You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Duff McKagan on tour with GNR?

AtariLegend wrote:

Slash didn't leave in 1997!!!

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

He left I think in Sept. 1996... My point was in 1996 Slash was leading the rehearsals... And also that is when Axl wanted Zakk to come in and they jammed for 2 weeks or whatever..  In 1994, Duff maybe had a vision with Axl with no Slash, but in 1996 Slash was still there.  Gilby came out with Pawn Shop guitars in 94 or 95 I think.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Duff is still Duff and please don't short sell the relationship Duff and Slash have. The big 3 were Axl, Duff, and Slash.  It became Axl vs. Duff and Slash.

Total myth that it went straight to Axl vs. Duff and Slash after Slash left.

K!: How come?
G: "Well, it's an Axl thing. He just wasn't into what we were doing, so he's kind of rethinking what he wants to do. He just kind of threw a wrench into everything that me, Slash and Matt had worked to. And then Duff came in.
"Duff and Axl have an idea what the album should be, and the rest of us have another idea. So right now, we're not gonna do anything. And anyway, from July to the end of the year, I'm not gonna be available, because I'm gonna be working on my record.

No one really seems to think much of it, but the fact is Duff (dead years or not) obviously thought at one point for a few years, him and Axl could get by in a Slash-less Guns.

Talking about "myths"...a few years? Slash left in late 1996 and Duff left in August, 1997. It wasn't even a year. He also stated that he only remained cause he thought Slash could come back and they could continue together again. The revisionism here is fascinating and hit a new Axlist low in the past days.

JimBob
 Rep: 1 

JimBob wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I just feel for Slash because it is like he is being left out, and it is sad to me for some reason.

Why feel sorry for him?  He's been far more successful than Axl or Duff.   Slash is doing just fine.

Lomax wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Duff is still Duff and please don't short sell the relationship Duff and Slash have. The big 3 were Axl, Duff, and Slash.  It became Axl vs. Duff and Slash.

G: "Well, it's an Axl thing. He just wasn't into what we were doing, so he's kind of rethinking what he wants to do. He just kind of threw a wrench into everything that me, Slash and Matt had worked to. And then Duff came in.
"Duff and Axl have an idea what the album should be, and the rest of us have another idea. So right now, we're not gonna do anything. And anyway, from July to the end of the year, I'm not gonna be available, because I'm gonna be working on my record.

No one really seems to think much of it, but the fact is Duff (dead years or not) obviously thought at one point for a few years, him and Axl could get by in a Slash-less Guns.

Talking about "myths"...a few years? Slash left in late 1996 and Duff left in August, 1997. It wasn't even a year. He also stated that he only remained cause he thought Slash could come back and they could continue together again. The revisionism here is fascinating and hit a new Axlist low in the past days.

Mikka. Grow up. All you do is bitch and  moan about things that happened over 20 years ago. If you're that unhappy go join a board board for a different band and stop turning every little detail into a personal attack.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Mikka, I'm going to leave aside the speculation on who's whose best friend in the original Guns, since we don't know these people personally and at the end of the day, have no idea. It's a tangled web as most band relationships are, with divided loyalties and vested interests all around. I could argue that the Axl-Slash bond is the strongest one in all of the band, that Axl loves Slash from the bottom of his heart. Case evidence is his long-standing hate towards the dude; the opposite of emotion is indifference, and Axl is anything but indifferent with Slash. I wager Slash has gotten over the breakup better by establishing himself as a musician outside of Guns, whereas Axl has always presented himself as a part of a package, which once included Slash. That's why Axl is so damn stuck with the past and wants Slash back, don't expect Guns to move an inch otherwise.

Mikkamakka wrote:

Anyway, the most likely scenario is that Duff will play with Axl, maybe Axl will get his shit together a little bit more not to be ashamed in Duff's eyes, the crowd will be happy, the online fan base will have something interesting to watch and listen, and jack shit will happen considering a full reunion or a civilzed Axl-Slash-relationship. I still think that the So Fine-setlist is an April's Fool joke, but let's hope it'll happen and Axl will not butcher it. Maybe Duff's mission is to save Axl, cause he saw some Brazilian shows and knows that now Axl needs his help.

I see this only as a good thing.

Are you pissed because there's no reunion, just Duff helping out an old friend? With Guns, we take what we can get. Duff playing with Axl in this day and age is a breath of fresh air and certainly beats 'just touring'. Let's take it for what it is and hope for some quality boots from those shows.

AtariLegend wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

"Slash will not be involved in any new Guns N' Roses
endeavors? as far has not been musically involved with Guns N" Roses
since April 1994 with the exception of a BRIEF feel period with Zakk
Wylde and a 2 week initial period with Guns N' Roses in the late fall
of '95. He (Slash) has been "OFFICIALLY and LEGALLY" outside of the
Guns N' Roses Partnership since December 31, 1995.
"

Anyway you and Smoking are the ones turning this into a Slash vs. Axl thread. As far as I can tell people are either defending Duff or just happy that they'll get to see Axl/Duff together again.

Izzy plays with Axl, bad!!!
Duff plays with Axl bad!!!
If Slash played with Axl without any of the others from the classic line-up, you would not give a fuck.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

"Slash will not be involved in any new Guns N' Roses
endeavors? as far has not been musically involved with Guns N" Roses
since April 1994 with the exception of a BRIEF feel period with Zakk
Wylde and a 2 week initial period with Guns N' Roses in the late fall
of '95. He (Slash) has been "OFFICIALLY and LEGALLY" outside of the
Guns N' Roses Partnership since December 31, 1995.
"

Anyway you and Smoking are the ones turning this into a Slash vs. Axl thread. As far as I can tell people are either defending Duff or just happy that they'll get to see Axl/Duff together again.

Izzy plays with Axl, bad!!!
Duff plays with Axl bad!!!
If Slash played with Axl without any of the others from the classic line-up, you would not give a fuck.

Alright, then it was one and a half year. Still not years.

On the other hand, please quote me saying that Duff joining Axl is a bad thing. Otherwise shut up.
BTW you are so butthurt by Axl's sub-shit performances that you're trying to act like I'd have made it an Axl vs. Slash thread. Read back. I was speculating on Duff's motives (wake up, it's a fan forum!), then some of you came up with the "it's only like Izzy rejoining GN'R in 1993" and the ancient and superstrong Axl-Duff friendship nonsense.

@apex - I don't want a reunion anymore. Furthermore, I would _hate_ a reunion if it would happen in Axl's current state. He can replace everyone in the band with the original members, but he can't bring back the old Axl, who once ruled the world, and all we'd have is his parody version. Thanks, I don't need that.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

@apex - I don't want a reunion anymore. Furthermore, I would _hate_ a reunion if it would happen in Axl's current state. He can replace everyone in the band with the original members, but he can't bring back the old Axl, who once ruled the world, and all we'd have is his parody version. Thanks, I don't need that.

Thanks for clarifying your stance.

So, to you, Ax is damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't, right? Neither the current band or the reunited AFD/UYI/TSI lineup could win you over because Axl is 20+ years older now and has, granted, lapsed since his middle-age peak in 2006-7. You're making it hard to please yourself by setting the bar that high with this band 16

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I want a reunion. But at least I admit it. I wanted it so bad at the RnRhof. But slash is at his playing prime and Axl is at his singing low, even so, just one gig would mean the world.

Board footer