You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Re: 20 Years Ago: The Snake and the Devil

Gibbo wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
Gibbo wrote:

That was Awesome!!! never heard that before..

That will learn you for not subscribing to my YouTube channel big_smile

johndivney wrote:

terrible film & one of the all time worst cover versions from anyone of anything, ever.

by some distance the worst thing gnr ever recorded/released.

axl sounds like he's desperately trying to squeeze out a shit. which is an apt metaphor for his career @ that stage (& since).

the original remains one of the greatest rock songs ever. tho i doubt it'd be in  my top 5 or even top 10 stone songs at this stage. it is amazing but i'm a bit removed from it now. the gnr version somehow lacks any of the menace & performance of the stones original. the gnr version is laughable & embarrassing actually, they truly had reached self parody by this time & this was like a giant face palm if such a thing existed back then.
blame it on too much coke..

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

How many times did he say "yeah", was that his trademark at the time? His voice was very different here.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Stones version is one of the greatest songs ever. Slash's solos rip on the cover though. Mick actually sounded like the devil trying to seduce you. Axl had the post Illusions ragged out voice. Still lots of power, but sounded strained. Not bad just different.

Agreed on the Slash parts, I absolutely love his lead guitar on this cover. It's classic Slash, and probably the only good about this cover

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

I like it, think I must be the only one. Much prefer the quicker tempo. The Stones version is a bit too ponderous imo.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

I like it, think I must be the only one. Much prefer the quicker tempo. The Stones version is a bit too ponderous imo.

I love their version. Like the original as well, but I can't help but crank the GNR version when I play it. I know it gets a lot of hate though. I remember a few years back, Fred Norris played it coming out of a commercial break on The Howard Stern Show. I was pumped, but Howard came back and said it was awful, or something along those lines. Took the wind out of my sails. I also played it for my wife awhile back, before she was my wife, and she wasn't fond of it either. I married her anyway. 16

To each their own I guess.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

How many times did he say "yeah", was that his trademark at the time? His voice was very different here.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I always loved this cover. And I dig Slash and Paul's guitar work. It sucks they were never able to work together.

Me_Wise_Magic
 Rep: 70 

misterID wrote:

I always loved this cover. And I dig Slash and Paul's guitar work. It sucks they were never able to work together.

Same here with you and the others that dig the cover! I really like the playing and performances on this version. It's so much fun to listen to.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:

Nice read apex, and Gibbo that Axl/Duff version of Sympathy is incredible big_smile Is the full track available in .ogg format?

Board footer