You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Tokyo '92 vs Vegas '14

misterID wrote:

I appreciate all the feedback, and I love hearing these opinions. My only beef is the kind of dismissing of the current guys... because they play too good tongue

And I understand the fact that you guys like "sloppy brilliance", which kind of blows my mind that you hold that 92 lineup so highly. I actually consider that lineup the worst. Duff and Slash were sloppy, but Gilby and Matt weren't, which is another reason why I didn't think that group meshed well together. And Matt was way more interested in being a rockstar over being in the band, imo. A lot like DJ, but I'd wager it's a much bigger deal for DJ to play with Axl than it was for Matt. The ritz era was the best version of the original guns. Bucket was the best of the new guys, but that 06 group was up there.

I know some guys like to try and discredit the new guys, where even the compliments are backhanded insults, to try and take away that they are a band, but I don't know how anyone can watch that Vegas show, especially Estranged, and say these guys don't feel these songs. The same for Nightrain. I'd go as far to say they have more feel for some these songs than the original guys, like November Rain.

Some things: the 92 band played the hell out of Civil War. Axl was the weak link, but they really shined there. The new guys played Jungle, Estranged, Mr. Brownstone and PC better, imo. Jungle sounds so much more darker and elevated... But it's impossible to match those 88 shows on those songs. And the entire band, including Axl, absolutely shine on the new songs.

Mikka, I love the Tokyo show too. That's why I watched it smile

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
misterID wrote:

I appreciate all the feedback, and I love hearing these opinions. My only beef is the kind of dismissing of the current guys... because they play too good tongue

I'd agree with this except for Ashba. He ain't that great, and you'll find that he simplifies the Slash stuff that he plays too.

The only solo I think he truly nails really, really good, is in Estranged. And thats one of my favourite solos in the entire GN'R catalog.

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:

I also agree that the Tokyo shows weren't the best example of that era either, I actually think they should've released one of the shows from 1993, from the Skin N Bones leg.
That would've been killer

misterID

misterID wrote:

Oh, I agree. 06 was a better lineup. DJ is good on a lot of stuff, but again, he tries to show off and ends up ruining it and that grates me. Like his Better solo. I actually think he does Bucket's Sorry solo very good. If he just played and stopped mugging, it would go a long way.

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:

Yeah, 2006 the band was great, and Axl looked and sounded killer. I still rate the Rock Am Ring gig as one of the best of the new era!

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

metallex78 wrote:

Yeah, 2006 the band was great, and Axl looked and sounded killer. I still rate the Rock Am Ring gig as one of the best of the new era!

I can agree with that statement!

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Saw new era in Vegas back in 2000. That was an amazing show. Best of new era for me.

1992 gets the band at their popularity peak. Living the life, not a cover band or nostalgia act. They were they real thing. The VHS tapes were bad, but the mix on DVD is so much better. Anyway, there were real deal rock stars then and not wannabes or wash ups. The real deal. That show has some magical moments that help make them what they are today. That Godfather was great. civil war. Nighttrain. NR don't cry patience all great. Live at the Ritz needs to be on blue ray and remastered. That was a fucking killer show.

misterID

misterID wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

I also agree that the Tokyo shows weren't the best example of that era either, I actually think they should've released one of the shows from 1993, from the Skin N Bones leg.
That would've been killer

They should have dropped a live DVD/CD box set with Live Era. Paris, Chicago and The Ritz. And that Perfect Crime documentary that's just gathering dust in Axl's closet. I don't understand just sitting on that stuff. And he would have made soooo much money releasing that. And he could still do it. Drop a Chinese Democracy box set with shows and all three albums and demos, remixes, with an original era box set.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

92 and it isn't close

one MAJOR thing u left out with Axl is the fact in 1992 he is singing WHILE RUNNING FUCKING SPRINTS ACROSS A GIGANTIC STAGE.

comparing Ron to Slash in anyway is laughable at best. He does generic EVH taps and completely fucks November Rain with the bullshit at the end.

misterID

misterID wrote:

27 year old vs a 50 year old? Running and sprinting while singing was not being judged. How about we compare based on wardrobes. Vegas Axl wins 16

fyi, I never compared Slash and Ron.

Board footer