You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Duff McKagan on tour with GNR?

misterID wrote:

Well, Slash does think Duff is spineless... 16

I don't even know what the argument is here.

Velvet Revolver shows, to me at least, that Slash and Duff just aren't on the same musical page. They didn't like each others lead singing choices and the band fell apart... tbh, I think VR was nothing more than a moment for three guys to play together and probably prove something to themselves and to Axl, and there was some pissed off hurt feelings involved that spurned it on. If it weren't for Scott (Duff's choice) there wouldn't have been a VR... They couldn't agree on a lead singer before him and Scott meant a guaranteed shot at a record contract and clout on the modern rock scene (at the time) and it always struck me that Slash begrudgingly agreed to it... for his own reasons. Maybe sticking it to Axl was one of them... Which puts a whole new spin on his visit to Axl's house: Look what I can do without you. Let's squash this shit and make some music again.

And going on friendship, I would bet you anything Slash would have ditched VR and joined Axl's GNR without Duff. But that's just my feeling on it. I don't think that's the case anymore.

It feels like Slash has proved his point with VR and gone back to lazy Snake Pit rock again. And really, what the hell does he have to prove? He can play whatever he wants.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

VR showed them some truth. Slash was now addicted to meds, Scott had frontman issues of his own, had continuous troubles with the law...Then, Scott started pushing the concept album fad on Libertad. This, I think, has always been the motivation for Slash to say Scott's a fraud (for doing the concept thing) and Duff's spineless (to entertain the idea). To me, Slash wanted to keep the band as straight-up rock like Snakepit, but Scott wanted to make more complex things with it. He did push through the STP producer Brendan O'Brien and Slash's guitars were unusually down in the mix throughout the VR discography. Yesterday, Scott was six years out of the band. Now, he's also out of STP. Axl didn't even have an album out before VR was over and done with, but he's certainly a master of survival.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Duff is the middle man and the bridge. Slash!!!!!!! Reunion will happen someday!

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Anastasia with Axl would have Slayed. So would Doctor Alibi and Watch This. Same with Standing in the Sun. Myles is a great, GREAT person. That is the main reason he sings with Slash. They respect each other and are pros with no egos.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/ … my-stinson

"I had those Replacement shows come up the same time the (South American) tour came up, and it got to be a scheduling issue right out of the gate," Stinson tells Billboard. "I didn't want to fuck anyone up in Guns by saying, 'Hey, I can't do this tour' or anything like that. Luckily someone was able to reach out to Duff and he was amenable to the idea and was into doing it. It's Duff being the kind of good sport he is, trying to help Axl (Rose) out. So I'm like, 'Thanks dude, for covering my ass on this one.' I think people are gonna be really stoked about it. It's gonna be fun for everyone."

"I don't know that Duff and Axl ever even had bad blood," Stinson says. "I don't really know the whole story. But he came up and played with us a couple years back, and they got along great. Whatever their history is, they're certainly fine now -- I means, as fine as you can be after knowing someone for 30-plus years."

Stinson says McKagan joined GNR for rehearsals in Los Angeles last month and will likely run through the set again before the Buenos Aires show, but Stinson notes that, "He's a fucking great bass player. It's gonna be a breeze. The only bummer is I don't get to see one of the shows he plays, especially after playing his fucking parts for 17 years. It would be interesting to see how he plays them. There's a couple things I could use some pointers on."

For his part, McKagan relayed through GNR's publicist that, "It's pretty great to play these songs again, and looking forward to playing some gigs with my pal again. South America is always a radical place for rock n roll...and I'm honored to be doing this thing, in that place."

More at the link above...

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
apex-twin wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

@apex - I don't want a reunion anymore. Furthermore, I would _hate_ a reunion if it would happen in Axl's current state. He can replace everyone in the band with the original members, but he can't bring back the old Axl, who once ruled the world, and all we'd have is his parody version. Thanks, I don't need that.

Thanks for clarifying your stance.

So, to you, Ax is damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't, right? Neither the current band or the reunited AFD/UYI/TSI lineup could win you over because Axl is 20+ years older now and has, granted, lapsed since his middle-age peak in 2006-7. You're making it hard to please yourself by setting the bar that high with this band 16

Not the 20 years, don't spin my words. Axl is a bloated, lazy ass motherfucker who can't sing anymore. He can't even breath anymore. I used to want a reunion a lot, but in his current state I don't want a reunion parody, cause without the real Axl, it would be that. I see a very little chance for Axl's coming back to a reasonable level. So I rather have no reunion at all.

otto

otto wrote:

I do think Axl can come back to 2010 levels quite easily and to 2006 levels if he commits to it.

Axl from 2011 on seems really mellow and to me he seems to be under medication. Perhaps come anti-depressives or heavy anxiety pills...

All the memory loss in Rio '11, the fiasco at Bridge School Benefit... The low qual performances, the bloated persona and seemingly careless attitude - damn, he's not even running around during Paradise City anymore... Some people say it might be due to leg/back problems, backed by the video of him arriving at Rio after the show this year - cause by that edema he had due to falling on his back on stage. I don't know, perhaps pain medicine can cause the zombie Axl.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

If he's on that kind of medication it's over. Axl on prozac is possibly the most uninteresting thing in the world. Don't expect to see any new music ever if he's kept in that state of mind.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I think Axl is kind of anti psychiatric drugs, at least for himself. The last thing I ever heard from him on the subject during the chats wasn't anything that suggest he believes he needs help -- and even doubting that the conditions that have been atributed to him, such as being bipolar, even exists. I don't think he's on Prozac.

I think he's on autopilot.

otto

otto wrote:

The chats were way before the autopilot...
2010 tours had some sort of variation on the setlists, lots of Chinese songs being played on rotation, great shows and individual performances. In Osaka, first dates of the tour, and the guy almost plays ALL songs on CD (I guess except Riad?)

He had confidence and anger.

Now he seems dumb and, most notably, numb.

Board footer