtariLegend wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Duff is still Duff and please don't short sell the relationship Duff and Slash have. The big 3 were Axl, Duff, and Slash.  It became Axl vs. Duff and Slash.

Total myth that it went straight to Axl vs. Duff and Slash after Slash left.

K!: How come?
G: "Well, it's an Axl thing. He just wasn't into what we were doing, so he's kind of rethinking what he wants to do. He just kind of threw a wrench into everything that me, Slash and Matt had worked to. And then Duff came in.
"Duff and Axl have an idea what the album should be, and the rest of us have another idea. So right now, we're not gonna do anything. And anyway, from July to the end of the year, I'm not gonna be available, because I'm gonna be working on my record.

No one really seems to think much of it, but the fact is Duff (dead years or not) obviously thought at one point for a few years, him and Axl could get by in a Slash-less Guns.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

That was in 1994......  Not 1997.

Board footer