You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Re: Slash - World on Fire Out Now

Mikkamakka wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

Having a first go.

Slash with a solid backing band / production.

Pros: Slash sounds good, Myles oft reminds me of Bruce Dickinson. Slash has a vocailst who's passable and can complement him.
Cons: Bit Iron Maiden at places, in feel at least. Slash lacks a vocalist who challenges him as an artist.

In short: Slash is doing what Axl should be doing. Of course, they should be doing this shit together, but Slash earns points for the effort. The band is good, but they are there to back up Slash. They are not the legacy unit of Duff and Matt, who click with him and push him positively.

To me, World on Fire is the most interesting solo album Slash has made. As a Post-GNR work, it still faces stiff competition from Contraband and It's Five O'Clock Somewhere, which are both more full-on band efforts. Contraband suffers from Slash being so buried in the mix, while IFOCS' heel is Eric Dover, who just appears out of place. WOF improves on their shortcomings in both counts, but Slash fails to completely utilize on their successes.

I've only heard 5 or 6 tracks, but one thing was clear for me: this is a real band and Todd N' Brent delivers just as much as Duff N' Matt/Steven could, or even more. Their playing is very strong and not some poor back-up work like what Josh Freese and whoever the bass player was did on Slash I. I liked what Todd N' Brent did on AL, but their stuff here is pure genius - based on the songs I've heard (Beneath The Savage Sun, World on Fire, Safari Inn, Stone Blind, Battleground, 30 Years to Life).

5 O'clock was a brilliant album though, that would be hard to top. Still my favourite GN'R-related release since AFD.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Well, nobody has called it shit yet... Maybe MrID and Axlin16 haven't seen this thread yet. Lol.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

What a fuckin spectacular album.  Loooooove it!

Whoever said DJs shitty Stars was better than Slash needs tone deaf surgery

Still digesting.  Not gonna property review till next week or so.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:

Yeah same I love it. I have listen to it 50+ times

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Lomax said that and has since rescinded his comment claiming new material to be amazing.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Gave most of the tracks a quick listen on shitty speakers. But I like what I hear so far. I'm not sure if I want to listen again or wait til it is released. But mostly likely will probably end up downloading it and giving a proper spin tomorrow. Glad to see it getting positive feedback.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

The lack of chatter here about this new album blows me away.  Seriously, anyone other than Gibbo, Metallex, and maybe Mikka/D listen to this?  Oh forgot Lomax.  This is a killer record!

I have restrained from listening yet.  Was gonna wait for my CR fan pack to arrive.  But I may relent and listen prior to then.

Gibbo

Gibbo wrote:

I was talking to Elvis today and asked him what he thinks Slash's favorite is this was his response.

He never said:) he always said he loved them all. I think for a writer it's like asking what kids your favorite. I think he loves Avalon a lot though.?

Gibbo

Gibbo wrote:

I was saying how most people on the forum are loving the album Elvis reply.

That's so rad:) tell em all thanks!! We worked really hard to make the record deep and not just cheap bullshit

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Gibbo, very cool you are tight with the producer... Are you chatting with him on twitter or facebook, email?

Board footer