You are not logged in. Please register or login.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

Re: HBO's A Game of Thrones

BLS-Pride wrote:
Axlin12 wrote:

Considering how suck ass Walking Dead and Justified have gotten, I should probably check this show out finally.

You really should dude. Great show. Great books. I think you would dig it. 3 seasons at ten a pop.

Season 4 is looking to be pretty epic. Multiple big events happening. Might be the finest yet.

johndivney wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Curious how those that read the books think the show will end. Obviously if "Winds of Winter" isn't released by 2016 at the latest they only have two books left

Hidden Text:

of which is build up, to the stuff everyone is waiting on or hoping for i.e Danny actually getting to Kings Landing and the Others against Azor Ahai. Though the show for reasons of trying not to alienate the audience with heavy fantasy or spoilerish stuff keeps the prophecy stuff in the back ground so far.

Since they'll never film "A Dream of Spring" they obviously are just going to make the rest up right? Assuming the show is still popular by then and unless "Winds of Winter" has a Godfather Part 1 ish ending with the Others all defeated and we assume life just went on for those not dead.

there's a bit of discussion from those of us who've read the books on page 6 or 7 of this thread..
(there was a cool new chapter released from grrm a few weeks ago, well worth a gander if you haven't already).

u watched Rome right? the woman from it is in GoT this season..

this season is going to be brilliant.
really enjoyed e01. lots of great laughs - especially from the hound (who has obv been watching the wire boxset in his down time - quoting from omar little, "a man's got to have a code").
i had a hard time remembering where the tv show was at - i was half expecting it to open up where the last booked finished & initially was like, wtf? that guy's sill alive? isn't she meant to be somehwere else? haven't i already done all this?!
but when the penny dropped it was just, yea this is so fucking sweet..

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Should be an epic season. Solid opener.  Really liked how they opened with the reforming of Ned's sword. The Hound is genius as usual. Ara is such an interesting character. Really gonna enjoy her evolution through out the series. Scenes with Jon were good  as well as the wildlings. Danni fell short this episode and the recast of Dario is a fail. But dragons are dragons so she wins. Then there's the Lanisters and the beginning of the epicness that house will go through this season. Can't wait.

The ending of the show and the books will probably be about be the same. The creators of the show know how it all ends and pretty sure all the major events yet to happen. They would then just fill in the gaps.

They also got the job by correctly guessing who was Jons mother.

johndivney wrote:

R.I.P. you inbred little fuck!

i for one am going to miss him. if ever there was a character people loved to hate it was joffrey. it's like the term was coined especially for him.

the actor who played him was absolutely brilliant. hats off to him, he really brought him to life. he'll prob be typecast forever but he should take it as a compliment, he did a hell of a job.
an absolutely loathsome son of a bitch. he was great fun from the get go & never let up. he's prob the one i'll miss the most. every time he was on screen you were guaranteed a laugh at least if not something horrible.
a shitbag, but one of the great ones.

thought the ep as a whole was a good one. GrrM penned it - got thru the plots/exposition of the first 20mins or so really well - basically kept faithful to the novels. the kingslanding stuff was nearly all gold especially the viper/tywin exchange.
great tv.
best tv.

going to miss that little guy tho..

AtariLegend wrote:

Okay then, nevermind tongue.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Why would the Tyrrels want to kill Joffrey? They're the only ones losing something when their influence on the throne suffocates. The successor will be another Lannister, who actually come out better since he's likely not as crazy as his elder brother. And how can anyone believe for real Tyrion did it? He just happened to carry poison on his person in case he'd get the chance come near the kings cup without raising suspicion? Apparently most people in the books believe this.

That whole thing came off as killing him just to do it.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I hated that little fucker. Glad he is gone.  His mom is still hot.

johndivney wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Why would the Tyrrels want to kill Joffrey? They're the only ones losing something when their influence on the throne suffocates. The successor will be another Lannister, who actually come out better since he's likely not as crazy as his elder brother. And how can anyone believe for real Tyrion did it? He just happened to carry poison on his person in case he'd get the chance come near the kings cup without raising suspicion? Apparently most people in the books believe this.

That whole thing came off as killing him just to do it.

a bit yes, but also they wouldn't want her to be married to joffrey. would you want one of your family married to him?
they've already alluded to the fact they didn't trust him when they tried to bend sansa's ear & how he'd possibly treat margaery nevermind the possibility he'd lead them into another war eventually. it's safer if he's removed from the picture & they could possibly hope to manipulate tommen easier.

the people don't trust tyrion because they hate him & they assume he'd be capable of something like that. easy assumption to make in a place like westeros.. & he was caught red handed so to speak. but if joffrey hadn't been such an ass then suspicion wouldn't have fallen on tyrion, that was just a happy accident for the tyrells.

AtariLegend wrote:

What are the thoughts on the past two episodes?

I honestly loved last night's episode, thought it was one of the best episodes of a TV show I've seen. I watched it twice via dubious online streaming and tonight via Sky on a big TV with the volume turned up. Can't believe the bemusement from non book readers that this was anything other than the Dany/Tyrion show.

It's a shame though with the 10 episode a year format, alot of casual viewers are going to be really confused soon with the character overload and the characters that only show up once or twice a year. Fairly certain that

Hidden Text:

if Stoneheart shows up on Sunday, people won't remember the "brotherhood without banners" since it's been over a year.

I'll take a guess also that Jon getting elected Lord Commander will be saved till early next season. There's no way in next week's 66 minute episode they fit Mance, Stannis, Stoneheart, Tyrion/Tywin/Shae, Bran getting to the tree (and thus skipping ahead to ADWD territory) and whatever else I'm forgetting all in.

johndivney wrote:

they're going to have an awful lot of plot to get thru next week..

i expected/assumed they were going to devote an entire ep to this siege but my heart still sank a little when the show opened & it was really going to play out that way.
& then to dump a load of filler into the first 20mins kinda sucked the energy out of me.

think they could've done something/anything else in the first half & then dedicated the second half to castle black - hell, how long have arya & the hound been walking thru wsteros now?! why not wrap up some of that stuff instead of filling time w/made-up BS & dragging dialogue (nothing as egregious as tyrions beetle smashing speech tho - the nadir of the tv adaptation so far..)

that waste of time could've been spent actually wrapping up this particular wildlings thread - & giving

Hidden Text:

stannis

his moment of redemption w/o having to share the stage w/other HFS moments that are going to drop in ep 10. think they could've squeezed that in if they'd dispensed w/the fluff at the top of the ep.

& i'm also not too keen on this idea they've gone w/of bringing in neil marshall to do the big battle stuff - i think the in-house directors & crew have an affinity w/the characters & plot that gets lost when the guest directors come in & don't think the supposed technical gravitas of marshall is that special the regular directors couldn't emulate it..

now all that being said, i still enjoyed it. there was a lot to enjoy; the awesome tracking shot of the battle in the courtyard, the giant & his bow & arrow, the sword fights were just cool as shit..
it's just.. it could've been a little more even tho it was really fun??

i think the show has done a massive disservice to the nights watch/the others storyline. i think that approach harmed the impact of this episode. technically it was probably even better than blackwater but failed to carry the same impact on plot & character development (except for jon snow & thore - & maybe sam & janos).
the tv show is defo not as good as the books for this reason alone (& for other reasons).

Board footer